Romantic Danube

Prunion

We will be on the Romantic Danube March 25, 2017 - April 1, 2017 (we are also doing the pre cruise in Budapest and the post cruise in Prague) I have a couple questions.

1) What is the weather like March - April, have you been know to change ships during this time due to the water levels

2) I have read about sulfate smell on the ships, is there a way to avoid this any help dealing with this will be helpful.

3) If you take the included Shore Excursions, do you have time on your own to do some shopping.

This is our 1st River Cruise any helpfully do or don't would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help.

:D

I presume you mean 2018 ,,,,,

When you finally get your cruise documents most of your questions will be answered as it includes a BOOK specific to your itinerary. I'm copying some info from mine. We sailed in late May, Budapest to Nuremberg, with a Viking pre stay in Budapest and stayed beyond on our own beginning in Nur', then moving to Hamburg.

1. we had no water level issues but this can't be predicted this far out. ya just gotta watch how the spring rains happen. Using Vienna as a mid point reference, April temps average high of 57 and low of 41 (f) ... according to the documents we were provided. For us, in late may it was a bit warmer but the info was generally accurate.

2. sulfate smell? never heard this or experienced it. maybe a reference to engine exhaust? because the ship does not have a 'stack' as such a following wind might cause exhaust to be blown back over the decks but I did not experience ANYTHING like this. (and I'm a sailor so would have known what it was)

3. As I recall there was 'explore on your own time' built into every 'included tour'. usually at the end of a walking tour, if the boat wasn't 'right there' the guide would finish by saying the bus will be over there at time XXX if you want a ride back OR you can get back on your own. The boat sails at YYYY. But NOTE that SOMETIMES the boat MOVES while you are on a tour - included or extra - so if you set off on your own the responsibility is YOURS to get back to your floating hotel. Like I said this is all explained in the detailed itinerary you'll get - ours was nearly 40 pages . . .

When you finally get your cruise documents most of your questions will be answered as it includes a BOOK specific to your itinerary. I'm copying some info from mine. We sailed in late May, Budapest to Nuremberg, with a Viking pre stay in Budapest and stayed beyond on our own beginning in Nur', then moving to Hamburg.

1. we had no water level issues but this can't be predicted this far out. ya just gotta watch how the spring rains happen. Using Vienna as a mid point reference, April temps average high of 57 and low of 41 (f) ... according to the documents we were provided.

2. sulfate smell? never heard this or experienced it. maybe a reference to engine exhaust? because the ship does not have a 'stack' as such a following wind might cause exhaust to be blown back over the decks but I did not experience ANYTHING like this. (and I'm a sailor so would have known what it was)

3. As I recall there was 'explore on your own time' built into every 'included tour'. usually at the end of a walking tour, if the boat wasn't 'right there' the guide would finish by saying the bus will be over there at time XXX if you want a ride back OR you can get back on your own. The boat sails at YYYY. But NOTE that SOMETIMES the boat MOVES while you are on a tour - included or extra - so if you set off on your own the responsibility is YOURS to get back to your floating hotel. Like I said this is all explained in the detailed itinerary you'll get - ours was nearly 40 pages . . .

Thanks for the information Capt_BJ,

Yes I mean 2018 (still in present)

You state the boat moves while you are on tour, if it moves, how do you know where it moved too.

Thanks again for the information

You state the boat moves while you are on tour, if it moves, how do you know where it moved too.

Quite often your ship proceeds to another port while you are out on a tour. They do this to a variety of reasons, mostly to save time. For example they may have to queue up at a lock. Typically they have a specific time they need to arrive at a lock by or they move to the end of the line. Your tour will return you to your new ship location. It's not something you need to concern yourself with unless you have arranged a private tour or are out and about on your own.

This is all gone over nightly at the briefing before dinner. They will explain in detail what will be happening the next day and if the ship will be re-positioned during a tour.

River cruising is nothing like ocean cruising. Unless it overnights in port, the ship is almost always moving.

Quite often your ship proceeds to another port while you are out on a tour. They do this to a variety of reasons, mostly to save time. For example they may have to queue up at a lock. Typically they have a specific time they need to arrive at a lock by or they move to the end of the line. Your tour will return you to your new ship location. It's not something you need to concern yourself with unless you have arranged a private tour or are out and about on your own.

This is all gone over nightly at the briefing before dinner. They will explain in detail what will be happening the next day and if the ship will be re-positioned during a tour.

River cruising is nothing like ocean cruising. Unless it overnights in port, the ship is almost always moving.

Thanks for the information,

We are planning doing the included excursion, but wanted to go out on our own afterwards for some shopping, but not sure if we should, if they move the boat on us and we have to find our way to the new location.

Thanks for the information,

We are planning doing the included excursion, but wanted to go out on our own afterwards for some shopping, but not sure if we should, if they move the boat on us and we have to find our way to the new location.

You don’t have to worry. All the included tours include built in shopping time. If the boat does move they will give you advance warning.

The smell is more of a sewage smell that occassionally occurs when the ship is docked. We just experienced the smell on a Tauck ship. It’s not an issue.

Which cruiseline are you considering?

Thanks for the information:)

About the smell, have the Viking engineer check the ventilation system for your room. I experienced exhaust fumes in the lock above of Passau - choking and I had to open the window in December. Also, smoke from the 'barbeque' grills was sucked into the room. Poor ventilation engineering on Viking's part. I complained and had no more problems. Don't know if they solved the problem or if the ambient conditions weren't repeated.

We arrived in Budapest on 20 April 2017. It was snowing.

Re the sulphur smell it is probably exhaust gas from a diesel engine. You shouldn't smell this in your cabin but may smell it on deck. If you smell it in your cabin complain and make sure it is fixed.

Viking excursions we have been on allow time for shopping etc. But if people are late get ing back on the bus this time may be reduced.

We will be on the Romantic Danube March 25, 2017 - April 1, 2017 (we are also doing the pre cruise in Budapest and the post cruise in Prague) I have a couple questions.

1) What is the weather like March - April, have you been know to change ships during this time due to the water levels

2) I have read about sulfate smell on the ships, is there a way to avoid this any help dealing with this will be helpful.

3) If you take the included Shore Excursions, do you have time on your own to do some shopping.

This is our 1st River Cruise any helpfully do or don't would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help.

We arrived in Budapest on 20 April 2017. It was snowing.

Re the sulphur smell it is probably exhaust gas from a diesel engine. You shouldn't smell this in your cabin but may smell it on deck. If you smell it in your cabin complain and make sure it is fixed.

Viking excursions we have been on allow time for shopping etc. But if people are late get ing back on the bus this time may be reduced.

Thanks so much for the information. When did you do the cruise and is it usual for snow in April in Budapest.

Where you given time for shopping during the excursion or after the excursions.

Since this is our 1st River Cruise any additional information you can offer would be helpful, I'm a planner and try to know all the in's and out's before we travel, so we don't miss anything

Thanks again, so looking forward to our trip.:D

We were on Viking Jarl departing Budapest on 23 April 2017.

I don’t know if snow in April is usual or not. It only snowed the first day we were there. The other days were cold, wet and windy. If you are going to be there in March you will need warm clothes. Layers work best and the outer layer should be wind and water proof. Don’t forget hats and gloves. It’s a fascinating city and you wouldn’t want to be stuck inside due to not having appropriate clothing.

Some tours the shopping was central to the activity eg the winery / monastery visit. In other tours there was time at the end.

There’s just no way you will see everything there is to see. However if you go on the daily tour you will see a lot of interesting things. Consider making your own way back to the ship if you have time. This will give you the chance to drop in at a cafe or pub for lunch or coffee etc. also consider spending extra time in Europe after the cruise. We spent two weeks travelling around Germany by train. It’s cheap, clean, safe and above all fascinating.

We were on Viking Jarl departing Budapest on 23 April 2017.

I don’t know if snow in April is usual or not. It only snowed the first day we were there. The other days were cold, wet and windy. If you are going to be there in March you will need warm clothes. Layers work best and the outer layer should be wind and water proof. Don’t forget hats and gloves. It’s a fascinating city and you wouldn’t want to be stuck inside due to not having appropriate clothing.

Some tours the shopping was central to the activity eg the winery / monastery visit. In other tours there was time at the end.

There’s just no way you will see everything there is to see. However if you go on the daily tour you will see a lot of interesting things. Consider making your own way back to the ship if you have time. This will give you the chance to drop in at a cafe or pub for lunch or coffee etc. also consider spending extra time in Europe after the cruise. We spent two weeks travelling around Germany by train. It’s cheap, clean, safe and above all fascinating.

Thanks for the information. We did a 18 day tour of Europe a couple years ago and had a great time.

We are doing the pre cruise and arriving a few days before we sail in Budapest and we are doing the post cruise in Czech Republic, did you extend your trip to Czech Republic, if so what the sites not to miss.

if you don't mind I have a few more questions.

I have read that you might have to change boats due to the water levels, did you have to?

Is credit cards accepted at the different ports

This is our 1st River Cruise, how would you rate Viking.

Any additional information that you think would be helpful,, would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your help.

Romantic Danube was my first Viking cruise, number 3 (Rhone River) starts in a few days. Now I went in December, so it was more of a Christmas Markets cruise, but I may be able to offer you some helpful information.

I don't think the euro is widely used in Budapest (At least in December 2014 it wasn't, but that might have changed). However most shops did accept credit cards.

Keep some coinage handy as many "Public" restrooms charge a fee (Usually 50 cent euro). This is true in many places in Europe.

Budapest is very walkable from where the boat docks (Near the famous Chain Bridge).

In Vienna they had cards printed up with the docking location, in case you did independent sightseeing, that you could give to a taxi driver to bring you back. Where we docked wasn't too far from a metro station if you don't wish to pay for a taxi.

Passau and Regensburg the boat docks right in town. You can take the included walking tour, or ditch the guide and do it yourself depending on your comfort level. Our guide in Passau was great, the one in Regensburg not so much. We had plenty of free time in both towns.

Do you like palaces? in Regensburg the privately owned palace of the Thurn & Taxis family may be opened. It's larger than Buckingham Palace and the rooms we toured were beautiful.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Romantic Danube was my first Viking cruise, number 3 (Rhone River) starts in a few days. Now I went in December, so it was more of a Christmas Markets cruise, but I may be able to offer you some helpful information.

I don't think the euro is widely used in Budapest (At least in December 2014 it wasn't, but that might have changed). However most shops did accept credit cards.

Keep some coinage handy as many "Public" restrooms charge a fee (Usually 50 cent euro). This is true in many places in Europe.

Budapest is very walkable from where the boat docks (Near the famous Chain Bridge).

In Vienna they had cards printed up with the docking location, in case you did independent sightseeing, that you could give to a taxi driver to bring you back. Where we docked wasn't too far from a metro station if you don't wish to pay for a taxi.

Passau and Regensburg the boat docks right in town. You can take the included walking tour, or ditch the guide and do it yourself depending on your comfort level. Our guide in Passau was great, the one in Regensburg not so much. We had plenty of free time in both towns.

Do you like palaces? in Regensburg the privately owned palace of the Thurn & Taxis family may be opened. It's larger than Buckingham Palace and the rooms we toured were beautiful.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Thanks so much for the information Rosethorn40,

1. we had no water level issues but this can't be predicted this far out. ya just gotta watch how the spring rains happen. Using Vienna as a mid point reference, April temps average high of 57 and low of 41 (f) ... according to the documents we were provided. For us, in late may it was a bit warmer but the info was generally accurate.

We are cruising this december and would like to know what time the ship leaves each port of call from budapest to nuremberg. We wanted to visit the christmas markets at night and dont know if the ship stays in port at night. So was just wondering. Thx Steve

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are cruising this december and would like to know what time the ship leaves each port of call from budapest to nuremberg. We wanted to visit the christmas markets at night and dont know if the ship stays in port at night. So was just wondering. Thx Steve

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am going by memory here, which at times can be a little faulty, but if memory serves me right:

Budapest (The day you board) the ship stays docked neared the Chain Bridge overnight, and you can visit several Christmas Markets within easy walking distance of the ship.

Vienna the ship is docked until rather late (11-ish?) because there is an optional concert that many attend.

Passau and Regensburg the ship sets sail in the afternoon, but there was an option on our cruise to stay in town and catch a coach/bus later to where the ship was. In Passau we had to catch the bus around 5 or 5:30, and in Regensburg we took an optional excursion to the Thurn & Taxis palace that had a wonderful Christmas Market. The bus left around 6 pm. It was dark, so we did get to see the market lite up.

Nuremburg the bus from the market back to the ship was just before dinner, but if you wanted to stay later you could, but you would need to find a taxi to get back to the ship on your own.

Its a wonderful trip-enjoy!