"Best of Ocho Rios" NCL tour help

Hydro ergo

Hi!

I tried posting this on the Ocho Rios page, but haven't received any responses. Given that it's an NCL tour, I thought I would try here too...

Has anyone out there done the "Best of Ocho Rios" tour with NCL? It stops at Dunn's River Falls, Konoko Falls and Park, and a drive through Fern Gully. I don't usually take the ship tours, but this is my first time sailing with NCL and I have a shore excursion credit. Thought I might make use of it if possible. I am an active female, mid-30s, travelling solo. And the solo part is also making me think and organized excursion might be best in this port. I have heard mixed things about Ocho Rios and while I am very comfortable travelling solo, I do want to be safe and smart. Sorry, that was a bit of a tangent, but thought some background might help. Thanks much!

Several fellow passengers loved that excursion when we we were on the jade several months ago .We took the Spirit of Ochoa Rios tour and loved it. Both have long drives but felt very safe. Tanisha was our tour guide and she was excellent. Garden was beautiful and it was all very educational. If you're active I imagine you will like the Best of tour

We didn't do that exact excursion, but we were in Ocho Rios on an NCL cruise last January. We did an NCL excursion (bobsledding) and then ventured out on our own to Turtle Beach afterwards. I can't relate to the single female travelling alone, as I was with both DH and a male friend, but we did feel safe (if you don't mind the vendors).

The tour sounds very nice!

We did a private tour and they dropped us off there and we did it on our own up the falls. No issues in the park but when you leave the vendors are horrible.

Indeed, the vendors as you leave Ocho Rios are very aggressive. My strategy when we were there was to say in a friendly but firm voice, "no thank you" while continuing to walk. Don't stop even if they call after you. Don't cave because you're worried about seeming rude. However if you do see something you're interested in, by all means look. But if you decide not to make a purchase, say "thank you" and be on your way. If the vendor calls after you, don't turn around or respond (you've already given a polite "thank you"). We always stick to this strategy when we are in places with relentless vendors. The key is to be firm but polite.

Thanks for the comments about the vendors; we will be there next year and that is good to know.

Yep. They will try to put things in your hands, obstruct your way, then call you names for saying "no thank you". Maybe NCL should hire them to be the washy-washy people or work in the art gallery.

Several fellow passengers loved that excursion when we we were on the jade several months ago .We took the Spirit of Ochoa Rios tour and loved it. Both have long drives but felt very safe. Tanisha was our tour guide and she was excellent. Garden was beautiful and it was all very educational. If you're active I imagine you will like the Best of tour

Thanks Napper, this sounds great!