Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

So, in a nutshell. If you have a bathroom where the mirror will occasionally reflect the sun... go for it! I hope you do.

No sunny bathroom for me :( You must have seen some of the bizarre photos I sent Anita. I was obsessed for a few days in trying to get a good eye photo. Alas, my eyes reflected everything much the same as yours did, but not the true colors in them. I am still determined to get a good photo though!

On another note. I'm on a countdown to our Japan cruise. We leave in 25 days! We fly from here to Seattle and spend one night. The next day is our flight to Tokyo, where we'll be spending four nights before boarding Celebrity Millennium. We are on a B2B, so a total of 24 nights on board. Be still my stomach!

We disembark in Vancouver. We're going to Victoria for 4 nights. The trip will, hopefully, encompass the Cherry Blossoms of Japan and the Spring Bloom at Butchart Gardens. I'm beyond excited to be heading out on a cruise!

Your trip sounds lovely! By any chance, would you need a volunteer to keep you and DH in line???? If so, I hereby volunteer ;)

I've been too busy with other things to try to find a decent location on the internet similar to photo bucket. It's just a challenge at the moment.

Have you tried Google Photos? That's what I use now and am happy with it and it's simple (that's the key for me!!!).

It's so good to hear from you. Keep posting, I miss your comments.

It is lovely to hear from you, Pam! Enjoy your fantastic trip and tell us all about it when you get back whether you have Fire outfits to show or not. Please!?!

When my eyeball picture was taken, my color analyst used a doodad she attached to her iPhone to get the photo. It was a macro or a micro, maybe? Does that make any sense, Kim? Anita?

Have a great time, Pam! That sounds like such a wonderful vacation. I've never been on a vacation of that length before. I hope you post pictures!

It's funny, when I sent Anita the photo of my eye, it was one I took of maybe three, really quick on my way to the garage on a work morning. The sun was out, and I thought maybe if I hold my phone just right...

It wasn't the best picture, but it showed what I felt was my true eye color.

I love the idea of a gadget to use with your phone. I'll bet it completely eliminates glare and reflections!!

Somehow...I missed all this conversation over here! OMG. Your cruise pictures are fabulous!! So interesting to see...I really understand how Debbie is a Light Spring. Debbie, you look so nice in all your outfits (you both do) but when you nailed your Light Spring Colors...those paler colors...that's when I really felt like YOU shined. So interesting to see.

Seeing you both together on the cruise...I so want to go on a fun group cruise! I wonder if we can ever figure that out...

Debbie...there are lens attachments for phones. Some are very cool. They clip on the phone and allow the phone to really zoom in on a subject (Macro Lens) and they also offer Wide Angle Lens, etc. I only know this because I was thinking about getting some for DS for our Alaska trip.

The deal with the sunny bathroom...any mirror will do. Basically, you are holding the phone so that it is in a normal position as opposed to a selfie position. I had the phone resting against my nose to keep it steady while holding the camera lens as close as possible to my eye. Now the deal is, if you hold the camera too close to your eye, it can't focus well. You need a Macro Lens in order to have focus that close. Think how bifocals work with glasses. The camera can't see well if it's too close...you have to hold that menu at the just right distance to read it with your glasses on...so it is with the camera and the distance to the eye. If you can rest the phone on your nose and then pull the phone away (it'll be at an angle and not necessarily straight on) until the phone is focused.

That's where the mirror comes in. Since the phone is in normal mode, with the lens as close as possible to your eye, you are using the mirror to "see" your phone's screen and what the camera is focusing on. Since the phone is basically in front of your eye, you want light to be coming into your eye from the side so that it is lit up for the camera to capture. If the light is coming from the front, the phone is blocking the light, so your eye has to be side lit.

With the camera held THAT close to your eye, your eye doesn't have as much opportunity to reflect the world around it.

That's probably why Debbie's person was able to get a good shot easily. Because there was the Macro Lens...and then she was able to hold it up very close to her eye (reducing what could be reflected) and what I wonder is if she used a flash? Debbie? Or was there daylight?

Kim, I would think that you could do the same thing with a decently sized mirror, either a hand held that you could take outside or into a place where you could get light on your eye from the side...or any mirror hanging in your house that has natural light around it.

Those lenses for the phones are not expensive. If I do get them, I'd be interested in trying that out to see how that works.

• 1 month later...
I hope Pam is having a great time, and posts lots of photos when she gets back.

Kim, I have some Africa questions for you. Would love to have an email conversation. folkdt at aol

I just sent an email, Margaret :)

• 3 months later...

I had to scan through some of our conversation in order to get to the bottom of the page. You know, Ladies! We have wonderful conversations when we have the time to chat with each other!

I came onto here to post because I just had the BEST time getting a handle on my wardrobe choices for the upcoming cruise. It's going to be a familiar one, and by that I mean that we've pretty much been to the ports before. But, it's going to be quite an extensive travel itinerary because the cruise itself is port intensive and we're doing a short pre-cruise and a bit longer post-cruise stay. We are traveling with a couple who are celebrating his retirement. He retires on 29 August and we board a plan on 6 September! So, there you go! I've been the planner for this whole trip, so it's been a bit time consuming (to say the least).

OK. Before Kim even mentions it, I'm actually a bit enthused to take a pictodiary of this vacation. Inspired by a number of thoughts: I'm thinking as I'm sitting here that my wardrobe is going to feel pretty put together (much more so than any of the European trips I've taken so far)... and Anita has absolutely inspired me to make an effort to record my trips in a more journal style. Since I've last posted here, I've been to Japan and Alaska... and I'm getting muddled memories of both of those wonderful trips. I just need to be more diligent and capture moments for reference at a later date.

Although it was on the "other thread," I heard what some commenters said about my reluctance to have my picture taken. To that end, I've also determined a few things. One is.... I absolutely need to pay better attention to my posture! I can't believe I've gotten a bit sloppy with doing the obvious, like not rounding my shoulders and distributing my weight more evenly through my hips and feet. So, there's that.... I think that will help me feel better about having my picture taken. And, I really hate, hate, hate, hate it when someone tries to "capture" me in an unguarded moment. So, to make him STOP (that would be my DH photographer) with those inevitably horrific pictures (have you ever seen the faces of people on the TV when you pause live action?!?).... I mean come on....this means I need to have picture taking moments and then politely request the camera be pointed elsewhere. There you go.

Hmmm. My thoughts took a side turn. Anyway, back to my original intention for posting. Hi, everyone! I think of you ladies often and miss your voices. Talk to me when you get a chance! I'm heading out on 4 September, so you know what that means..... weighing my clothes and getting excited for this trip!

Let's see. First, it's NYC for 2 nights. Then a flight to Barcelona where we'll be for 4 nights. Board the Celebrity Eclipse. Ports are: Valencia, Alicante, Gibraltar, Malaga, Marseilles, Nice, Livorno, Rome, Naples. It's round out of Barcelona so (yes.. we really are) going to fly back to Rome from Barcelona on disembarkation day. We stay in Rome for 3 nights, head to Positano for 3 nights, head to Florence for 2 nights, get to Fiumicino for the night before the flight back. We have a flight from FCO to JFK and we'll spend the night at the airport, then head home with a return on 3 October. So, quite an interesting trip for a lot of wardrobe confusion! But, I'm determined to travel light!

What a fabulous trip Pam! At least you’ll be able to do laundry (if not on the ship then at a port...if you want to). Can’t wait to see your pictodiary. You are really a world traveler this year

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sooo good to see some conversation here, I really miss it!!!!

I have been filling in full time working for the last 6 weeks, we're trying to clean out and downsize some so we had a HUGE rummage that took LOTS of time and effort, we've had really hot weather this summer and our brand new furnace/AC is not working up to snuff and it has been off and on for the last 2 months trying to get it fixed, getting ready for an upcoming trip and can't seem to get the time to do much else.

Pam, as always I envy your trip :) How did you know I hoped for a pictodiary from you, no pattern there ;p

Packing is hard I think. I'm such an OCD packer--I need to pack for all possibilities and do that in a carry-on. I also like my "stuff"--got to have it. I think I pack more "stuff" than I do clothes. Never know when one might need a........

I HAVE to have my photos, I think in the back of my mind I have this thought that "what if I forget this or that spectacular moment from this particular trip". I want to have it captured. Many times I can't just take in the moment on a trip, I feel like I have to photo it and then enjoy what's left of the moment. Just my way I guess :)

We have an upcoming trip--we leave for Ireland in 2 weeks. It's 2nd on my bucket list of places to visit--Africa was 1st and now Ireland. We can't afford to travel as much as many of you do. I always plan "big" trips like I will never get there again. In reality, we probably won't. We have to travel on a shoestring budget but in my family we like to say "we have champagne taste on a beer budget". So, it takes me a long while to research and find just the right itinerary, lodgings, transportation, all the while straying a little off the beaten path, etc.

Our Ireland trip will be a 2 week self drive to Northern Ireland and central parts of Ireland. Flying into Dublin,we'll visit Belfast, Londonderry/Derry, Ardara, Clifden, Galway and back to Dublin for our return flight. We'll do some light hiking, horseback riding, hope to see part of the Cannonball Run, pubbing, cemetery visiting, ruins wandering, raptor viewing, biking, and just gawking at the beauty.

Hopefully, my photos will turn out decently and I'll be able to post a link.

Again, so good to hear some conversation over here. I'm always hopeful for a get-together!

Kim , The absolute best thing I have started to pack is a work out outfit and no I do not work out on vacation but they are so versatile for hanging around , for acting like you are going to work out when you are going for a martini .Best outfit ever .

Joby , I went to Ireland years ago .They one thing you need is a rain jacket . The one place to eat is the pubs .Ireland is a lot of fun . The people are a hoot and the scones are to die for . It is chilly . I went in early September and it snowed .

Pam, I'm so looking forward to a pictodiary from you. Your trip sounds wonderful with lots of interesting ports. Years ago I gave DH a travel journal before one of our cruises, in part to keep him busy on sea days and during my pre-dinner primping, and he has done one per trip ever since. They are very nice mementos in themselves but it turns out they are also very helpful memory-joggers when I make our photo albums (which can happen months or years later). It's easy for all the vacation days to run together after a while, and for details or those unique little moments to get lost.

I am totally with you about candid photos. They rarely come out well, even if the photographer has an eye for movement. I must have taken 50 pictures of my pile of nieces and nephews last weekend while they were playing and I got maybe eight decent, usable photos. I, personally, like a heads-up when my picture is going to be taken so I can at least suck in my tummy, school my face, and smooth my hair. :)

Kim, Ireland! How fun! I second Sally about the raincoat. I also bought an Aran sweater when I was there for those days with wet mist that wasn't quite rain. I did a driving vacation with my family years ago who wanted to visit because my grandfather's ancestors are from a small village on the Shannon River. My parents had wanted to go but had never traveled outside the U.S., so my sister and I planned everything. The scenery is beautiful, and it was fun to just stop wherever and whenever we wanted to.

Be sure to visit a pub with live music!

• 2 weeks later...

We're off to Ireland tomorrow. Thanks for all of the good wishes! I am excited beyond belief. This is 2nd on my "list" of before I die I hope I can travel to......I can't imagine anything topping Africa though!

When we get back I should have more time--I won't be filling in full time working and Ireland planning will be in the books :) Full report and pictodiary to follow--I promise :)

And..... here come the nerves!

Nerves are setting in!

So, today in sipping my morning coffee, I (of course!) decide to check out CC and see what my "peeps" are up to... which includes checking out the Celebrity Cruises section of the board.

So, what is the first thing I run into?!? A picture of someone going on their 14-day cruise with the luggage that has been delivered to their stateroom! OMG. For the two of them, they have 5 suitcases and a suit carrier! OMG. We are going on a 29-day trip and hoping to get the job done with 2 suitcases and 1 duffle. AND, I've promised a pictodiary!! What am I thinking?!? Deep breath.... either I'm the world's best packer OR I'm a lousy fashionista. Well......

And then I stumble upon another post of missed connections and lost luggage. They thought they had everything secure because they cross packed into 3 bags and EVERY ONE was lost! OMG. They "learned" to pack a change of clothes in a carry on. HMMM... Well, am I being told something by the Universe?!? LOL. Maybe that I should be doing something productive other than reading CC?!? Oh, OK.... let me post instead of read!

This is the first time (I think) where I've actually managed to use the cross-packing methodology the way that it's supposed to be used. I've realized, in the past, that the way that I've used it is to essentially pack just about everything that I would need in both suitcases. KWIM? In other words, if I got either suitcase I would be fine for the length of my trip. And, if I got BOTH suitcases then I would have TWICE as many outfits as I need for the length of my trip. This time, I'm just packing so that if I don't get both bags, I'll be hurting just a bit for the number of outfits that I would need, making doing some laundry a sure thing rather than a possibility. So, we will see how this thinking goes....

There's always a sort of critical point during a trip of this length. For us, there are a couple of critical points and they all have to do with trains. We've experienced getting onto Italian trains before and we know that there's limited time to grab bags from the train to a platform when you arrive at your destination station (unless it's the last station on the line). Most of the time, it seems to be a case of only a few minutes (not quite as bad as the Japan bullet train exact timing, but close). There's no way I want to juggle strapping bags together to try to get them onto the platform OR trying to manage those moments of getting multiple bags from the train. SO, the priority becomes being truly diligent about the number AND the weight of those bags.

For me, I'm trying the lightest pack that I've ever attempted to travel. We will see how I do. Here's the fallback situation..... Desigual. Not a bad Plan B!

So many ladies traveling at the same time. Reminds me of a taxi driver's statement that makes me laugh every time I think of it.... "Did you and me go to a different school together at the same time?" Anyway, here's to safe travels for everyone. And, Debbie, where are you?!?

That couple with five suitcases seriously over packed . You packed just right . When we were going on our transatlantic we ran into a couple that packed in tiny carry on' s .They were doing the cruise 16 days and then spending the month in Spain .Now that is a little crazy ! If you are getting low on clothes just send out laundry . I do it all the time .I have always only packed one bag no matter the length of the trip .and I have had plenty .