would normally ask)....this week I was diagnosed with a chronic

form of Leukemia....it is treatable with a pill.......albeit a VERY, VERY

expensive pill:eek::rolleyes:...... I am having a bone marrow biopsy

on Monday so I will have more answers after that but the Doc did tell

me the pills can range from 4 grand a month to 8 grand a month:eek:

Yes, I have insurance from work but what happened to affordable

meds?:confused:....

Oh, the good part of this is the Doc said this form of cancer is the form

to get (if you are going to get it at all)......that it is not terminal.

But it is still a shock and any good thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh, Lois I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I don't know you, but you come across as such a genuinely kind & thoughtful person :)

Yes I'll be putting in a good word for you, but I think that whatever powers that be probably have you on their 'good' list already.

Best thoughts & wishes for strength to deal with your new situation.

Debbie

Hi Lois -- you were one of the first people I remember "meeting" on this site, and you are always so helpful and friendly -- as well as a fellow solo traveler.

I wish you all the best and will keep you in my thoughts as you go through this.

It's amazing that they can treat this with a pill. It may be expensive, but isn't it great that it is available for you, now that you need it.

Hi Lois -- you were one of the first people I remember "meeting" on this site, and you are always so helpful and friendly -- as well as a fellow solo traveler.

I wish you all the best and will keep you in my thoughts as you go through this.

It's amazing that they can treat this with a pill. It may be expensive, but isn't it great that it is available for you, now that you need it.

Hi Cynthia....it is great but not sure what is going to happen if it is really

more than I can afford to pay:eek:....out of pocket will be my deductible

and 20%...Blue Cross pays 80%......

I will just have to wait and see what happens on Monday.

Edited by Lois R

And you want to hear a part of left out......I woke up Tuesday night

with a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE pain on my right side......near the groin

area......it was a kidney stone:eek:......I had to drive myself to the

emergency room........went in with that, came out with cancer......

they did blood work and my white count showed 180,000:eek:.....

the normal white count should be between 7,000 and 11,000..........

I don't wish a kidney stone on anyone......it was the worst pain

I can remember........you can't lay still.

Ah Lois, double whammy. Hopefully it's not as expensive as you've been quoted. I concur,kidney stones are immensely painful. Hope you feel better quickly

So sorry to hear this Lois. Don't get ahead of yourself about the cost until you get the results of the biopsy on Monday. Fortunately, the emergency people were diligent and didn't just treat the kidney stone and send you home. Regardless what a shock for you! As much as you like to travel thank goodness you were at home. Please let us know how you get on next week! Sending thoughts and prayers your way. Take good care of yourself!

Edited by Cancun01

Lois, i am so sorry to hear you are having to go through this. I am glad to hear that it can be treated as a chronic illness though and allow you to live long term. :)

Cancer meds can definitely be very expensive. One of the drugs I was on for 2 years was 9k a month (is the one that turned my hair pure white). The good/bad news is that you'll reach your out of pocket max on it and will know how much you'll have to pay out for the year. I appreciate knowing that it will always be 6k for the year and we have it worked into the budget now.

Once you have the actual name of the drug you can apply for financial assistance with the drug manufacture since you have private insurance. Talk to your doctor, they may already do this on your behalf. If not is fairly easy to do yourself if you know the manufacturer. Often they will knock the cost down to barely anything until you hit a max amount with them for the year. This can be very helpful especially in the first year.

I've been battling cancer for 3.5 years now (unfortunately terminal) so I have a lot of experience with this. If you ever need to vent or rant or have questions about dealing with all of this feel free to hit me up. If you're on Facebook you can find me as sherilyn70 in a people search.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

So sorry to hear this Lois. Don't get ahead of yourself about the cost until you get the results of the biopsy on Monday. Fortunately, the emergency people were diligent and didn't just treat the kidney stone and send you home. Regardless what a shock for you! As much as you like to travel thank goodness you were at home. Please let us know how you get on next week! Sending thoughts and prayers your way. Take good care of yourself!

Thanks so much....yes, the ER folks were really nice.

Lois, i am so sorry to hear you are having to go through this. I am glad to hear that it can be treated as a chronic illness though and allow you to live long term. :)

Cancer meds can definitely be very expensive. One of the drugs I was on for 2 years was 9k a month (is the one that turned my hair pure white). The good/bad news is that you'll reach your out of pocket max on it and will know how much you'll have to pay out for the year. I appreciate knowing that it will always be 6k for the year and we have it worked into the budget now.

Once you have the actual name of the drug you can apply for financial assistance with the drug manufacture since you have private insurance. Talk to your doctor, they may already do this on your behalf. If not is fairly easy to do yourself if you know the manufacturer. Often they will knock the cost down to barely anything until you hit a max amount with them for the year. This can be very helpful especially in the first year.

I've been battling cancer for 3.5 years now (unfortunately terminal) so I have a lot of experience with this. If you ever need to vent or rant or have questions about dealing with all of this feel free to hit me up. If you're on Facebook you can find me as sherilyn70 in a people search.

Thanks for the kind words and helpful things about the meds and I didn't

know you were terminal.......I am sorry:(......

I also have AFLAC (besides my main insurance)....I will do as you

suggest about the manufacturer too...I should know more next week.

Thanks for the kind words and helpful things about the meds and I didn't

know you were terminal.......I am sorry:(......

I also have AFLAC (besides my main insurance)....I will do as you

suggest about the manufacturer too...I should know more next week.

Yes, I've reached that point where we're on one last hail mary chemo in 3 weeks... if that fails then I'm starting a hospice plan. Still trying to get some more cruises in though. :)

Thanks:).....I will keep you posted. Guess sometimes things can go round

and round in the mind:eek:....and you are right, I could have been

away and who knows what could have happened.

Yes, I've reached that point where we're on one last hail mary chemo in 3 weeks... if that fails then I'm starting a hospice plan. Still trying to get some more cruises in though. :)

I have a cruise booked for October and I am going on it with my sister.:)

After that, I have a short weekend cruise with a group of friends in

November......those are the only 2 I have booked and will then see

how things go.

My best thoughts are with you too:)

Lois, I send you my very best wishes. I'm so sorry to learn you have to go through this ordeal. Please keep us informed of your progress when you feel able. We are all rooting for you.

Thanks so much:)