Which or any cruise lines good for Vegans?

Macfreckles

Being newly vegan I find it a challenge food wise especially on the cruises. I know they claim to have vegan options, but of course they can't specifically tell me what they got. Me and 2 other friends who are vegan as well had booked a cruise before we turned vegan, now have to cancel because we're not totally sure of our food choices and don't want to starve while on the boat.

In 2018 the vegan holistic cruise goes to Miami/Carribean.

In Europe there are vegan riviercruises to the Netherlands, France etc. Newyear to Portugal!

And a new sea cruise in September to Norway! :-)

2018 riviercruise ***** the Danube eastern Europe.

There is also a vegan couple that groups vegans together on cruises.

They are all on Facebook.

More and more cruises have vegan menu items that look really good, delicious and healthy! This gets bigger and better every year!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Edited by Veggy

Hey Macfreckles,

I don't know if you've had a look at my blog but I wouldn't really worry about the vegan catering issue. Very few ships have existing vegan menus onboard so it would be rare for them (customer service) to be giving much information on what you will be served onboard.

I have cruised many years being lactose intolerant and recently as vegan and ships have always catered. Sure, they're not likely to do seitan or vegan cheeseburgers but they will have essentials like veg, pasta, rice... and can put together various courses for you.

I haven't cruised on Carnival as a vegan but found an instagrammer Texichan who posted some fab looking dining options from a fancy dinner onboard.

HAL have a veggie/vegan menu, as do Oceania and Costa but I haven't sailed with them. Princess don't do a vegan menu but they were fabulous at catering for us last year :) Just liaise with the main dining room (you normally book following night's meal with the maitre 'd/manager at the end of the dinner) and see what can be adapted from the menu - if they can't adapt or mix & match existing courses, they'll make something else you would like.

And do take your optional extras onboard (my 5 tips to vegan cruising post) - like vegan spread etc for your minibar to be used at breakfast....

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Sanna

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
In 2018 the vegan holistic cruise goes to Miami/Carribean.

In Europe there are vegan riviercruises to the Netherlands, France etc. Newyear to Portugal!

And a new sea cruise in September to Norway! :-)

2018 riviercruise ***** the Danube eastern Europe.

There is also a vegan couple that groups vegans together on cruises.

They are all on Facebook.

More and more cruises have vegan menu items that look really good, delicious and healthy! This gets bigger and better every year!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

That vegan holistic cruise is a Dream for me. I would love to do it but paying for 5 people and I am the only vegan it won’t happen. Going on RCL in February and a little worried about it because I have heard it is one of the worst cruise lines for vegan options. I am also Gluten free. So many bad vegan reviews on this cruise line.

• 1 month later...

I am semi-vegan vegetarian (eggs for breakfast only) and I can say that if you sail on any of the bigger ships, vegans will be fine... in the buffet. It gets trickier if your only dinner options are in the main dining room and you have to order off of the menu. From my experiences, they always have a vegetarian option for each course, but they invariably contain butter/cheese/cream. If you're lucky, the kitchen may be willing to whip up a pasta primavera-type of dish.

Whenever I cruise, I ALWAYS pack protein powder, protein bars, nuts, etc. to compensate for the dearth of plant-based protein options on board. But I have been pleasantly surprised. One time on a Holland America cruise, the breakfast buffet included a station that served congee that could be dressed up with dried laver, scallions and tofu - a wonderful umami bomb of flavor. It's sad how cruise lines basically exploit cheap Asian labor to run their ships, but the upside is that they can add little flourishes of authentic Asian flavors to an otherwise ho-hum array of western food choices.

I am semi-vegan vegetarian (eggs for breakfast only) and I can say that if you sail on any of the bigger ships, vegans will be fine... in the buffet. It gets trickier if your only dinner options are in the main dining room and you have to order off of the menu. From my experiences, they always have a vegetarian option for each course, but they invariably contain butter/cheese/cream. If you're lucky, the kitchen may be willing to whip up a pasta primavera-type of dish.

I have sailed vegan on Royal Caribbean, Princess, MSC and Thomson/Marella and I have to say that getting vegan options is not a problem. Buffets are good for combining items to form a dish but main dining room dining is NOT a problem either. Sure, you need to discuss and generally order your special meal the night before. Waiter will discuss with the kitchen to see if the veggie option is veganisable (by leaving out cheese, cream, egg, honey etc) or if they can easily put together another dish altogether. Actually getting a plain pasta primavera was the most difficult meal as Royal refused to serve me the pasta because packaging stated 'may contain eggs'.

MSC now has a vegan dish on their MDR menus as veggie option so no amending is required. HAL have an extensive veggie/vegan menu with many options. Some Carnival and Royal ships have vegan menus too - the few that have proactive vegan-aware waiting staff. P&O can do excellent vegan options, even tempeh and seitan. Costa Cruises have had a full vegan menu onboard since 2015 and it is great - and Oceania's vegan menu is the BEST there is, came out in the spring of 2017. Just that they're not cheap to sail with.

In any case, cruising vegan is doable. Some companies are better than others. I always take some items with me to keep in my minibar.

And as mentioned above there's the vegan cruise company in Germany that arranges European vegan cruises (fully vegan charters) and they're doing a Chilean expedition sailing in late 2018. Australian cruise in 2019.