Star: Tips, tricks, favorite areas and foods?

cruisingteachers4

Try O'Sheehan's for breakfast - not nearly so busy as the Garden Cafe. Their omelettes are delicious as are their fish and chips for lunch :) Did not enjoy Moderno - sides were cold, the dining room was also cold and our table was in a bad position for draughts from the outside door. It seemed to be a major problem for them to close the dining room doors. Was disappointed in all of the speciality restaurants to be honest - NCL have not changed their menu in each of them for years. They need to remember that not everyone in the party is a meat eater e.g. when you go to Cagney's unless you like shrimp or the tasteless sea bass there is nothing else apart from meat! A bit more variety in all the menus would be good. We looked at the menus for the main dining rooms and they seemed to offer more variety of fish dishes, baked potatoes etc. I asked for some potatoes as a side at Le Bistro and the waiter nearly had a heart attack! No sides there whatsoever :( We would seriously reconsider buying the UDP on our next cruise as the main restaurants had food more to our taste. Having said all that, the crew were outstanding and the ship was well decorated and in good order

What time are the shows at the Stardust Theatre? Making dinner reservations and I want to allow for going to a show afterwards. Also, can you reserve tickets to the shows before the sailing?

19:30 and 21:30. No reservations either before sailing or when on board.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping someone can help me out here, got the UDP so we get 4 specialty dinners. Do any of the specialty dinning restaurants charge an extra fee or can we pick from any of them? I have read that Teppanyak, Cagney's & Le Bistro are all good, but have not heard very much on Moderno and nothing on La Cucina can anyone chime in on these. And if there are any other secrets to tell like the lobster tails and sitting near the back in Le Bistro please share

thanks Gail

and nothing on La Cucina

No charge for la cucina, not sure about Moderno. Our experience on the Star was that BIstro was the best, Teppanyaki very good and Cagney solid. We just got off the jade, where it was completely different, Cagney superb la cucina very good, teppanyaki so salty couldn’t eat it and bistro very disappointing

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone recommend lanyards/wrist badge holders? If so, do the key cards already have holes in them?

No hole but guest services can punch a hole if desired. I’ve never needed a lanyard but everyone has their own preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The answer is probably No, but do they have kettles in the inside cabins? I need my cup of tea.

No, in fact I have never seen a kettle in any cabin I have ever sailed in, so you get them on other cruises you have taken?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

You get kettles on some p and o ships i believe... a Brit loves a kettle. I aim to go in studios on ncl so I’m not far from tea and coffee in the lounge. They have coffee makers on the star.. but I think that’s only balcony and above?? I would just grab a tea from osheehans or the buffet... or get breakfast room service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The free coffee onboard was horrible, not even enough cream could mask the piss taste. Thankfully ,they serve Lavazza in the coffee shops (you must pay for). The

Garden buffet on the Star is a disaster, looks like an old cafeteria and your surrounded by swarms of people during breakfast times fighting for a seat. We went once and peaced out to the sit down restaurants for the rest of the trip.

The free coffee onboard was horrible, not even enough cream could mask the piss taste. Thankfully ,they serve Lavazza in the coffee shops (you must pay for). The

Garden buffet on the Star is a disaster, looks like an old cafeteria and your surrounded by swarms of people during breakfast times fighting for a seat. We went once and peaced out to the sit down restaurants for the rest of the trip.

Osheehans is our godsend on the Star, we are usually a bit late for brekkie in the mdr so head there. Refuse to eat in the cafeteria I mean lido.

No, in fact I have never seen a kettle in any cabin I have ever sailed in, so you get them on other cruises you have taken?

All P & O ships have kettles in the cabin. There were kettles in the cabin on Jade last year, sailing out of Venice. I think it is if they have lots of British passengers. Also been on Princess and RCL when there have been kettles, though not always. Fingers cossed. I like my cuppa first thing in the morning and I like it hot, not from room service.

All P & O ships have kettles in the cabin. There were kettles in the cabin on Jade last year, sailing out of Venice. I think it is if they have lots of British passengers. Also been on Princess and RCL when there have been kettles, though not always. Fingers cossed. I like my cuppa first thing in the morning and I like it hot, not from room service.

I just sailed the Jade in June and definitely did not have a kettle in our oceanview cabin. Maybe you are allowed to request one?

I have been on 2 hal ships, 3 Celebrity ships, 3 ncl ships, one regent and never had a kettle... I might need to try requesting one.

I just sailed the Jade in June and definitely did not have a kettle in our oceanview cabin. Maybe you are allowed to request one?

I have been on 2 hal ships, 3 Celebrity ships, 3 ncl ships, one regent and never had a kettle... I might need to try requesting one.

I think it may be when the ships sail from Southampton or are expecting lots of British cruisers. Never had to request a kettle but sometimes had to go without. Just meant more trips to the buffet.

hey I was waiting for the reply to the questions about teens and activities our family will be aboard for Christmas 8,12,16,17,20 yr old grandkids ,their parents and of course us!! tried to find out what special activities like egg drop or dances or challenges and other ones we need to prepare for thanks

I am looking forward to the Star! What is the best seafood on board, in everyone's opinion?

I really love the mussels (Appetizer) and Bouillabaisse (Main Entree) in Le Bistro. I also like the fish and chips at O'Sheehans and yes, I know there are a lot of people who hate it.

I really love the mussels (Appetizer) and Bouillabaisse (Main Entree) in Le Bistro. I also like the fish and chips at O'Sheehans and yes, I know there are a lot of people who hate it.
Thanks so much!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/25/2018 at 10:17 AM, cpcanuck said:

One of the MDR’s will be open. Check the Freestyle daily information sheet. It will list what meal venues are open and for how long. You will tend to be encouraged to go to buffet. That’s what they hope you will do on the first day.

It will close at 1:00 pm. We missed it last time because of long lines checking in.