Britannia Evening Dress Code

mojo007

Hi, travelling on the Britannia next month to the Carribean, how strict is the evening dress code?

I'm not one for wearing trousers etc on holidays but have read that shorts are prohibited after 6pm in public areas. I'm also not one for the formal evening and will not be taking a suit, tux etc so was wondering on the formal evenings does the buffet/other restaurants allow the smart casual look?

I don't mind wearing linen trousers or smart denim and will be packing them but was hoping that on some evenings that I could wear tailored shorts.

Thanks in advance for your replies

On formal nights evening casual dress is OK in the buffet, American diner (cover charge) and probably the Glass House although the Glass house is described as formal on the P&O site in my experience is it is actually evening casual on formal nights.

No shorts in public rooms after 6pm though and I have seen this enforced.

Lets not have this topic degenerate into another argument about dress codes

Just come off Britannia, on smart casual my husband wore dark blue jeans with a shirt and shoes. If you don't want to observe the formal code but equally don't want to be banished to the buffet or room service, can I recommend the Limelight Club? You can wear smart casual there even on formal nights, you get a nice meal in a great atmosphere and the entertainment is in the same venue, it's £22 per head.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you want to make full use of the restaurants, bars, theatres and other venues on non formal nights then you should wear trousers or smart dark jeans. I think this would exclude faded or ripped jeans. What you could get away with in reality is another matter. I do think shorts would be considered too casual for many venues.

On formal nights if you are not in some form of dark suit you will have very limited in options on the ship. Smart casual will be fine in the buffet though. You might feel you are missing out on some of things you have paid for.

To some degree the ship, time of year, destination and weather are also a factor. A family friendly ship, in the school holidays, going to beach resorts with hot weather is probably a bit more casual but still within the stated dress code.

Personally, on non formal nights I go for trousers, shirt, tie and blazer but that is my choice. I would not expect others to dress the same way.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On formal nights evening casual dress is OK in the buffet, American diner (cover charge) and probably the Glass House although the Glass house is described as formal on the P&O site in my experience is it is actually evening casual on formal nights.

No shorts in public rooms after 6pm though and I have seen this enforced.

Lets not have this topic degenerate into another argument about dress codes

As we are going on Britannia next week, could you tell me where the American Diner is ? Is it a new dining outlet on the ship ? can't remember it on our last cruise.

Thank you

Ooops yes the Beach House. It is a section of the buffet that turns into a waiter service American diner themed restaurant in the evening. There is a reasonable cover charge and some items on the menu attract supplements. I always have a meal or two there on formal nights. No reservations needed

Speaking of dress codes does anybody plan for the theme nights onboard. Is it even worth dressing up or does nobody bother?

We dress up for the Tropical night when we're in the Caribbean as most people do. My OH wear the usual garish ships and i wear a bright floral top with while trousers and the lie I got a few years ago. On other nights you hardly see anybody dressed up except the Ents staff. It's usually the theme in the club or for the deck party (like 60s / 70s) but nothing else special going on that I've seen. As others have said, on the other hand the B&W night is very strongly adhered to.

We dress up for the Tropical night when we're in the Caribbean as most people do. My OH wear the usual garish ships and i wear a bright floral top with while trousers and the lie I got a few years ago. On other nights you hardly see anybody dressed up except the Ents staff. It's usually the theme in the club or for the deck party (like 60s / 70s) but nothing else special going on that I've seen. As others have said, on the other hand the B&W night is very strongly adhered to.

I have my own tropical nights. :)

At least 2/3 per cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, travelling on the Britannia next month to the Carribean, how strict is the evening dress code?

I'm not one for wearing trousers etc on holidays but have read that shorts are prohibited after 6pm in public areas. I'm also not one for the formal evening and will not be taking a suit, tux etc so was wondering on the formal evenings does the buffet/other restaurants allow the smart casual look?

I don't mind wearing linen trousers or smart denim and will be packing them but was hoping that on some evenings that I could wear tailored shorts.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Following you asking much the same question in 2014 can I ask what was your experience from your Thomson cruise? Do you actually think P&O will be less Formal?

We had a superb time on the Celebration, I did wear trousers, shirt and a tie for the Captain's night but did change into less formal clothes after the food for the rest of the evening as I feel more comfortable wearing shorts. I didn't mind dressing in smart casual for the A La Carte but on most occasions I did change back into shorts for the evening entertainment.

Do I think P&O will be less formal, from the replies I've read probably not but I will be packing my shorts on the off chance that the evening dress code is not as strict as the replies suggest.

Thanks all for your replies

Hi

Sorry to ask (this has probably been covered before) - first time on P & O. We will be taking our 6 year old grandson and wondered if he can wear shorts to dinner on evening casual nights? He will wear long trousers on formal nights. We will be dining around 6 pm as he is in bed by 7.30, exhausted :D.

Thanks.

Lou

Hi

Sorry to ask (this has probably been covered before) - first time on P & O. We will be taking our 6 year old grandson and wondered if he can wear shorts to dinner on evening casual nights? He will wear long trousers on formal nights. We will be dining around 6 pm as he is in bed by 7.30, exhausted :D.

Thanks.

Lou

Wholly appropriate I think - let children look like children as they are not young for long!

Thanks for the replies. We will make sure he looks nicely dressed in appropriate shorts and collared shirts and hopefully won't offend anyone.

Lou

Our son is 7, has been on 5 cruises and wears t-shirts and shorts almost all the time. We've never had any problems taking him in the MDR nor have we had any negative comments from other passengers. We've recently got him in the habit of wearing long trousers and a collared shirt for formal evenings but there's no way he'd wear a tie and jacket (not yet anyway).

The restaurant managers and waiters have always been fantastic with him, this year one of our table waiters on Britannia amazingly remembered our son from our Azura cruise last year so he was extra spoiled.

I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Have a great cruise.

Damian

I think think that is totally appropriate for a child of his age. Who on earth could have any issues with that. I am sure he will stand out head and shoulders above some of the “grown up’s”..... p.s lucky chap to have been on five cruises by the age of seven

I really cannot imagine even the most curmudgeonly traditionalist on here objecting to a 6 year old wearing shorts, especially on casual nights.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

You lack imagination then?😀. There is always someone who will mumble and comment about almost anything.

When it come to younger children i think most people would be more concerned about how they behave rather than what they are wearing.

We had a youngster at the table next to us on Brittania recently who was beautifully dressed in the cutest dress and pumps but the little horror threw food about, got under the feet of the waiters, screached like a banshee at the top of her voice, left a mess second to none on the floor and generally made a right Royal nuisance of herself. The adults at the table just left her to it and sat and drank copious amounts of wine! Thank the Lord we were on freedom dining so never had to eat near them again.

For youngsters shorts are fine in my opinion.

Our son is 7, has been on 5 cruises and wears t-shirts and shorts almost all the time. We've never had any problems taking him in the MDR nor have we had any negative comments from other passengers. We've recently got him in the habit of wearing long trousers and a collared shirt for formal evenings but there's no way he'd wear a tie and jacket (not yet anyway).

The restaurant managers and waiters have always been fantastic with him, this year one of our table waiters on Britannia amazingly remembered our son from our Azura cruise last year so he was extra spoiled.

I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Have a great cruise.

Damian

Thanks for the reassurance! Your son is certainly a lucky boy, this will be our grandson's second cruise but first with formal nights. It is astonishing how the staff remember past passengers - I would be hopeless ;).

Lou

Does the tropical night fall on formal or casual?