Housekeeping Refusal?

I recently booked a Galapagos cruise for 7 nights on Celebrity Xploration. I have never taken a cruise before in my life but I am really excited about this one! Seeing the Galapagos is my dream!

I travel a lot in and out of the US. One thing I dislike is housekeeping entering my hotel room. For multiple-night stays in a land-based hotel, I always keep the 'do not disturb' sign up and tell the front desk I don't want any interruptions. I ask when I need new towels. I set the room up how I like it after check-in and don't like the idea of someone being in there when I am away. I won't get into all the reasons but it makes me very anxious and stressed-out.

I realize this will be different on a 7-night cruise. We may need trash taken out and new towels periodically - I just don't think we need it every day. Ugh, one review says this staff enters your cabin SEVERAL TIMES A DAY. Is this true? Can I refuse at least some of the housekeeping/services as I do in a hotel?

If I have to compromise for my dream trip, so be it. I just want to know what to expect and prepare for. :)

Most of the ships have a small card that says "Do Not Disturb" it goes on the door or in the card slot. You can also talk to the cabin Steward and or guest services and tell them you do not want the cabin entered, unless you request service. When you are inside the cabin just double lock the door.

Talking to the cabin steward is the best way to get what you are looking for. My wife likes to keep the cabin her way also and we limit the requested services from the steward. It has never seemed to be a problem on our trips.

They never come in when you are there and as mentioned there is a do not disturb card you can put on the door if you need to be in the room and don't want them to disturb you.

The typical service is a morning room clean, bed make up, and towel replacement when you are at breakfast or have left the room for the day, and an evening room clean, bed turn down, and towel replacement that typically occurs when you are at dinner. That is part of the service that comes with your cruise fare. Why would you not want that? BTW there are safes in the room for your valuables and the staff is there to provide for you, not disturb you.

The cabin steward is in the hall the afternoon you board. He/she will speak to everyone in the cabins they are responsible for. That would be the time to discuss what you would want done. It is likely the steward's supervisor will check with you that everything is ok with the reduced service.

they must enter at least a couple of times during the week. security may even get involved. they need to check that you are not destroying the place, or smoking in the cabin. they don't rearrange your stuff at all. they will wipe down counters around anything you have left out. worse case scenario is they will take your jammies that are still on the bed and fold them and put your sunglasses on the towel elephant in the middle of the bed.

they usually come in twice a day - in the morning to take out the trash, clean and make the beds. In the evening for a turn down service. We don't need turn down service, so we tell the steward that and put the do not disturb card in in the evening.

We don't need cleaning services every day, so we used to put the do not disturb card in and just leave it there. You usually get a call after 2 days from the housekeeping manager, because the room must be cleaned. It was explained to me (on this board) that it's easier to clean the room in small increments every day than to leave the big clean up for the last day of the cruise.

Welcome to cruise critic. You mentioned you "like to set the room up" - remember your cabin is going to be much smaller than a hotel room; unless you have booked a large suite. Other than unpacking your clothes and toiletries, there isn't too much to set up.

Cabin stewards are quick and unobtrusive. They will make your bed, empty garbage, and put out towels. All of this is usually accomplished when you are out of the cabin. On an evening they do the same, except turn down bed.

You just need to remove the do not disturb sign when you leave for breakfast and dinner. Chances are your room will be serviced during that time.

In this day and age, I think you would draw security to your room by saying "do not disturb" all the time. Security needs to know you are not sick, or planning something far worse.

Also, you have paid for this service and steward gratuity will automatically be charged - why not use the service?

The passenger controls how much service they get. As the passenger you have several choices. Normal cabin service, reduce cabin service to times you not in the cabin, or to request cabin service when you are in the cabin, at set time, or no cabin service. It is your cruise The only time security may get involve is if you after never seen outside of the cabin. If your cabin steward says you have had do not disturb on the door, not seen by anyone, and your key cards not used. Then maybe a call from Guest Services to check upon the guest.

As was said before it is your cruise you control the service level within your cabin.

You cannot 100% refuse service. Its the steward's job to keep your cabin clean. If they don't do their job, they could get in trouble. If you really don't want service, on the first day when the steward introduces themselves to you, ask if they can get their supervisor so that you can explain your desire to them. Just note that they might need to come in every few days.

You cannot 100% refuse service. Its the steward's job to keep your cabin clean. If they don't do their job, they could get in trouble. If you really don't want service, on the first day when the steward introduces themselves to you, ask if they can get their supervisor so that you can explain your desire to them. Just note that they might need to come in every few days.

This is an excellent suggestion. Then you and the supervisor can work out an agreement. The Steward will be happy to comply.

My dh likes extra towels, cleanx and his sheets changed daily, he always talks to the supervisor on the day we board. Works out fine.

This is an excellent suggestion. Then you and the supervisor can work out an agreement. The Steward will be happy to comply.

My dh likes extra towels, cleanx and his sheets changed daily, he always talks to the supervisor on the day we board. Works out fine.

Why would he talk to the supervisor. By doing that, it implies that you do not trust your cabin steward. This could impact the steward's job rating. The steward could handle all of these things w/o involving the supervisor.

DON

Just out of curiosity, does your husband change the sheets at home daily, or do you?:confused:

The Xploration is a small expedition ship with small cabins. Ours had a bull's eye with a ledge on which we set up what we needed daily: binoculars, mosquito spray, sunscreen, tissues etc. There was barely any space next the bed. On other cruises, we spend much more time in the cabin and use our balcony often. On this cruise, we spent much more time outside and on panga (rubber dinghy) excursions.

If you don't want the steward in your cabin because you are picky with your possessions, bring your oldest and sturdiest suitcase. Embarkation is via tender and the suitcases go onto a separate half open barge. The longshoremen will pile them and step on the them while unloading.

First of all, there have been so many responses. Thank you for your time and thoughts!

We are all individuals and have different values, expectations, and comfort levels - clearly. And that's okay. I don't require or want my bed made or turned down. Trash removal is nice and can happen every couple days. I'd like to request towels when I need them. Other than that, I don't like the idea of anyone in my room when I am not there. Someone mentioned a "worst case scenario": steward folding my pajamas and putting my sunglasses on a towel animal. I would hate this and find it an invasion of my privacy. These are the kinds of things I am trying to avoid.

I have traveled in many different countries and have never had a problem with refusing housekeeping in a hotel. The point of my question was to gauge if it's much different on a cruise ship. It seems like they are entering the room several times a day more than a typical hotel and offering more "services" I don't want.

And I am not so worried about security and suspicions. We will be on a boat with only 16 passengers. I am sure we will all know each other well within a day or so!

First of all, there have been so many responses. Thank you for your time and thoughts!

We are all individuals and have different values, expectations, and comfort levels - clearly. And that's okay. I don't require or want my bed made or turned down. Trash removal is nice and can happen every couple days. I'd like to request towels when I need them. Other than that, I don't like the idea of anyone in my room when I am not there. Someone mentioned a "worst case scenario": steward folding my pajamas and putting my sunglasses on a towel animal. I would hate this and find it an invasion of my privacy. These are the kinds of things I am trying to avoid.

I have traveled in many different countries and have never had a problem with refusing housekeeping in a hotel. The point of my question was to gauge if it's much different on a cruise ship. It seems like they are entering the room several times a day more than a typical hotel and offering more "services" I don't want.

And I am not so worried about security and suspicions. We will be on a boat with only 16 passengers. I am sure we will all know each other well within a day or so!

I think everyone who responded assumed you were sailing on a regular Celebrity cruise ship. Responses were all geared to cruise ships - hallways, do not disturb signs, servicing of the cabin, security, etc.

I think most respondents did not realize the Xploration is not a cruise ship. It is a catamaran with 8 cabins - very different!

Perhaps you should ask on the Celebrity board as to how the catamaran is serviced. Might be totally different than a Celebrity cruise ship.

I think everyone who responded assumed you were sailing on a regular Celebrity cruise ship. Responses were all geared to cruise ships - hallways, do not disturb signs, servicing of the cabin, security, etc.

I think most respondents did not realize the Xploration is not a cruise ship. It is a catamaran with 16 cabins - very different!

Perhaps you should ask on the Celebrity board as to how the catamaran is serviced. Might be totally different than a Celebrity cruise ship.

That's a good suggestion. I didn't think of that. Thank you!!

That's a good suggestion. I didn't think of that. Thank you!!
Normally, a room steward services 15 cabins on a regular cruise. So, a catamaran with only 8 cabins may have only 1 room steward.

If the other 7 cabins are as kind as you and relieve him of his duties, he will be the luckiest room steward.

Getting paid a salary plus gratuities to relax and enjoy a FREE Galpagos cruise!

Edited by drsel

Considering the exhorbitant price of the Galpagos cruise, Celebrity has trouble even selling the 8 cabins.

How much did this cruise cost? Do you really think that it is worth it?

The price was high but comparable to other companies we were considering. We chose this because we had strict dates our cruise had to fit into. Also the boat and room looked clean and the catamaran seemed more stable in the water compared to the smaller yachts we were also looking into.

I can speak more to the value of the cruise once we return.

:eek:You change your sheets daily at home ???

That is a lot of extra work for naught

Normally, a room steward services 15 cabins on a regular cruise. So, a catamaran with only 8 cabins may have only 1 room steward.

If the other 7 cabins are as kind as you and relieve him of his duties, he will be the luckiest room steward.

Getting paid a salary plus gratuities to relax and enjoy a FREE Galpagos cruise!

That would be fine with me: win-win :)

That would be fine with me: win-win :)
Lol, but think of all the repurcussions. There will be so many quitting their jobs to become a cabin steward on a Galapagos islands cruise!

How many people do you know, who get PAID to relax and enjoy a free cruise to the exotic Galapagos islands???