Which line to change to

ScottC4746

I have a comparison question for everyone. Right now I am loyal to RCCL and have noticed a downshift in them over the years especially in quality of MDR, enforcement or lack there of, of dress code in MDR even on so called formal nights, entertainment, etc. My next choice in that company is Celebrity or Azamara after that while with Princess has so many other lines available but not sure if they offer the reciprocity that RCCL does among their lines. My problem is I have expensive tastes and a small budget but will not do Carnival

I too would suggest giving Celebrity a try.

We just recently (May 28th- June 6th) did after 25+ cruises with RCI. We did an amazing itinerary on Celebrity Eclipse....Ireland, Iceland & Scotland. The ship was beautiful, food great, wonderful Aqua class cabin and location.

However, onboard we were actually bored to death and we're low key cruiser's who don't need a lot of entertainment. Looking forward to getting back on RCI in 4 weeks.

We're so glad we gave it a try though.

We like both Celebrity and Azamara. You get reciprocal status with Celebrity based upon your Royal status; not so with Azamara. Azamara itineraries are typically very port intensive, lucky if you get one sea day in many of their 7 day plus trips; our 10 day eastern Med cruise required another vacation to rest up after we got home! The four different menu chef's tables offered on the Azamara Journey were absolutely fantastic (served 10 to 12 people at each dinner).

Celebrity's Canyon Ranch Spas are tops (also on Oceania) and much better than we found on Azamara.

Since we tend to entertain ourselves with reading, study, etc., can't say much about entertainment on either.

Our suggestion - Try both, but Celebrity first due to the potential 'status' upgrade as a repeat Royal cruiser.

We still normally cruise rccl, but have done princess and did celebrity a few months ago, we normally eat in specialty restaurants for rccl. Celebrity mdr is not that good, there buffet is very good, entertainment is weak. Princess has best entertainment not counting rccl. You may get perks on celebrity depending on your rccl status.

We like both Celebrity and Azamara. You get reciprocal status with Celebrity based upon your Royal status; not so with Azamara. Azamara itineraries are typically very port intensive, lucky if you get one sea day in many of their 7 day plus trips; our 10 day eastern Med cruise required another vacation to rest up after we got home! The four different menu chef's tables offered on the Azamara Journey were absolutely fantastic (served 10 to 12 people at each dinner).

Celebrity's Canyon Ranch Spas are tops (also on Oceania) and much better than we found on Azamara.

Since we tend to entertain ourselves with reading, study, etc., can't say much about entertainment on either.

Our suggestion - Try both, but Celebrity first due to the potential 'status' upgrade as a repeat Royal cruiser.

Azamara gives you the same status coming from Royal, same company.

On either Celebrity or Azamara do not expect big changes from Royal with the dress code.

Scott, I would estimate that something greater than 90% of all cruisers who have been loyal to one brand for a few years have complained about eroding standards and poorer food quality. I am not sure that I disagree. It is endemic across the industry.

That being said, I think trying a new line is an excellent idea. If you want to carry your loyalty level with you, Celebrity sounds like the easy one to try. I have only one experience with Celebrity, and it was 14 years ago, but it was excellent.

In my view here is the really good news, If Celebrity disappoints, you just move on to another one.

The OP's post talks about one of my pet peeves which is this thing about "loyalty." I am loyal to my wife, kids, grandchildren, friends, etc. But why on earth would I be "loyal" to a cruise line, resort, etc. The truth is that no cruise line is "loyal" to me and I have been cruising extensively for over forty years. Sure, we get a few perks because we have spent 10s of thousands of dollars with a particular cruise line. So what. It is just a marketing ploy and we now blow off most of the perks such as cocktail parties where we wait in line, get packed into a room..all for a lousy cocktail.

So I say, congratulations to the OP for wising up :). We used to do a lot of cruising on RCI (our DD was Diamond by age 15) but gave up on that line about 10 years ago when they totally sold out their soul for large floating resorts that are nothing like being on a real ship. As to what to try next, why not move completely away from the RCI family and try something different. Perhaps one of the newer Princess ships would be a good change. My problem with Celebrity (we are Elite Plus on this line) is that its current CEO comes from the RCI Line and seems to be implementing similar cut backs that we saw on RCI.

Hank

Similar to the OP, we used to sail almost exclusively with a single Line (Princess), until their reduction in standards finally failed to meet our expectations.

If Royal is not meeting your needs, you should be aware that they also own Celebrity & Azamarra, so no guarantee the parent company will not be reducing standards across the Board.

In our situation, we are cutting ties entirely with the Carnival Group - we won't try HAL or Cunard, so we are booking our next cruise with Viking Ocean. They will certainly meet the quality of the OP, but note the base price is higher. The other option we considered was Oceania.

Good luck finding a new Line meeting your needs.

I too would suggest giving Celebrity a try.

We just recently (May 28th- June 6th) did after 25+ cruises with RCI. We did an amazing itinerary on Celebrity Eclipse....Ireland, Iceland & Scotland. The ship was beautiful, food great, wonderful Aqua class cabin and location.

However, onboard we were actually bored to death and we're low key cruiser's who don't need a lot of entertainment. Looking forward to getting back on RCI in 4 weeks.

We're so glad we gave it a try though.

“...actually bored to death...”

Certainly no need, nor even possibility, of ANY further cruising.

he is right, you know. We love Regal and Royal Princesses because the food is fantastic and we are major gluttons. However, unless your kid is in kid's club, there is nothing for a FAMILY with an elementary school aged kid to do. NADA.

That's why our next cruise is on the Allure. Yes, I know, we'll take a major hit in the food department, but we will have fun as a family - ice skating, carousel, zipline, kid aqua park, shows, etc.

Yeah! We have heard this "bored" issue from quite a few other cruisers when socializing onboard ships. In nearly every case it was from folks that only cruised on 1 or 2 lines. When we tell folks we have cruised on 14 lines (the 15th is coming up this Nov) they seem shocked and ask us why we try so many lines. Our answer has always been that the variety always keep cruising fresh and exciting and after more then 40 years of extensive cruising...every cruise is still lots of fun. Every cruise line has its pros and cons...but its the constant changes in terms of entertainment, cuisine, routine, etc. that add to the fun. We think a growing problem with Celebrity is that they have been bringing in many of their top management from RCI. And then these folks make many of the same mistakes with X as they did with RCI. This is very apparent with Celebrity's current CEO who has all but destroyed Celebrity's unique niche.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

Well, taking the plunge. Trying HAL's Eurodam in April and the DH and I are planning a HAL cruise for August to Alaska. Everything I have read on HAL's website and on the boards seems like this is what we have been looking for. However, we will be a tad on the young side but I have always been told that I am a young body but lean on the older side I am 53 and DH is 46. We have been advised to do the my time dining as 530 PM we would definitely be the new kids on the block and for 8 PM is just too late to eat a five course meal and then off to bed if we don't do a show.

We have seen a downward shift in recent years with RCCL as well and have moved to Celebrity - and have been happy with the move. But they are also relaxed in their dress code, so if consistency among fellow passengers regarding formal wear on the chic nights at Celebrity is important, be prepared that there will be a variety of nice dress, but not suits and gowns with all.

The food and personal level of attention is measurably better IMO with Celebrity, but the cruising style is also different. There are not the different venues and activities found on the larger RCCL ships as their orientation with their demographics is more adult focused and not as much family focused. But we prefer that now.

So far, they brand identities and service level differences have been maintained between the two. But it is interesting to me that the changes we've perceived with RCCL in recent years have occurred during the tenure of the current RCCL president, who assumed that role as the former Celebrity president replacing the RCCL president who moved into the RCI parent company leadership role. Hopefully his influence remains with the RCCL brand and Celebrity doesn't follow suit.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We have seen a downward shift in recent years with RCCL as well and have moved to Celebrity - and have been happy with the move. But they are also relaxed in their dress code, so if consistency among fellow passengers regarding formal wear on the chic nights at Celebrity is important, be prepared that there will be a variety of nice dress, but not suits and gowns with all.

The food and personal level of attention is measurably better IMO with Celebrity, but the cruising style is also different. There are not the different venues and activities found on the larger RCCL ships as their orientation with their demographics is more adult focused and not as much family focused. But we prefer that now.

So far, they brand identities and service level differences have been maintained between the two. But it is interesting to me that the changes we've perceived with RCCL in recent years have occurred during the tenure of the current RCCL president, who assumed that role as the former Celebrity president replacing the RCCL president who moved into the RCI parent company leadership role. Hopefully his influence remains with the RCCL brand and Celebrity doesn't follow suit.

I had wanted to try Celebrity, but I have read on posts that they are going downhill as well. Apparently the CEO of RCCL that changed the brand up so much is not CEO of X and appears to be doing the same. We will see what happens on my HAL cruises. Right now, financially, that is all the higher price I can afford at this time is HAL. I'd love to do Cunard or Seabourn but $$$$.

I had wanted to try Celebrity, but I have read on posts that they are going downhill as well. Apparently the CEO of RCCL that changed the brand up so much is not CEO of X and appears to be doing the same. We will see what happens on my HAL cruises. Right now, financially, that is all the higher price I can afford at this time is HAL. I'd love to do Cunard or Seabourn but $$$$.

Well we've only cruised Celebrity on four cruises in the last two years, but have not seen any decline in our experience and will say that they are better than what RCCL is offering now. It was the changes that the ex-Celebrity president did with RCCL since taking over there three years ago that moved us away from them. Thus far the new Celebrity president has not made changes that we've noticed in our admittedly brief two year experience.

We also like Celebrity and Princess in that order.

Added bonus is that your status on RCCL is honored on Celebrity. We are diamond on Celebrity, it is honored on RCCL.

I think you meant that the other way around - you are Elite (or higher) on Celebrity that is reciprocal with Diamond on RCCL. We are Diamond Plus on RCCL and our reciprocal status on Celebrity is Elite.

Scott, my first cruise on HAL was when I was 48 (not that long ago!). I certainly have never felt out of place on a HAL ship because of my age. I find HAL cruisers to be well travelled and friendly. On our first HAL cruise, one night I wasn't feeling well and planned to stay in and order room service rather than going to the MDR. My teenagers asked me if they could go to the dining room without me, because they enjoyed talking to the couple (in their 70's) who shared our table. The age of your fellow passengers doesn't really matter.

I hope you enjoy your HAL cruises.

We have never seen the point of being particularly loyal to any one cruise line. We certainly are not. We tend to be more interested in the ship than the cruise line. Especially these days as they all seem to be so inconsistent.

We have always cherry picked. The right itinerary, the right ship, the right price. We don't really care about the color of the funnel or the logo that might be on it. So far it has worked for us.