Kennedy Space Center Excursion advice needed

FirstAnthem

We are taking our first cruise in February 2018, with a stop in Port Canaveral. We scheduled an excursion to the Kennedy Space Center through Royal Caribbean. Has anyone done this excursion through the ship? I am considering just doing Kennedy on our own via cab/uber and purchasing our tickets on our own to save some money and be able to explore the space center on our own vs. a guided tour through the ship. Has anyone done this excursion, and how did you do it, through the ship or on your own? Advice?

Thanks! Yes I saw those answers, but someone suggested posting my question on a different forum since I originally posted my question on an unrelated forum. I'm new to cruising and to this website, so I'm still trying to figure it out! Thanks for your help! :)

Thanks! Yes I saw those answers, but someone suggested posting my question on a different forum since I originally posted my question on an unrelated forum. I'm new to cruising and to this website, so I'm still trying to figure it out! Thanks for your help! :)

The Florida Departures forum would probably be helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

We are taking our first cruise in February 2018, with a stop in Port Canaveral. We scheduled an excursion to the Kennedy Space Center through Royal Caribbean. Has anyone done this excursion through the ship? I am considering just doing Kennedy on our own via cab/uber and purchasing our tickets on our own to save some money and be able to explore the space center on our own vs. a guided tour through the ship. Has anyone done this excursion, and how did you do it, through the ship or on your own? Advice?

If you're new to cruising I would suggest booking the excursion with Royal Caribbean. Very often the groups get in faster.

It's much easier just showing up and letting someone else do the driving.

It's worth the few extra dollars to not have to worry about the hassle. Plus if there are any issues with getting back to port late if you're on a ship sponsored tour the ship will wait for you. If you are late returning on your own, the ship will not wait for you.

Jonathan

I'm not sure what the Royal excursion offers, but if you are really interested in the early years, the Cape Canaveral Early Space Tour is fascinating. Off the beaten track and takes you to to the early launch and launch control sites. Highly recommended!

We tour almost exclusively independently now but would not have dared on first cruise. Too much "new" stuff hitting us. Not sure exactly how far port and KSC are but Uber/Lyft would be viable. Only hesitation I might have for KSC would be if the ship tours are scheduled into the regular tour schedule or are a separate schedule of their own. If the ship tours fill up the regular ones then tickets for a tour may involve a long wait and cut time short.

Check out TripAdvisor.com too for reviews there. Might fill in some gaps. The forums there are good too and often a local expert will have exact answers.

We did KSC on our own a couple years ago. We rented a car from Hertz. They had a shuttle that picked us up at the ship. We planned to taxi back to the ship as it was after Hertz closed, but the shuttle ran later. Drive was easy and we enjoyed our day. It was cheaper for 4 of us vs ship. If it was close in price going through the ship tour I would have done that for convenience

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

We were on Anthem last March. We rented a car for the 5 of us (shuttle was right at the port) and bought tickets in advance with AAA discount. You dont need a guided tour.

First thing to do when you get there is to take the included KSC tour bus. When you come back, visit the rest of the buildings. One day was not enough to see everything. Reserach on line first. And dont forget to try the Space Dots Ice cream :)

Only problem with the rented car is that the office closes at 4h30 so you have to pay 10$ per person to go back to the terminal. So we dropped the kids at the port and we paid 20$ instead of 50$ to get back to the ship. (allow a good 30 minutes to drop the car and call the shuttle back)

For 5 persons, renting a car was worth it, but do your own research. Uber might be cheaper

Enjoy your cruise

It's much easier just showing up and letting someone else do the driving.
I disagree. I think it's easier to go on your own schedule. Call a cab/uber when it suits you -- no waiting for the rest of the group, if you woke up early -- and tour on your own schedule, just watching your time so you don't miss boarding. This opens you to buying the ticket that suits you: Do you want to see the exhibits, or do you want to spend your time doing the lunch-with-an-astronaut option, or do you want to see one of the movies about space exploration?

I HIGHLY recommend renting a car and going on your own...

1) You can walk easily to the car rental places, and they also have shuttles.

2) Same for drop off

3) the drive is easy--no traffic, main roads, etc. This means there is almost zero risk you will run late and miss the ship.

4) You'll be there long before the ship excursions--so you can make more of the day

5) Same for return--you can do your own thing.

Cars are pretty cheap as well. When you add the price of admission + car rental it's going to be less than the ship excursion price.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

UBER will cost around $35 (plus $5 port fee for unpermitted commercial pick up) each way, taxi probably in the $60 range but I'm guessing on the taxi. I ran the UBER thru the app just now, price could change.

a rental can be found for under $50 typically but you need to shop around as rates change hourly, and what discounts can you get etc

rentals in the port area: Enterprise, National, Alamo, Hertz, Payless, Budget, Thrifty, Dollar, Avis. You want the Cape Canaveral or Cocoa Beach location .... NOT COCOA or Melbourne

admission is $50 for adults and includes the 'basic' bus tour. There are several optional add ons at extra cost. Check the web site

most days (except mid summer when days are much longer) KSC closes at 6pm (only on special occasions open after sundown)

I've never taken a cruise ship excursion to KSC but it is my understanding that the potential 'advantage' is: they have a 'special' run on the bus rather than you queuing up with everyone else. Depending on when you are going this can be time saver but perhaps not worth paying WAY more than basic admission ..... The regular bus tours run pretty much continuously but in peak season there CAN be a significant wait. My understanding is after the 'priority' bus tour you are on your own for the rest of the time allotted.

Edited by Capt_BJ