Alaska - DIY Land & Coral Princess SB June 13, 2018

Tyskie

Thank you for your time. We go June 13- July 1, 2019. DYI and Princess Land/cruise. Fairbanks, Vancouver and Seattle. What did you wear in the dinning room? Any advice? Thanks

We were pretty casual as most are on the Alaskan cruises.

DH wore travel pants or dress pants - either with golf shirt or dress shirt. No jacket.

I wore either black dress pants & tops or causal dresses (I have a lot of packable travel dresses). I left the heels at home & wore ballerina type flats.

We found AT dining worked best with this trip

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for your detailed report. I'm starting to plan a very similar trip next June.

Have a great trip-it’s overwhelming at times but so worth it. Would be willing to answer any questions [emoji199]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the terrific review! I was just reading through it and getting excited for our trip this June! Royal Princess northbound. We haven’t decided how long to stay in Anchorage or Victoria. It will be my in-laws first cruise and first time to Alaska. DH and I went for our honeymoon but did a round trip so we haven’t done Anchorage. Thanks for all of the excursion ideas! My MIL really wants to do the train in Skagway. Would you recommend combining Dyea Dave with the train? Or some other tour? Or just train round trip? We will also have my 7-month old son with us so trying to keep excursions simple and no longer than half-day. Fortunately he sleeps anytime he’s in the car seat, so he’s a great traveler already!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 4:36 PM, Tyskie said:

aa31a96b3af73b4eaad483a292773794.jpg

4337419b3e8ad020355ac423932fdc47.jpge6ebf09f80239e0ba6d5e63f09a20e4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where did you see the puppies at?  We were on the same cruise and took the tour with Chilkoot however, the puppies in Carcross were 16 weeks old so they were big.  I was a little disappointed.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:58 PM, sciteach11 said:

Thank you for the terrific review! I was just reading through it and getting excited for our trip this June! Royal Princess northbound. We haven’t decided how long to stay in Anchorage or Victoria. It will be my in-laws first cruise and first time to Alaska. DH and I went for our honeymoon but did a round trip so we haven’t done Anchorage. Thanks for all of the excursion ideas! My MIL really wants to do the train in Skagway. Would you recommend combining Dyea Dave with the train? Or some other tour? Or just train round trip? We will also have my 7-month old son with us so trying to keep excursions simple and no longer than half-day. Fortunately he sleeps anytime he’s in the car seat, so he’s a great traveler already!

We took the Dyea Dave tour to Yukon and returned via train.  I would suggest the train, especially if it's not part of any other tour you choose to do.  It was a long day but broken up by stops and lunch in Carcross.  Tour dropped us at the train in Fraser then picked us up from the station and returned us to the ship area.   Teens on the train looked bored (they weren't on the tour with us) honestly don't know how your son will do, only you know best.

1 hour ago, sadoan said:

Where did you see the puppies at?  We were on the same cruise and took the tour with Chilkoot however, the puppies in Carcross were 16 weeks old so they were big.  I was a little disappointed.

We were on the Dyea Dave tour to Yukon (I'm sure they were similar if not the same)  The puppies were before the Carcross Desert and town.  Honestly, I can't remember the exact name of the place.  I'm adding two pictures so maybe you can tell if it was the same.

2 minutes ago, sadoan said:

I don't recognize it but we saw so much LOL

Honestly, other than the puppies, there wasn't much to see.  They did have a wheeled land cart for rides but we had already done a helicopter glacier dog sled, that was the BEST!!!

• 2 months later...
On 7/7/2018 at 10:14 AM, Tyskie said:

***Really having trouble with my pictures and sizing - will post the rest of my trip report and if there is a specific picture you are looking for, let me know. I might try to post more at the end. Thanks so much for following along!

6/17 Juneau (dampand overcast) - We chose the Mendenhall Lake Canoe https://www.alaskatraveladventures.com/day-tours/juneau/mendenhall-lake-canoe This same tour can be done directly thruPrincess. There was a savings by booking ourselves. Totally enjoyed our tour –paddled in a Tlingit style canoe – total of 8 people with guide TJ – to theMendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls. We returned to town and went to the RedDog Saloon and slowly made our way back to the ship, stopping at Taku to send some salmon products home.

Tonight was Formal Night – Captain’s Cocktail Party. Dinner in the Bayou Café – very good and accommodating for some food concerns.

6/18 Ketchikan (75+degrees, sunny & breezy)– We did the walking tour to the Totem Heritage Center and made our way back by another route, following the stream, Married Men’s Trail, Creek Street, Dock area. Dropped off our purchases and met our Princess tour: Floatplane tour MistyFijords and George Inlet Lodge for the never-ending crab! Oh so good! Bottomless AK beer too. Made it back just in time for sail-a-way.

Princess notes:

6/19 Sea day and you all know what that means: Packing ugh!

9-12noon – shopping in Provence DR

11:30 Pub lunch

4:30 Pop Choir

8:30 Voice of the Ocean

9:45 Crew show

Vancouver (sunny & warm)

6/20 Off shipearly for Canada Place Fly-Over (great) and meeting up with our private tour ofVancouver https://vancouverprivatetours.com Our tour guide was Matt and I totally recommend them & him. Pricey but itfit our needs. BTW – everything we didin Canada we used our CC for the free exchange rate. Hotel – we settled on the Auberge Vancouver http://www.aubergevancouver.com Totally happy with the location and accommodations. They upgraded us to a suite and had a fabulous view of the harbor. Able to see the HAL ship and Coral leave that afternoon. Pricing was reasonable for location & Vancouver. We had dinner with friends we met on the Island Princess in the Mediterranean at Cardero’s https://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos Strongly suggest reservations otherwise you will be waiting forever – excellent food and service – we dined outside, lovely(hot) evening. Able to walk from ourhotel.

6/21 – Vancouver - Day 2 (overcast in the am but then sunny & breezy) Nightof the red-eye back to NY. We took ourtime – repacked a few things – light breakfast in hotel (included). Wandered the city, actually saw the Steamclock in Gastown at the 11am hour. Wehad a light lunch at ARC Fairmont. Nice view of Canada Place and excellent food & wine. Went to Vancouver Lookout (360 view), TheChrist Church Cathedral, and Bill Reid Museum – a nice way to spend theafternoon. It was soon time for the airport. We wanted to take Sky Train, alas, we had too much luggage so taxi it was. We had a light supper/snack at the airport and it was red-eye all theway home! Immigration went well in NYand we were home by 9:30am on Long Island.

Things we bought: ULU Knives- Anchorage (had them shipped home), the obligatory hats (1Red Dog Saloon, 3 Alaska) 2-tee shirts from ship, Taku salmon products – Juneau(shipped home)2 wooden puzzle ornaments from Creekside store inKetchikan – we did see the larger wooden puzzles – they were amazing – but for$129 – we passed, lol

Wished we had: agood hand cream – with all the hand washing & Purell, hands got really dry- DH could have used another flannel shirt (only took 1)

What we had: DH - LLBeanfleece & wind jacket. (Not neededwas his heavier all weather type jacket). I had LLBean rain jacket & vest. Also a zippered fleece, 1 fleece pull-over,cashmere sweater and various shirts. (I’m always cold but was completely comfortable) I wore gloves in Denali in am (38degrees),glacier dog sled, Hubbards Glacier day and Mendenhall Canoe trip. We don’t hikeso wore sneakers that I waterproofed (it never rained that hard to know if theywere truly waterproof). Never used ourrain ponchos but still would pack them. Didnot wear ski hat but wore ball cap. Iused “fashion” scarves for a pop of color.

Did not wear: Brought too many tee shirts for DH, could have left the dresses(3) at home and just stuck with dress pants & tops. Ski hats. Shorts – we brought 2 ea. and wore one pr. in Vancouver.

We had pretty good weather, we heard some tours got weather canceled in Skagway or Juneau but can’t confirm

Willing to answer questions.:cool:

What did you think of the floatplane over Misty Fjords?  It’s a little pricey so I’m trying to determine if it’s really “worth” it.  I know that’s subjective, but what did you think?

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:46 PM, Mediterranean_Honeymooner said:

What did you think of the floatplane over Misty Fjords?  It’s a little pricey so I’m trying to determine if it’s really “worth” it.  I know that’s subjective, but what did you think?

Our flight was combined with the George Inlet Lodge for Crab Feast.  The flight was very good, best views were next to the pilot and the second row.  DH was in second row along with another gentleman (200+lbs), I was in the 3rd row along with another woman (average weight) and then there was a 4th row.  I felt my view was diminished a bit by being in the 3rd row - but it all goes by weight.  It was a "one and done" type of thing (for me) - if I were to return to Ketchikan, we would definitely do the Crab Feast.

My feeling was to see as much as we could see & not have any regrets.  The chances that we return to AK are rather slim - there are so many other places on our travel list.  Would love to go back to Europe next, either the Baltics or River Cruise. 

(We cruise the Caribbean just for relaxation & partying with family & friends.)

Have a great trip! (sorry it took so long to respond - without the mobile app, I'm not on CC that much anymore)

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 11:01 AM, Tyskie said:

Our flight was combined with the George Inlet Lodge for Crab Feast.  The flight was very good, best views were next to the pilot and the second row.  DH was in second row along with another gentleman (200+lbs), I was in the 3rd row along with another woman (average weight) and then there was a 4th row.  I felt my view was diminished a bit by being in the 3rd row - but it all goes by weight.  It was a "one and done" type of thing (for me) - if I were to return to Ketchikan, we would definitely do the Crab Feast.

My feeling was to see as much as we could see & not have any regrets.  The chances that we return to AK are rather slim - there are so many other places on our travel list.  Would love to go back to Europe next, either the Baltics or River Cruise. 

(We cruise the Caribbean just for relaxation & partying with family & friends.)

Have a great trip! (sorry it took so long to respond - without the mobile app, I'm not on CC that much anymore)

Thanks for the review.   We are on on the Royal this August.  The Sancuary for Glacier Bay.   Did you rush right up there when you boarded to secure a spot?  What do you think about a Cabana?  Thanks  

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:06 PM, milolii said:

Thanks for the review.   We are on on the Royal this August.  The Sancuary for Glacier Bay.   Did you rush right up there when you boarded to secure a spot?  What do you think about a Cabana?  Thanks  

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - since they updated CC it's impossible to use the mobile app.

The Sanctuary is totally different Coral vs. Royal - really can't compare the two. 

#1  The viewing area on the Royal has the plexi-glass type windows which many feel would hamper the view. 

#2  Coral's sanctuary is in the aft - no dividers or windows (whatever you want to call them)

#3  There is no need to rush right up - last June there were still quite a few empty loungers and we booked the day before.  Go up, take a look around.

For us it worked wonderfully well but it's not for everyone.  It was nice to be pampered!

See post #29 in my review for pictures of the sanctuary.

Edited by Tyskie

Thank you for your reply.  I knew it might take a few days.  I appreciate it.  

I am leaning towards the Sanctuary for the pampering, and quiet.  We may move around the ship durning the day as well.  I will most likely make my poor husband head with me straight to the Sanctuary after we board. We are in a suite but this is our firstPrincess Cruise.  He will probably want the cabana.  Lol. 

I have  read much about the Coral  vs the Royal for Alaska.  The dates and port times for the Coral do not work for us.  I guess the bigger ship get the better options.  At least for us! 

Anyway, thanks again.  Love  you pics and review.  You guys are a handsome group!