Two nights on Solstice

Hey les.

If princess is a better product than celebrity, we need to cancel our cruise on the solstice to nz. Went on a 26 nighter on the golden last year and we thought it was very ordinary at best.

Just our thoughts.

Cheers bob.

BOB...Agreed Princess Cruises from Straya are ordinary, but Princess Cruises from USA/Europe are a cut above, done all of them. Why? Because the Americans are on board over there and want the best and they get it.:confused:

BOB...Agreed Princess Cruises from Straya are ordinary, but Princess Cruises from USA/Europe are a cut above, done all of them. Why? Because the Americans are on board over there and want the best and they get it.:confused:

I don't think you can really compare a short sampler cruise to a normal, longer Cellebrity cruise As you say Les, the Yanks normally get a better deal and normally the percentage of Americans on Celebrity cruises out of Sydney is way way higher than any other so the the standards and expectations are higher than a two day booze cruise which was probably only done to fill in a two day gap in the ships planned schedule.

a two day booze cruise which was probably only done to fill in a two day gap in the ships planned schedule.

Doesn't seem like that's the reason.

They could have easily added the two days on to the 22 Oct itinerary, by visiting other destinations such as Mystery Island or even Brisbane as they are later in the season.

They could have easily added the two days on to the 22 Oct itinerary, by visiting other destinations such as Mystery Island or even Brisbane as they are later in the season.

In hindsight I wish we hadn't of done the two day one because it's making me apprehensive about the Jan one we already have booked and paid for .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah but I’m pretty sure we paid more per night than the next cruise was paying, plus I bet they sold a ton of booze.

Yes.. providing that the OPT is free that day( and I don't think it is) and would the two extra days make the following cruise " unworkable" because not enough days for it to be completed.. there can be a massive knock on effect for the future cruises which are planned a couple of years in advance ... and as GUT has already said.. there would probably be a lot more revenue in the two day booze cruise.

Agree, at least there are no drunks, vomit or anti social behaviour on here, yet. :')

Crikey after reading all these posts by you guys re the weekend on Solstice, hard to believe it is the same Celebrity Solstice we were on for 14 days to NZ in 2012, of course it was mostly dinosaurs on that cruise, most in bed by 9pm.

Agree. We did Alaska on the Solstice 2 years ago and had a completely different experience. We found the food, service and ship to be excellent. There were quite a few Aussies as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by cruisine21

Hey les.

If princess is a better product than celebrity, we need to cancel our cruise on the solstice to nz. Went on a 26 nighter on the golden last year and we thought it was very ordinary at best.

Just our thoughts.

Cheers bob.

We have found Celebrity to be superior, in our opinion, to Princess. We have cruised on Solstice (Alaska) as well as on Century, Millenium and Infinity. We have booked Solstice for a Pacific cruise in Jan and half circumnavigation Au/NZ in March.

In hindsight I wish we hadn't of done the two day one because it's making me apprehensive about the Jan one we already have booked and paid for .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You definitely don't have to be worried at all. Sampler cruises really do not show a ship at its best. Over eating, over drinking, over partying is the norm. And all crammed into approx 36 hrs!! Keep in mind that your upcoming cruise will be like chalk and cheese. You will really enjoy your cruise because the Solstice delivers a memorable cruise.

Hi ccc.

I hope your right, next week we pay for our cruise on the Solstice to NZ. We are a little concerned at the moment about the negativity.

Cheers Bob.

I wouldn’t be concerned Bob.

She is a lovely ship.

Booze cruises pretty much always have the negatives others have mentioned, even a four night cruise can have that type of issue. Then there was the added issue of a noro outbreak.

I don't think you can really compare a short sampler cruise to a normal, longer Cellebrity cruise As you say Les, the Yanks normally get a better deal and normally the percentage of Americans on Celebrity cruises out of Sydney is way way higher than any other so the the standards and expectations are higher than a two day booze cruise which was probably only done to fill in a two day gap in the ships planned schedule.

Short 2 night sampler cruises used to be marketed as an introduction to cruising for people who had never cruised before. It was a good opportunity for people to experience cruising life before committing to a full cruise. The idea was to generate new customers but by the sound of this cruise it may have turned many people away. I have been on Solstice and I rate it as one of my favourite ships and favourite cruises. On my longer cruise I never experienced any of the problems that people have reported on this sampler cruise. Let's hope it was just a once off experience.

Agree, I've been on 4 celebrity cruises, including the weekend sampler.

Solstice is a beautiful ship, the staff are generally wonderful, the weekend sampler was not reflective of their normal product.

I've got two more celebrity bookings, one in March, so I am looking forward to the comparison.

I have contacted celebrity in regards to not reciting the concierge amenities, first by email, then by phone, I've received small compensation as a result.

The poor girl I spoke to today, said she had worked in the complaints department for 2 years and has never had so many complaints about one cruise.

The company is well aware of the issues, mainly concierge not receiving amenities, long lines at restaurants, even longer lines at the buffet and poor service at all the bars.

Yeah but I’m pretty sure we paid more per night than the next cruise was paying, plus I bet they sold a ton of booze.

Oh yeah! Samplers aren't cheap; usually one of the highest in the season in per night costs. And as you say, they're not short on bar revenue.

Yes.. providing that the OPT is free that day( and I don't think it is) and would the two extra days make the following cruise " unworkable" because not enough days for it to be completed.. there can be a massive knock on effect for the futureare planned a couple of years in advance ...

This season they are booked at OPT 20 Oct, 22 Oct and 30 Oct.

By adding the two days to the next cruise they would actually not need the 22 Oct visit at the OPT, so there would not be an issue of it being free since they need fewer days, not more.

As for adding 2 days to the next cruise, I don't see how making an 8 day cruise a 10 day cruise would be unworkable.

They run both shorter cruises than that, and longer cruises than that, so 10 days should be very workable. And as mentioned the additional stops are ports they are already visiting later in the season, so not an issue there. Some ports may not be available specific days, but then with that many days there is flexibility that they can change the schedule readily.

and as GUT has already said.. there would probably be a lot more revenue in the two day booze cruise.
Yes, but that's quite a different reason from needing to fill a gap in the schedule.

Hi ccc.

I hope your right, next week we pay for our cruise on the Solstice to NZ. We are a little concerned at the moment about the negativity.

Cheers Bob.

Don't be concerned, our cruise to NZ On Solstice last year was out of this world. You will hardly find a negative thing said about her on the forums, unless it's regarding the 2 day sampler. I was chatting to some of the staff that I know from my previous cruise and they were totally unimpressed with the cruise as well. All will now return to the way it should be. You are bound to have a lovely cruise.

Cheers

belinda

@portcbob,

no need for concern.

the Solstice is a great ship. we loved it.