Change of itinary on Oriana

Amount2

Currently on Oriana in Catania due to change of itinary allegedly because of bad weather around Italian coast Venice port of call and Kotor cancelled not at all happy especially as we are being followed around by Queen Victoria which docked in Venice with no problems and then went on to Kotor. Alternative shore excursions in an OVERNIGHT stay in Catonia included two SEGWAY EXCURSIONS for a ship with a majority of elderly people was good thinking by P&O NOT.If we NEVER see Catania again it will be too soon very poor show by P&O. A already booked cruise next year with them but based on this experience will probably cancel.:mad::mad::mad:

There were serious weather conditons around Venice last week and with the recent storms and winds here and in Europe, it is not surprising that you are experiencing problems out there. It is disappointing, but nothing can be done versus such weather conditions.

The fact that Queen V got in where you didn't is probably because of her different structure and other technical reasons that you and I know nothing of as laypeople.

I think you are risking missing out on the overall enjoyment of your cruise if you can't accept this for what it is, which would be a big shame.

Try and relax and enjoy being onboard the lovely Oriana. I would gladly swap places with you.

:)

Currently on Oriana in Catania due to change of itinary allegedly because of bad weather ...

I think bad weather is a more likely cause for the reason, rather than being just to annoy you.

If you don't believe the cancellation was weather related, do you have any other ideas?

There were serious weather conditons around Venice last week and with the recent storms and winds here and in Europe, it is not surprising that you are experiencing problems out there. It is disappointing, but nothing can be done versus such weather conditions.

The fact that Queen V got in where you didn't is probably because of her different structure and other technical reasons that you and I know nothing of as laypeople.

I think you are risking missing out on the overall enjoyment of your cruise if you can't accept this for what it is, which would be a big shame.

Try and relax and enjoy being onboard the lovely Oriana. I would gladly swap places with you.

:)

I could not agree more.

Enjoy the cruise. Catania is not Venice admittedly and segway is certainly not ideal but I've visited there many times and enjoyed it.

Unfortunately adverse weather does happen on any cruise , can't do anything about it. Accept it and enjoy Oriana but I wouldn't cancel the next one.

Venice would be the highlight of the cruise for many people, so I am sure P&O and the Captain would have done anything possible to get there. I really don't think they would want to antagonise passengers. Queen Victoria was actually in Venice the day after Oriana and was also starting her current cruise there I believe.

I suspect that Queen Victoria was able to dock because she is propelled by Azipods (which can move 360 degrees so make her more maneuverable). I would also be really disappointed to miss Venice and Kotor, but if the weather doesn't make it safe........

It is really annoying when you miss ports you were looking forward to, so I fully sympathise.

The weather is however beyond the control of anyone. At least you have another port, even if it is not a particulalry good one compared to Venice. It is worse when they just add extra sea days.

Try not to let it spoil the whole holiday, hard though that may be.

The weather was bad is Venice last week, my sister was on an NCL ship that could not get into Venice so missed their flights home.

NCL were not too good, they were told on the ship that they had to sort out their own hotels for the night and flights for the next day even though they had booked a package. Since they got home NCL have contacted them to ask for their receipts for the hotel, taxi and flights so that they can refund them. This is OK for people like my sister and her husband who are used to travelling and are confident sorting themselves out but what about those who have difficulties doing these sort of things. As my sister said the cruise was great but they won't go with them again as they now know that they are not good in a problem situation.

I was on Oceana last week when we hit fog outside Venice and ships were unable to enter or leave the port for a while. We had a ship either side of us about half a mile away and we couldn't see them at all. We were due in about 08 00.

The Captain investigated other ports, but without success and our next port Ravenna was closed all day because of fog that day and very congested the next.

However despite our fears, we were allowed to go into Venice later when the port cleared. A Regatta was delayed to enable the ships stuck in port from the night before to come out and to let us in. We got in about 3 pm and we had a huge treat - we stayed overnight in Venice and stayed until about 3 30 the next afternoon. We personally were over the moon and it was fantastic to enjoy a trip down the Grand Canal in the dark and also to have a meal sitting outside in the narrow streets of Venice.

The Captain was brilliant throughout, talking us through his decision and the fact that we would not be calling into Ravenna. It later transpired that Ravenna was so congested that day that we would have got in about middday and would have had to leave about 3 ish, so woujld not have worked out anyway.

Disappointment was obviously felt by those who wanted Ravenna particularly, but as most people viewed Venice as the highlight of this part of the cruise and it was Oceana's last call of the season, Venice took priority.

It was good to have been kept up to date with all the issues by the Captain.

The weather was bad is Venice last week, my sister was on an NCL ship that could not get into Venice so missed their flights home.

NCL were not too good, they were told on the ship that they had to sort out their own hotels for the night and flights for the next day even though they had booked a package. Since they got home NCL have contacted them to ask for their receipts for the hotel, taxi and flights so that they can refund them. This is OK for people like my sister and her husband who are used to travelling and are confident sorting themselves out but what about those who have difficulties doing these sort of things. As my sister said the cruise was great but they won't go with them again as they now know that they are not good in a problem situation.

Just as a matter of interest.....how did your sister manage to sort out this problem? Did they get into Venice a day late? Did they just have to turn up at the airport and hope a flight was available or did they do it all on-line or by phone from the ship? I am intrigued as I just would not know how or where to start trying to get home

Just as a matter of interest.....how did your sister manage to sort out this problem? Did they get into Venice a day late? Did they just have to turn up at the airport and hope a flight was available or did they do it all on-line or by phone from the ship? I am intrigued as I just would not know how or where to start trying to get home

The fog lifted after a few hours so they got into Venice about 6 hours late but by then they were too late for their flight. She booked a flight for the next day using the internet on her phone from the ship, she then booked an airport hotel again on the internet. When they disembarked they took a taxi to the hotel. She is not as stroppy as I am so she just got on with organising everything herself when told that they would have to sort themselves out. It is the first time that she has ever organised flights and hotels in a foreign country but she had no problem even though she nor her husband speak no languages other than English.

The fog lifted after a few hours so they got into Venice about 6 hours late but by then they were too late for their flight. She booked a flight for the next day using the internet on her phone from the ship, she then booked an airport hotel again on the internet. When they disembarked they took a taxi to the hotel. She is not as stroppy as I am so she just got on with organising everything herself when told that they would have to sort themselves out. It is the first time that she has ever organised flights and hotels in a foreign country but she had no problem even though she nor her husband speak no languages other than English.

Thank you for the reply. I need to make sure I go on the same holidays as your sister :)

Well I am over sixty and have done several Segway excursions! You should try it, great fun!

We love Segways too and have done a number of tours in cities on them. One work of warning, make sure your insurance includes cover for this as some exclude it if not specifically be name, by definition.

g

Your sister certainly did well

I like to think it could have been easier - I would have called / emailed my cruise travel agent and he would have organised for us

We love Segways too and have done a number of tours in cities on them. One work of warning, make sure your insurance includes cover for this as some exclude it if not specifically be name, by definition.

Yes, I make sure to check. Fortunately it is covered.

g

Your sister certainly did well

I like to think it could have been easier - I would have called / emailed my cruise travel agent and he would have organised for us

Afraid I am a pessimist. I would be afraid if I did that, they would be too slow and all the airport hotels and flights would be snapped up by others doing their own bookings! Or else they might book unsuitable flights. Best to keep control in your own hands.

Afraid I am a pessimist. I would be afraid if I did that, they would be too slow and all the airport hotels and flights would be snapped up by others doing their own bookings! Or else they might book unsuitable flights. Best to keep control in your own hands.

Possibly but I have a good relationship with a good agent and know he would be on to it

I suspect that Queen Victoria was able to dock because she is propelled by Azipods (which can move 360 degrees so make her more maneuverable). I would also be really disappointed to miss Venice and Kotor, but if the weather doesn't make it safe........

I was about to say that myself, the Azipods can work wonders in poor weather, they are a good feature of the 'Vista Class ships.' Nothing can be done about the weather, one cruise I went on around Australia on Sun Princess missed 4 of 10 ports because of weather. Likewise on Arcadia in 2012, Sydney to Southampton we missed the Seychelles and St Helena because of poor weather. Luck of the draw.:o

Amount2 maybe cruising is not for you. A good 80% of the cruises we have done have been altered n some way from what had been planned..for many reason...strikes..missiles being thrown at each other....weather...

One just has to accept these things.if you are unable to accept..then as I said maybe cruising is not for you.

One f those cruises was to the Holy land just before Christmas. Obviously that would have been our highlight. A few weeks before the cruise they started throwing missiles at each other. As soon as I saw that in the news I knew we would not be going there.

Annoying yes..but whichever line you go with may have similar problems.

As Amount2 has only ever made one post and has never been back on the Forum then perhaps Cruise Critic isn't for them either.

I will drink to that, tolerance is needed on the ships.:cool:At the end of the day the Captain calls the shots re operational matters.

My wife and I are on X722 on Oriana departing on Monday. It's supposed to stop in Barcelona next Saturday (Nov 4th) but with what's going on in Catalonia at the moment it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that stop is cancelled. Things like this are completely out of P&O's control. Of course, we'll be disappointed if the port is missed, but it's just something that we'll have to put up with. It also wouldn't surprise me if P&O already have contingency plans in place just in case.

My wife and I are on X722 on Oriana departing on Monday. It's supposed to stop in Barcelona next Saturday (Nov 4th) but with what's going on in Catalonia at the moment it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that stop is cancelled. Things like this are completely out of P&O's control. Of course, we'll be disappointed if the port is missed, but it's just something that we'll have to put up with. It also wouldn't surprise me if P&O already have contingency plans in place just in case.

No I don't think I would want be spend time in Barcelona right now. Too volatile by far. I hope if it does change that you get another port and not just an extra sea day.