NCL Newbie... need suggestions

nb1005

Hi All,

Have an issue that I could use some feedback on. This is my first time sailing with NCL although I have sailed on Carnival and RCCL at least 10 times each. I was looking to do a Partial transit Panama Canal cruise with my mom as it is on her bucket list and came across one on the Jade in November.

When I booked this cruise I called and spoke with a rep that was very nice and helpful. I decided on a Obstructed Ocean View guarantee cabin that the website specifically states "Deck 8".

Fast forward today, after final payment and I notice I have been assigned a porthole cabin on deck 4. When I called I was told that there was nothing that can be done and the cabin can not be changed once assigned.

How can they assign me a cabin on deck 4 when I specifically booked a obstructed ocean view on deck 8?

I have spoken to my cruise planner, his manager, the help desk and someone name Troy in escalations who was extremely rude with no success and no explanation on why I got a cabin on deck 4.

Should I just let this be and go and enjoy this cruise or should I try to escalate it higher and to whom would I contact.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have...thank you in advance

I booked an Obstructed Oceanview cat OK and paid in full at the time of booking which was done over the phone and verified by the Personal Cruise Consultant that it would be Deck 8.

I was also told by the rude escalations representative that calls are not recorded, which I find hard to believe.

We loved our port hole cabin on deck 4 of the Jade (midships not obstructed) it had a real porthole with a hatch which could be battened down so felt like you were on a real ship. Also on deck 4 if you have big seas you occasionally get what we called a "blue out" where the water tops the porthole this was a highlight of our transatlantic. I did a detailed review of our trip which may be of help. (hope the link works)

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2639206

If you booked an OK guarantee, that means you can be placed in any stateroom of OK category or better. What is your assigned category now? If the letter following the "K" is lower than K or it is a number instead of a letter, like "O2", then you have been placed in a "better" category by NCL's guidelines. I personally think the porthole cabin sounds fun, I say give it a shot, have a great vacation, and now you've learned a valuable lesson for future bookings!

There’s no one to escalate this to. If you want a particular cabin category you are best to book a particular cabin. As others said, there’s no ‘guarantee’ category that guarantees a particular cabin category. It guarantees that category OR better. So, in theory could book an inside guarantee and be assigned a balcony or a suite. Unfortunately, what the cruise line considers ‘better’ and what you consider ‘better’ aren’t always the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry you didn't get the cabin you were hoping for, NB -- that's always my concern about booking guarantees. You may get a chance to bid on an upgrade, but again, it would just be for a specific class, not a cabin.

I'm on the same sailing, also with my Mom -- hope you'll join our Roll Call!!