NCL Joy coming to West Coast year round

LrgPizza

holy crap that is a lot of money to spend on a brand new ship.

given the large Asian population on teh west coast, why not try it out as is, aside from making menus in english, etc.

Should have the District Brewhouse added don't you think?

Sandra

Should have the District Brewhouse added don't you think?

Sandra

Since it says they are going to "bring her designs and offerings to be virtually identical to those of her sister ship, Norwegian Bliss", I think that can be assumed.

You know it's not enough demand. The thing that surprises me is how they could so badly screw up projections.

Alaska is a lucrative market. With Apollo sell off... the gaming aspect of the joy was likely not as lucrative in China. I suspected this switch after the huge success of the Bliss Alaska and rumors of the Pearl in Europe.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/ncl-pulls-joy-from-china-adds-europe-australia-ships.html

Norwegian Spirit heading to China seasonally

Norwegian Pearl's new Europe routes

Norwegian Jewel and Jade to Australia and Asia

Norwegian Spirit to receive 'Edge' enhancements

Spending that money !

Celebrity spending $500million to refurb entire fleet, super competitive.

NCL site: https://www.ncl.com/travel-blog/norwegian-joy-to-join-sister-ship-bliss-in-alaska-2019?intcmp=pdt_JoyMeetsBliss

Edited by pspercy
Added NCL link.

I hope Norwegian is smart about it an offers a variety of Mexico cruises i.e. Sea of Cortez, a stop in Acapulco, 8, 9, 10 day itineraries instead of the same old 7 day 3 port itineraries.

I agree - that would be awesome! More options for the West Coast. We did a 9-day on the Star this past March and loved the itinerary and would love to see more!

With Apollo sell off... the gaming aspect of the joy was likely not as lucrative in China.

I'm not familiar with what "Apollo sell off" is or what this sentence means, but I am very curious. Can someone explain further, or point me to some reading material that would enlighten me?

I hope Norwegian is smart about it an offers a variety of Mexico cruises i.e. Sea of Cortez, a stop in Acapulco, 8, 9, 10 day itineraries instead of the same old 7 day 3 port itineraries.

Absolutely. Done two Mexican west coast cruises, no reason to do another unless they change up the itineraries.

I wonder what will happen to all the Chinese speaking staff they specifically hired and trained for the Joy.

I imagine many will staff the Spirit on the seasonal cruises to China but I can't help but think many will be out of a job