Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

A trick we use at home and away is to spritz with water in a squirt bottle (Dollar Tree!). Downy makes a 'wrinkle release' spray, which is basically water with chemical scents added. I never had any luck with steaming in a bathroom, but this works every time!

Enjoy!

Since you’ll wear your coverup over your suit to/from the pool, grabbing breakfast or lunch on the way, and for beach-oriented shore excursions, I’ve always opted for a longer (knee length) sundress or beach dress as a coverup. There are tons out there. I tend to do my swimsuit shopping on swimsuitsforall.com and they have some great coverups. This year Old Navy has a great little tank dress in stretchy fabric and a ton of colors for under $20 so I grabbed a couple of those for this year. I live in FL and use these all summer for trips to the pool and beach so I have probably 15 of them. They actually double as sleep dresses too if you’re trying to save room in your luggage.

I did this with a $15 sundress I found at Sam's club. I prefer a little more coverage than traditional cover-ups provide;)

A trick we use at home and away is to spritz with water in a squirt bottle (Dollar Tree!). Downy makes a 'wrinkle release' spray, which is basically water with chemical scents added. I never had any luck with steaming in a bathroom, but this works every time!

Enjoy!

If you want odor removal along with wrinkle release, adding some vodka to your spray bottle is a trick my kids school uses for theatre costumes. It would be somewhat pricy onboard (unless you already have Cheers), but might be worth it considering the cost of laundry. At home it would be much more cost efficient;). Vodka makes a good glass and jewelry cleaner too if you don't drink it.

• 3 months later...

I have not posted in ever so long, but ladies (and gents, possibly, too?), when I thought of this question, you are the first people I thought of consulting!

I have finally acquired a smart phone (some of you who are, like myself, of a "certain age" may understand why I use the term "finally...";)), and one of the reasons I got a smartphone so was so that I could install a wardrobe organizing app! But now comes the decision: which app! (I have an iphone, though I doubt that makes much difference in my options.)

Since posters here are clearly interested in things sartorial, I apply to you all:

Can you recommend a wardrobe app that you have used and love? I am particularly interested in an app which might allow me to use the clothes photos I already have stored on my laptop. (In other words, I'd rather not have to retake all my pix with my phone!). In addition,I'd rather not have to spend time removing the background from my clothes photos -- I am OK with using all my old photos of individual items with neutral backgrounds. I have been using "Victoria's Clothes Organizer" on my PC for many years, so I have a huge collection of clothes photos for that. I like the program very much, but there is no app.

I would like to use the phone app to keep track of outfits I have put together and when I have worn them, and I also particularly value a really good packing list function -- you know why!!!

I value your opinions! Thanks!

I still don't have one (smartphone):eek:……..I should probably breakdown and get one but my little flip phone works...….I am guessing one day I will be told "it is no longer serviceable":o

I still don't have one (smartphone):eek:……..I should probably breakdown and get one but my little flip phone works...….I am guessing one day I will be told "it is no longer serviceable":o

Hi Lois,

Here’s my story about getting my first smartphone. I too had a flip phones that worked well and I loved. It was so uncomplicated. My first night with the smart phone. I sat looking at it and asked myself “what have I done?” I didn’t know how to use it and I was sure all I would ever do was make and receive calls. A few days later, I again sat looking at it but this time I asked myself “how did I ever get along without this?” I laugh now when I think about that and I still don’t know how I would get along without one.

Sharon

In the past I have used a free app, Stylish Girl. You take pics of clothes, save them, and put the pics together like a puzzle. After that I would use Upacking List to check everything off. Now I just kinda wing it.

Thanks for your response. Since you have stopped using Stylish Girl, may I ask why? I'm looking for people's actual experiences, both good and bad.

Is Upacking List an app of its own, or a function of Stylish Girl? I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks!

I love the Stylebook app. It's helped me streamline my closet. Every time I make a new purchase I just screenshot a picture of the item, and add it to my digital closet.

Stylebook does seem to be pretty popular - did you have issues with removing the background from shots of your clothes, as many people seem to have? Do you have to remove the background to use Stylebook? I already have digital photos on my computer of almost all my clothes, and I would rather not spend the time removing backgrounds if it's not necessary.

Stylebook does seem to be pretty popular - did you have issues with removing the background from shots of your clothes, as many people seem to have? Do you have to remove the background to use Stylebook? I already have digital photos on my computer of almost all my clothes, and I would rather not spend the time removing backgrounds if it's not necessary.

Looks best if you remove the background but it isn’t necessary. Since I use screenshots from the retailer most of my background is easily removed. I can see how time consuming it can be if you are taking your own stock pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I stopped using stlyish girl for no reason. I do use Upack it all the time. Its an app on its own. I make a master list and just tweek as I need to.

Thanks for your help! I'm definitely going to investigate Upack it, and Stylish Girl as well.

Looks best if you remove the background but it isn’t necessary. Since I use screenshots from the retailer most of my background is easily removed. I can see how time consuming it can be if you are taking your own stock pictures.

Thanks for the very practical info -- that is exactly what I wanted to know, from someone who has actually used the app. So often the descriptions and reviews online don't mention particulars that I am interested in.

Please feel free to NOT respond to the following if it's just too much trouble - I totally understand you aren't a company rep! :) - but there are a couple of other aspects of the app I'm curious about:

When recording what you've worn using the calendar, is there a limit to the number of items you can include in any given daily outfit? I often have six or more individual items in a daily outfit, including things like multiple bracelets, a scarf, purse, etc. along with the usual pants, top, shoes. And can you enter outfits into the calendar for the future -- such as what you plan to wear for an upcoming event?

Have you used the packing list function on the app? Do you know if you can save packing lists -- in other words, label them for particular trips and store more than one list on the app? Or if not that, perhaps email a list to yourself in order to archive it?

Any info you can provide is very much appreciated!

Thanks for the very practical info -- that is exactly what I wanted to know, from someone who has actually used the app. So often the descriptions and reviews online don't mention particulars that I am interested in.

Please feel free to NOT respond to the following if it's just too much trouble - I totally understand you aren't a company rep! :) - but there are a couple of other aspects of the app I'm curious about:

When recording what you've worn using the calendar, is there a limit to the number of items you can include in any given daily outfit? I often have six or more individual items in a daily outfit, including things like multiple bracelets, a scarf, purse, etc. along with the usual pants, top, shoes. And can you enter outfits into the calendar for the future -- such as what you plan to wear for an upcoming event?

Have you used the packing list function on the app? Do you know if you can save packing lists -- in other words, label them for particular trips and store more than one list on the app? Or if not that, perhaps email a list to yourself in order to archive it?

Any info you can provide is very much appreciated!

I don’t log my daily outfit but I believe you can add as many items to the daily look as you want. You can add outfits for future calendar dates as well. I have used the packing list and I like it. You label each packing list and add items to the list and you can add looks to the list. And you can create multiple looks and packing lists. Example, I have a wedding coming up and I made this outfit combo and I added those items to my packing lists. I just really like how I can visually create an outfit. d91197a74282afb68c0d10da816a23ac.jpg

I don’t log my daily outfit but I believe you can add as many items to the daily look as you want. You can add outfits for future calendar dates as well. I have used the packing list and I like it. You label each packing list and add items to the list and you can add looks to the list. And you can create multiple looks and packing lists. Example, I have a wedding coming up and I made this outfit combo and I added those items to my packing lists. I just really like how I can visually create an outfit. d91197a74282afb68c0d10da816a23ac.jpg

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me this info -- you've convinced me that Stylebook is for me! Are you sure you don't work for the company? :D

Very pretty outfit -- you'll be a hit at the wedding!

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me this info -- you've convinced me that Stylebook is for me! Are you sure you don't work for the company? :D

Very pretty outfit -- you'll be a hit at the wedding!

Oh good! I hope you enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was inspired to look for an Android app for wardrobe planning and found MyCloset. It does much of what was mentioned above. I have had fun photographing and editing my clothes to load into the app - now comes the real fun of laying out outfits for my next cruise [emoji3]

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...
On 4/25/2018 at 4:15 PM, MommaDeeDee said:

Enjoy!

This is what I do, too.  My husband has a silk shirt, and I don't want to take any chances about staining it, so I always pack a small, empty spray bottle, and fill it up with water to spritz everything as it comes out of the suitcase.  We use the bottle to tame our "bed hair", too! 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ladies. Wow it’s been a long time since I checked in. 

We did back to back TA’s this spring. I spent quite a bit of time at my daughters in Florida. After losing 30 lbs I had to buy all new bottoms for a all inclusive in Punta Cana with family. That was fun. Almost waited too late. It was hard to find Capri leggings. Finally found a bunch at Sears, a place I usually don’t go too. I’ve left all those clothes in Florida so I don’t have to do much when drive down in Jan. Then my life gets fun!! 

Ncl Jade 7day Jan 25

Ncl Bliss 7day Feb 2

and NCL Bliss March 30 15 day Canal cruise. 

DH is only going on the last one, he’ll be in Haiti during parts of the other two. 

Sure hope I work hard enough to keep the weight off through all of that. 

I’m doing well, even through Thanksgiving. Giving up soda has helped. 

I keep going back back and forth between cubes. I have them and use them, then I don’t use them. Can’t decide if I just like a combination of both. 

Hope youve all been enjoying the holidays and days and getting some great shopping it!!

• 4 weeks later...

I could use some help. I have a group of people cruising on the Carnival Legend Greenland TA to Southhampton. 2 days later a smaller group of us have decided to forgo airfare and return to NY via QM2. 

This is a completely new experience for me and them. So if any of you have experience with Cunnard and specifically the QM2 I have a few questions. 

I think your dining room is linked to your room location(inside, OV, Balcony or suite etc). That’s fine with me. I’ve read that there’s 3 formal nights on a 8 day? The dress requirement for that is dark suit or tux and long dress or cocktail dresses. Do you get sent out if you’re in a skirt and top?  All other nights a jacket and tie, are light pants acceptable? Or do they need to be black? And women, can we wear dressy pants and tops? Or of course dresses and skirts.

thanks for your help. It’s not till June of 2020 but everyone is of course asking questions. 

Merry Christmas. 

8 hours ago, sunnydaygirl said:

I could use some help. I have a group of people cruising on the Carnival Legend Greenland TA to Southhampton. 2 days later a smaller group of us have decided to forgo airfare and return to NY via QM2. 

This is a completely new experience for me and them. So if any of you have experience with Cunnard and specifically the QM2 I have a few questions. 

I think your dining room is linked to your room location(inside, OV, Balcony or suite etc). That’s fine with me. I’ve read that there’s 3 formal nights on a 8 day? The dress requirement for that is dark suit or tux and long dress or cocktail dresses. Do you get sent out if you’re in a skirt and top?  All other nights a jacket and tie, are light pants acceptable? Or do they need to be black? And women, can we wear dressy pants and tops? Or of course dresses and skirts.

thanks for your help. It’s not till June of 2020 but everyone is of course asking questions. 

Merry Christmas. 

Only Suites have separate dinning from the main Britannia Dinning room and Britannia Club.

Formal is as you described and on the other nights, for men no ties required just jacket and what they call “smart pants, any color....you will be fine in skirt and top, just think 100 years ago and you’ll be fine.

Personally  we hate the Cunard dress code in this the 20th century

but the ship is fantastic.

Edited by orchestrapal

• 3 weeks later...