Review of First MSC Cruise on Fantasia

Coastmonkey1

Just back off our first MSC Cruise on the Fantasia. We cruised many times before with Princess and wanted to try something different.Apart from the great deal we got we had heard MSC was very child friendly and with a nearly 3 year old which would be her first cruise we thought we wouldgive it a go. We had read many mixed reviews on here before we went so we were going with an open mind. The holiday didn’t start well as we had planned to fly into Barcelona the night before we were to join the ship but Ryanair had different ideas so ended up flying very early morning the day we joined. We arrived at the terminal about 1015 they took our bags and we had to wait until 1130 until the boarding started. We had been status matched to Black so where the first to board after the Yacht Club.

The Ship was beautiful and immaculately clean. We were toldour cruise cards would be in the cabin but not until after 2pm. We decided togo to the cabin and see if we could leave our hand luggage there until the roomwas ready. When we got there the room was ready and our cards on the bed forus. We had a Balcony cabin on deck 9 which was a great size with a sofa bedwhich our daughter loved and very clean. We went down and registered our CC onone of the machines which was so easy and then went for lunch in the buffet.

We read on here a lot about the food being bad, not enoughor cold. All I can say is that people who complain about the food on MSC mustbe really fussy. I enjoy my food and never went hungry. Portion size can besmall but if you have an appetiser, main course and dessert you will be morethan satisfied. We were on first sitting at 18:15 and had a lovely table forthe 3 of us. It was an 11 night cruise and there was never any repetition ofthe menu. We never experienced any cold food and overall couldn’t complainabout the food at all. There was always something we could choose.

Our daughter is only 2 months shy of being 3 butunfortunately this meant she couldn’t go to the kids club without one of usbeing present. We didn’t mind that as we were on a family holiday. She stillcould partake in the activities like children’s disco and the pizza making andwhen the mini club was open could go in there as long as one of us accompaniedher. Otherwise she loved the pool and dancing to the music on deck and in thelounges. What we found great was that we could still enjoy a drink in theevening and she could dance in the lounges close to where we were sitting andit didn’t seem to bother anyone a really big plus for us. We even took her to afew of the shows in the evening which we all really enjoyed. We hired astroller on board which was free and saved us having to bring one with us.

Overall the entertainment was very good aboard, the showswhere really good and there was always live music in the bars and lounges everyevening. We had the All Inclusive drinks package which was fantastic and hadeverything included we wanted. The wine by the glass was a beautiful Sicilianred which we really enjoyed. The only thing I found a bit frustrating was thelack of bar servers in the lounges it took ages sometimes to get someone totake our order. It wasn’t the servers fault as an extra 1 or 2 servers perlounge would of solved that especially during busy times. Overall we couldn’tfault any of the staff as on the most part they were very friendly. The onlytime I was disappointed with the customer service was at the reception desk. Wehad bought the internet package and I went to ask how to log on. I got a veryrude and abrupt gentleman who basically looked and spoke to me as if I was stupid,I watched him with others as well and he was just so unprofessional and obviouslydid not want to be there. On the internet package it was awful. The only timewe could get any kind of service on it was at about 0600 in the morning afterthat forget about it. We used 3G most of the time as we were nearly alwaysclose to land.

There were a lot of different nationalities on board themajority being French, German, Italian and British. We found this great it madea change from mainly US and our daughter can now say hello in quite a fewlanguages. Because of this the announcements where in 5 or 6 differentlanguages this didn’t bother us at all there were not that many. It did seem tobother a few of the English speakers who in the future should stick to P&Oor Cunard if they are that bothered.

The biggest disappointment we had was for the last 2 days ofour cruise when new occupants came into the cabin next door. They werecontinually smoking on the balcony and my wife even witnessed one of themthrowing a cigarette overboard. We complained to the desk and I have to say thegirl I spoke to was very efficient and sent security straight away but by thistime they had stopped and there was nothing security could do without catchingthem in the act .She told me if they smoked again to call the desk straightaway, I did but could never get through and when I did they had finished. Theyknew it was us who complained and we felt very intimidated when we saw them. Itcontinued for the next 2 days and we couldn’t use our balcony for the rest ofthe cruise because of the smell. I really feel strongly about smoking onbalconies as we were on the Star Princess in 2006 when she had a massive fireon the balcony caused by someone throwing a cigarette overboard which blew backon board and caused a fire. Check out youtube Star Princess fire. It wasterrifying. I don’t understand why the cabin stewards don’t report people whenthey obviously find evidence on the balconies. I know this might be a bit pettyof me but when you have experienced first hand a fire of that magnitude it justmakes me mad why people can’t use the designated smoking areas on board withoutpotentially putting the lives of everyone on board at risk. Ok rant over

We also bought the photo package the one with 100 photos. Atthe end of the cruise when we were choosing the photos we only had 86, we askedone of the photo staff if we could have a few extra prints of the ones weespecially liked she said no problem just tell them at the desk. Went to thedesk and showed them the ones I wanted copied. Was told would be an extracharge for extra prints. Explained wasn’t extra just copies to bring total upto 100. No give or take so we left with 86. All in all it is a great packageeven with the 86 it worked out at just over £1 per photo. I will get it againon the next one I just think the staff should all be on the one page when itcomes to explaining the packages.

Apart from that we thoroughly enjoyed our time on board theMSC Fantasia. We will definitely cruise with MSC again we are currently lookingat booking our next. We think we will book the Aurea package next time as wereally want to have the anytime dining as the 18:15 seating was a little rushedfor us and the late seating will be too late for our little one. Plus with thedrinks package and the massages included it works well for us going by what wespent on this cruise. I hope this review helps any first time MSC cruiser. Wehad read so many mixed reviews on here but can happily say we were definitelynot disappointed. It was a little disorganised at times and there were a fewlines at peak times but this it to be expected. We were on holidays to have agood time and relax if we had to wait we had to wait we had nowhere to be in ahurry. If you want something that iswell organised and runs like clockwork join the army. This is a holiday go withthe flow and you will have a brilliant time. It is what you make it and we hada fantastic time. I would 100% recommend MSC Cruises to anyone.

Delighted you enjoyed your cruise, CM.

Have to say I agree with you about an Aurea booking. We're leaning more and more that way, too, having mainly had Fantastica balcony cabins (or equivalent before the "Experiences" were introduced). Especially when the drinks package isn't included in the fare - the difference in price between the two is often minimal if you take the Fantastica price and add the cost of a drinks package, then compare it to the Aurea price with the included extras such as priority boarding (for those who aren't Black Card, that is) and MyChoice dining - 2 perks that can't be purchased, otherwise. Then add the included massage, free access to the private sundeck and thermal suite in the Spa, plus the lovely MSC scented diffuser and you can see how much more value you're getting with the upgraded "Experience".

Great review CM.

I think those who write the negative reviews should have to prove they were there with a picture of their cruise card.

Totally get the Cunard & P&O comment.

Had a chat on Divina to a guy who was moaning and growning. Didn’t say please or thank you to the server, positioned himself to ensure he and his wife had 4 spaces for the 2 of them, shook their heads at every person who didn’t have a tuxedo on or looked ‘non British’ and were talking or laughing. Asked him how many cruises he had been on..... “7 Cunard and 4 P&O but the dates we had to come over here (USA) they are not here.”

Why would you book a cruise to be miserable?

Guess we know where 2 Brexit votes came from!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am going on msc seaside in March. I am confused about dining, I can not get anytime dining if I booked a cheep inside cabin? I am used to royal and carnival. Please help

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am going on msc seaside in March. I am confused about dining, I can not get anytime dining if I booked a cheep inside cabin? I am used to royal and carnival. Please help

Only Aurea and Yacht Club "Experience" bookings have anytime dining. If you book a Bella inside cabin, you won't even know what sitting you'll be allocated - early or late - until embarkation, as it depends on MDR capacity and Bella bookings don't get a choice beforehand.

We've recently cruised on Fantasia in a balcony cabin and didn't get any time dining, so it's not confined to inside cabins. We found it a bit odd having fixed dinner sittings as we're used to flexible dining times and we found the dinner service rushed, three courses served and out the door in 45 minutes.

I

We've recently cruised on Fantasia in a balcony cabin and didn't get any time dining, so it's not confined to inside cabins. We found it a bit odd having fixed dinner sittings as we're used to flexible dining times and we found the dinner service rushed, three courses served and out the door in 45 minutes.

Fantasia doesn't have anytime dining unless in Yacht Club. It's only their big new ships which have introduced it, I think.

Were you on 1st sitting? I eat late so always go for 2nd sittiing and have never felt rushed. (Can't remember last time I only had 3 courses at dinner, either. LOL)

May I ask you a question? I've read that the Divina has introduced supplementary charges on their menus for what they call "Divina Treats". I am cruising on Fantasia again next week and wonder if they have introduced additional charge items to their main dining room set lunch/dinner menus.

Edited by canny_cruiser

Fantasia doesn't have anytime dining unless in Yacht Club. It's only their big new ships which have introduced it, I think.

Aurea bookings on all MSC ships have anytime dining - known as "MyChoice".

Apologies for the double photo of the burger - I've tried to edit it without success. Anyway, lobster and T-bone are offered at an extra cost. The burger was offered on Magnifica when we were onboard 4 weeks ago; it was the first time I've seen this and I was on Fantasia in February.

Bear in mind that 15% service charge is added to these prices.

Aurea bookings on all MSC ships have anytime dining - known as "MyChoice".

Apologies for the double photo of the burger - I've tried to edit it without success. Anyway, lobster and T-bone are offered at an extra cost. The burger was offered on Magnifica when we were onboard 4 weeks ago; it was the first time I've seen this and I was on Fantasia in February.

Bear in mind that 15% service charge is added to these prices.

Many thanks for the info & pics. What I saw in another thread (which I can't now find - typical!) was rhe Divina MDR menu which actually had a section called Divina Treats where there were supplementary charges for the dishes. I've not seen anything like that on anynof my previous MSC cruises.

Many thanks for the info & pics. What I saw in another thread (which I can't now find - typical!) was rhe Divina MDR menu which actually had a section called Divina Treats where there were supplementary charges for the dishes. I've not seen anything like that on anynof my previous MSC cruises.

I vaguely remember seeing that on here, too! IIRC, there was a prawn cocktail included? clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

So many things done differently on Divina! clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744