Is it true that folk on the Bella package are sometimes barred from the MDR?

Jetlagged787

This will be our first time with MSC so I've been trawling through the threads for info when I came across this,

"I had read sometimes guests on the cheaper packages can get allocated to the buffet instead of MDR in the evening but now I have done some more thorough research I see that this is only if you choose the Bella package."

That was posted back in 2016. Can anyone with more recent experience on Divina comment on whether this is accurate or not please?

I had read that too, but I don't know how often it might actually occur. You are still served by staff and from the dining room menu, though. It's not like you're forced to only eat what's served at the buffet.

While unrelated to MSC, I have a feeling that one of the lines at some point will make the buffet the default dining venue with sit down restaurants all costing money out limiting the number of nights you can dinner there like dinner all-inclusive resorts do. I hope I'm wrong, but with changed in the cruise industry and try to keep the base price relatively low, I think it could happen. After all, airlines used to include luggage in your fare.

I had read that too, but I don't know how often it might actually occur. You are still served by staff and from the dining room menu, though. It's not like you're forced to only eat what's served at the buffet.

While unrelated to MSC, I have a feeling that one of the lines at some point will make the buffet the default dining venue with sit down restaurants all costing money out limiting the number of nights you can dinner there like dinner all-inclusive resorts do. I hope I'm wrong, but with changed in the cruise industry and try to keep the base price relatively low, I think it could happen. After all, airlines used to include luggage in your fare.

That probably would be NCL as they lead the way to "enhance the customer experience".

That probably would be NCL as they lead the way to "enhance the customer experience".

Good observation. Unfortunately, the cruise lines are like lemmings. Once NCL introduced a charge for room service, Carnival and Royal were soon to follow.

I was on the Meraviglia this September and they had part of the buffet set-up as the dinning room. The tables were set up the same as downstairs with waiters and such. I thought it looked quiet nice, so much so that in the future I won't have any qualms booking a Bella cabin 😀

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Experience cruisers, first time MSC.

We have two cabins booked on the Meraviglia in April. One balcony with Fantasica and an inside with Bella. The only factor with the Fantasica was the location, the perks weren’t a factor. We wanted a balcony and an inside, and couldn’t get two close together both Bella or both Fantasica.

The reservations are linked, same booking. We’ve requested the same dining time for both. Will they seat us together or will the Bella/Fantastica thing get us separated?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With almost 10 cruises with MSC, I just can't imagine (with your bookings linked) that you're gonna be separated. You'll be together. But in the case of not, on the first day, in the afternoon, go and talk with the restaurant manager.

Based on my experience, they are always Italian, so, even if you want to, even if you know that they are wrong, try to be nice with them, it ALWAYS helps, more than to be angry with them. I know sometimes it's hard, but it works. It looks like they need to know that they are "commander in chief" :-)

You'll have better results.

Anyway I highly doubt that you're gonne be separated, once again.

Gregori

Experience cruisers, first time MSC.

We have two cabins booked on the Meraviglia in April. One balcony with Fantasica and an inside with Bella. The only factor with the Fantasica was the location, the perks weren’t a factor. We wanted a balcony and an inside, and couldn’t get two close together both Bella or both Fantasica.

The reservations are linked, same booking. We’ve requested the same dining time for both. Will they seat us together or will the Bella/Fantastica thing get us separated?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, it is true that if you book Bella experience there is a chance you will be booted out of the dining room and will be forced to eat in the buffet area. However; there is a separate section in the back of the buffet with linens and table service and you will eat off the main dining menu. The only difference is where you sit during dinner.

Being sat in the buffet area has happened to forum members. Do a search for Ann mundo posts who can confirm as it happened to her. I’ve personally witnessed the linens set up in the rear of the buffet on the divina sailing over Easter. I suspect it only happens on particularly dense sailings and I personally would not let this be my deciding factor as it does seem rare in occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just cruised this August on MSC meraviglia. Bella balcony package and never once did we get rejected from the MDR dinning room. Travelling with a party of 8! and we had the second sitting which seamed like "peak time"

I travelled twice on a Bella balcony and didn’t see that happening.

I indeed remember Ammo Mondo mentioning something like that but if my memory is right it was due to repair works on the MDR.

By the way, Ammo Mondo, where are you?! Her conments were always helpful but she’s been MIA lately. Come back!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got off Divina on Saturday. Had the Bella package (it was a free cruise) and we had access to the dining room.

We were booked for early seating but upon boarding we were changed to late. Seemed like it happened to a lot of people we met.

We only ate in the dining room twice. Two and a half hours was simply too long. Did enjoy the Galaxy, Sports Bar and buffet the other nights.

This was my biggest worry about being a Bella, but happy to report that we got a table at 8:30 in the MDR just as requested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to know thanks. We're late sitting too but they haven't stated the time. I guess we get to know that once on board..