Disembark in Darwin, get back on in Cairns?

JohnandEllie

Hi all, we are doing the Bali to Auckland this December on the Encore. There are three sea days after Darwin and an overnight in Cairns. Is it possible to go touring on our own at Darwin and get back on in Cairns? It's the best time we will be able to see the outback. Also what is the best way to experience the Great Barrier Reef? Does the ship offer snorkeling from the marina? We sailed the Quest in January to Antartica, looking forward to this one.

Check with Seabourn (or your travel agent), I would think it is possible with prior approval.

The reef is a protected environment and I doubt the ship will get close enough to it to offer activities from the marina. I recommend you plan an excursion to the outer reef from Cairns. There are pontoons right above the reef where you can snorkel.

I should add that at that time of year there are jelly fish in the tropical waters so you will be given a very unflattering suit to wear in the water!!!!

I should add that at that time of year there are jelly fish in the tropical waters so you will be given a very unflattering suit to wear in the water!!!!

... and these are not the normal jelly fish which stings a bit. At that time of year there are Irukandji jellyfish in those waters, an extremely venomous species of box jellyfish.

I think what you are proposing is a very good idea. Here are some links for you to look at that may help you.

http://www.kakadu.travel/

http://www.outbackfloatplanes.com.au

also to find flight from Darwin to Cairns

https://webjet.com.au

We stayed in Kakadu National park and also did a Mary river house boat tour and both experiences were fantastic. I know that this company can arrange all the tours for you if you want a travel agent to arrange everything. flightcentre.com.au Or you could contact a travel agent in Darwin.

Check with Seabourn (or your travel agent), I would think it is possible with prior approval.

The reef is a protected environment and I doubt the ship will get close enough to it to offer activities from the marina. I recommend you plan an excursion to the outer reef from Cairns. There are pontoons right above the reef where you can snorkel.

It is possible to have a reef experience without getting wet, as there are submersibles.

https://quicksilver-************/obr_activities/semisub/index.html

When I see questions like this I am am reminded of the story of the Japanese family who were hiring a 4WD in Cairns for a 3 day weekend.

When the booking guy casually asked "So, where are you off to ? " they replied " Kakadu, Ayers Rock and back here to go out to the reef" :)

(The above would be a 2 to 3 week road trip, and that would be rushing it!)

Australia is the size of the continental U.S. and people underestimate the vast distances involved, over often poor 2 way roads.

Also December is the wet season, roads can be closed for days at a time after a downpour.

JohnandEllie, please do your research throughly, to avoid disappointment.

When I see questions like this I am am reminded of the story of the Japanese family who were hiring a 4WD in Cairns for a 3 day weekend.

When the booking guy casually asked "So, where are you off to ? " they replied " Kakadu, Ayers Rock and back here to go out to the reef" :)

(The above would be a 2 to 3 week road trip, and that would be rushing it!)

Australia is the size of the continental U.S. and people underestimate the vast distances involved, over often poor 2 way roads.

Also December is the wet season, roads can be closed for days at a time after a downpour.

JohnandEllie, please do your research throughly, to avoid disappointment.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. No worries about my outback plans and under no illusions of the distances involved. Darwin to Alice Springs is a two hour flight and same from there to Cairns. A day in Darwin to Kakadu, two days outback, a day back to the ship in Cairns. It's a bit rushed for me but better than sitting around the boat for three days.

Are you planning to fly or drive?

If driving, SKP946 gives very sound advice. I think you may be underestimating the distances involved - it’s approx 3000km from Darwin to Cairns. Consider the time it may realistically take to cover it safely on possibly bad roads/tracks (especially at that time of year), lack of infrastructure generally in the top end of Australia and the practicalities of finding fuel, accommodation, medical assistance, people generally, etc. And you would have a pretty tight deadline too.

Do some very thorough research. And have a cocktail by the ship’s pool instead LOL. If you want to see the “real” Australia, then doing it on a cruise isn’t the most practical way to do it I’m afraid.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. No worries about my outback plans and under no illusions of the distances involved. Darwin to Alice Springs is a two hour flight and same from there to Cairns. A day in Darwin to Kakadu, two days outback, a day back to the ship in Cairns. It's a bit rushed for me but better than sitting around the boat for three days.

I think that Kakadu is easily doable in the 3 days, (but weather dependent)

I would forget flying to Alice Springs or Ayers Rock as well.

There is enough to see around Kakadu without heading south into the desert.

There is also Litchfield, Mary River and Fogg Dam that are worthwhile seeing.

https://northernterritory.com/darwin-and-surrounds/see-and-do/nature-and-wildlife/national-parks

Have you considered flying into Australia earlier, (not sure where you're flying from ?) perhaps flying to Darwin via Alice Springs and Ayers Rock, then flying Darwin to Bali to meet the ship ?

Saves rushing.

Don't forget that two hour flight turns into a minimum 4 hour journey, by the time you add 1 hour at the airport, 2 hours on the plane, and another hour disembarking, collecting your luggage and getting to your destination.

I recommend you leave out the Alice Springs/Uluru/outback experience if the only time you have is while the ship makes its way from Darwin to Cairns. Spend a few days around Darwin (Kakadu and Litchfield National Parks, military war museum etc ), then fly to Cairns and spend a few days there (a day on the reef, take the Skyrail to Kuranda, drive to Port Douglas and visit the Daintree rainforest etc). You won't be disappointed. There is plenty to see in both locations.

(a day on the reef, take the Skyrail to Kuranda, drive to Port Douglas and visit the Daintree rainforest etc). You won't be disappointed. There is plenty to see in both locations.

Yes, I agree ... but in our winter not in our summer. It is very humid and unpleasant in our summer. We have spent many beautiful winters in Port Douglas / Daintree but I would not even think of visiting that region in our wet season/summer.

Yes, I agree ... but in our winter not in our summer. It is very humid and unpleasant in our summer. We have spent many beautiful winters in Port Douglas / Daintree but I would not even think of visiting that region in our wet season/summer.

Yes, it will be very hot and humid.