MSC Meriviglia

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:35 AM.
1 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Hi,
My family and I are booked onto the MSC Meriviglia over the Christmas period. I have been searching and have enquired with MSC also (with no success), what activities will be happening on board on Christmas day? We are due to dock in Civitaveccha (Rome) on 25/12/2017, but have been told that most of Rome City attractions will be closed on Christmas Day as this is a religious holiday.

I was hoping, that someone could advise me or give me a clue of where to find the information.

Many Thanks

S
Cork
1,016 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
It is also a national holiday meaning all shops will be closed as well. Most café will also be closed.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

02-07-2015 Norwegian Getaway
10-04-2014 Norwegian Jade
08-10-2013 Crown Princess
USA
1,228 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Not sure if this helps, but here is what I've found:

https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/MSC...r-Cruises.aspx

http://cruiseweb.com/blog/2016/11/ce...th-msc-cruises

http://www.travelagentcentral.com/cr...oliday-cruises

Christmas: MSC Divina will feature traditional decorations, Christmas trees and a gingerbread village created by the ship's pastry chefs. Christmas carols will be played and there will be a Broadway-style Christmas show. There will be a Christmas market set up onboard offering gifts and decorations for sale. Seasonal movies will be played on big screens and there will be special themed cooking classes, arts and crafts sessions and holiday parades. Santa will be onboard to present each child with a gift. A Christmas mass will also be held on the ship.
On Christmas Eve, there will be a gala dinner and a special lunch on Christmas Day, complete with holiday specialties and festive cocktails.
California, USA
2,115 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
We were once on a cruise that docked on Christmas Day. We made sure to take a ship-sponsored shore excursion, because a lot of things that are 'closed' will magically open just for the cruise ships. If you take an MSC excursion, they will be able to 'guarantee' that you will have access to the locations described.
Philadelphia,Pa
1,000 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
We are also on this cruise with an extended family of 8. We have all been to Rome many, many times so we weren't thinking of going there at all. I did checkout some private tour companies about going to some of the smaller hill towns like Orvieto and while the private tour companies are working ALL those small historic towns will be closed also for Christmas, so once we discussed this among the family we felt it doesn't make sense to spend the money on a private tour to anywhere when all the places are just going to be shuttered up.

I also looked into renting a mini van for self drive but all the car rentals are closed. Oh and Ostia Antica is closed as well. We all decided that Christmas Day would be a great STAY ON THE SHIP Day and for us since we would have just boarded the day before gives us an opportunity to explore the ship.
Originally posted by Sam H
Hi,
My family and I are booked onto the MSC Meriviglia over the Christmas period. I have been searching and have enquired with MSC also (with no success), what activities will be happening on board on Christmas day? We are due to dock in Civitaveccha (Rome) on 25/12/2017, but have been told that most of Rome City attractions will be closed on Christmas Day as this is a religious holiday.

I was hoping, that someone could advise me or give me a clue of where to find the information.

Many Thanks

S
Bolton / Accrington, Lancashire, UK
7,807 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
If MSC have any sense it will be a sea day, we did a Xmas cruise on Costa Deliziosa a few years ago, Xmas day was a sea day, Boxing day was a port call at Cagliari Sardinia, we found one restaurant open and the market.
The ho ho buses were running though.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Small things Amuse Small Minds while Bigger Fools Look on.

Relax Unwind Be Yourself! =Ruby Princess.

YOU CAN`T APPRECIATE THE RAINBOW WITHOUT THE RAIN.
[email protected]

MSC Seaside December 2017 Caribbean
MSC Preziosa September 2017 Northern Europe.
Majestic Princess April 2017 Inaugural med cruise.
MSC Orchestra November 2014 Venice to Dubai
MSC Divina November 2013 T.A. Venice to Miami
MSC Opera June 2013 Southampton to Norway
MSC Poesia November 2012 T.A Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale
NCL Jade April/May 2012 B2B Venice to Greek Islands
NCL Jade February 2012 Barcelona to Canary Islands
Costa Deliziosa December 2011 Savona to Savona
Mariner of the Seas May 2011Rome to Rome
Oasis of the Seas October 2010 Caribbean
Queen Victoria May 2010 Southampton to Southampton
Ruby Princess November 2009....
Vision of the Seas September 2009 Denmark to Norway
Brilliance of the Seas June 2009 Barcelona to Barcelona.
Ruby Princess November 2008 ....

Sweden
2,293 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by sidari
If MSC have any sense it will be a sea day, we did a Xmas cruise on Costa Deliziosa a few years ago, Xmas day was a sea day, Boxing day was a port call at Cagliari Sardinia, we found one restaurant open and the market.
The ho ho buses were running though.
If it's a cruise they make week after week (and not a special Christmas cruise) it make sense to continue with the normal itinerary.

If not, which day shall be a seaday? December 24 or December 25? In many countries December 24 is the day to celebrate Christmas and the 25th is more like a normal Sunday.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked:
2019 MSC Divina, Caribbean, 11-nights, MSC Yacht Club deluxe suite (16027)

Completed:
2017 MSC Meraviglia, Mediterranean, 7-nights, MSC Yacht Club deluxe suite (15013)
2015 Norwegian Breakaway, Southern Caribbean, 12-nights, The Haven Penthouse (12706)
2012 Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean, 7-nights, The Haven Courtyard Penthouse (17002)
2011 Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean, 7-nights, The Haven Spa Suite (14145)
2009 Norwegian Jade, Ireland, 5-nights, Penthouse (8632)
2008 Norwegian Jewel, Transatlantic, 11-nights, Balcony (10034)
2006 Norwegian Dawn, Western Caribbean, 11-nights, Balcony (9576)
2004 Norwegian Wind, Hawaii, 11-nights, Superior Oceanview (0010)
4,358 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Is Christmas Day a sea-day for you, Dave, or Is your itinerary in "wait and see" mode? We'll be in Piraeus. We'd planned to stay onboard, anyway - we chose a Christmas cruise to enjoy being on the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bea
'Would I could set sail upon the water'.

PREVIOUSLY ON:

MSC Magnifica Sept/Oct 2017

MSC Meraviglia June 2017 (YC)
MSC Fantasia Feb 2017
MSC Sinfonia Nov 2016 (b2b)
MSC Sinfonia Oct 2016
MSC Sinfonia Aug 2016
MSC Magnifica April 2016
Celebrity Millennium Jan 2016
MSC Divina Oct 2015 (TA)
MSC Divina Sep 2015 (YC)
MSC Preziosa Mar 2015 (TA)
MSC Fantasia Dec 2014
MSC Preziosa Aug 2014 (YC)
MSC Preziosa May 2014
MSC Splendida Feb 2014
MSC Splendida Feb 2013
MSC Splendida Feb 2012 (YC)
MSC Fantasia Nov 2011
Carnival Sensation Sept 2000
Washington
65 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
We will also be on this cruise and I was wondering the same thing we booked the Baroque Tour through the ship just to be safe because if they were not able to show the places listed we would get out money back.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Disney- Magic Eastern Caribbean 2012
Disney- Dream Bahamas 2014
Princess- Grand Hawaii 2014
Holland America- Mrs. Westerdam Alaska 2014
RCCL- Freedom of the Seas 2015
Celebrity- Solstice Alaska 2016
NCL-Jewel Mexico March 2017
MSC- Divina Caribbean Aug 2017
MSC- Meraviglia Mediterranean Dec 2017
MSC- MAGNIFICA Eastern Europe Oct 2018