Current Open Hotels in San Juan

SeaTrailer

Thanks for the heads up jswdlw....I really appreciate this. So is that Marriott property not housing relief workers for certain?

we are booked 3 nights pre and 2 nights post cruise in SJ - we have a great TA so I will reach out to them for advise. Currently dealing with wildfire disasters in our community so this is just more than I can take on at the moment - and honestly, right now 5 nights in San Juan is not attractive at all - I think we will focus on Florida pre and post.

I have a feeling that there are a whole lot of passengers planning on staying in San Juan over the next few months that are not even aware of this situation. What a complete cluster. IMHO

Edited by Vineyard View

This is my latest update.

As per Sheraton webpage, all San Juan hotel are not accepting reservation until the first of the year.

Comfort Inn has cancelled reservations, without notifying customers.

On the website listed above for daily status of hotels, it is miss leading. Hotels are showing open and yet not accepting reservation. The reason why is they are housing the workers.

Which Comfort Inn? I just confirmed my reservation for Oct 27th yesterday (3rd time) and received an email confirmation this morning.

AC Hotel just sent us a cancellation email this evening for Friday, October 27. I had just reconfirmed this reservation on Friday! After much scrambling, the only room I could find was at a hostel called Fortaleza Guest House in Old San Juan. We figure it is better than sleeping in the airport.

AC Hotel just sent us a cancellation email this evening for Friday, October 27. I had just reconfirmed this reservation on Friday! After much scrambling, the only room I could find was at a hostel called Fortaleza Guest House in Old San Juan. We figure it is better than sleeping in the airport.

Thanks for the info on Fortaleza. We were getting desperate for Nov. 23-25. I just booked Fortaleza for 8 of us. It will definitely be an adventure for four couples in their 60s! Hope this works and they don’t cancel us. Please report back on your stay.

FWIW, See Puerto Rico has Holiday inn express Condado open as of yesterday. Called to confirm this but they said no reservations till Dec

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And even if you book here, I wouldn't count on them telling you if they cancel your reservation. I contacted them directly regarding our reservation and didn't get an answer until 10 days later via email. When we called in the interim, we were told our reservation was okay, but of course they cancelled on us.

Others have posted that they were not informed of their reservation being cancelled.

Thanks for the heads up jswdlw....I really appreciate this. So is that Marriott property not housing relief workers for certain?

we are booked 3 nights pre and 2 nights post cruise in SJ - we have a great TA so I will reach out to them for advise. Currently dealing with wildfire disasters in our community so this is just more than I can take on at the moment - and honestly, right now 5 nights in San Juan is not attractive at all - I think we will focus on Florida pre and post.

I have a feeling that there are a whole lot of passengers planning on staying in San Juan over the next few months that are not even aware of this situation. What a complete cluster. IMHO

This is what i was told today by another hotel. The reason for the cancellation are around the relief support individuals. These people are in the hotels and while they were suppose to leave sometime in November their stay has been extended. Some have been extended until the end of the year.

I live in Florida and just can't image not flying in the day prior to departure. I would be a complete wreck. With my luck the flight would be delayed and I would miss the ship. We had planned on spending 2 days in SJ, however with the hotel craziness that has changed. Fly in the day prior. I will check weekly on the hotel status reservation.

Mt Hyatt reservation was cancelled as well. Got a room at Condado Vanderbilt for 11/10 (2 nights). They say they're open now but full 'till 11/1.

I just tried a room at Condado Vanderbilt. It is requiring me to have 3 nights. :( :(

This is what i was told today by another hotel. The reason for the cancellation are around the relief support individuals. These people are in the hotels and while they were suppose to leave sometime in November their stay has been extended. Some have been extended until the end of the year.

I live in Florida and just can't image not flying in the day prior to departure. I would be a complete wreck. With my luck the flight would be delayed and I would miss the ship. We had planned on spending 2 days in SJ, however with the hotel craziness that has changed. Fly in the day prior. I will check weekly on the hotel status reservation.

I changed my flight to the day off because I don’t want to stress out about the hotels anymore. The relief effort is going to be a long one and they are probably going to be needing rooms for relief workers past the date of my December 3 sailing. What I have done with my flights since United had canceled my original flights so there were none to change is to book my flight to San Juan with Royal's Air to Sea so if the flight is delayed Royal will be responsible for either holding the ship or flying me to the next port.

Just got off the phone with La Concha - they were going to reopen to guests on Nov 1 but have now extended that to Dec 1

I had spoken with them a week ago and they said they were honoring current reservations (ours is for 11/23) are they cancelling reservations prior to 12/1? Or just not accepting new ones?

I had spoken with them a week ago and they said they were honoring current reservations (ours is for 11/23) are they cancelling reservations prior to 12/1? Or just not accepting new ones?

We had reservations at the AC Hotel who said the same thing and then just cancelled our reservation for 10/27. I'd book a backup somewhere.

We had a reservation at the Comfort Inn for the 27th, called today to confirm and they cancelled it due to the hotel being "not suitable". Not sure what happened since people have reported staying there with no issues last week, but if you are booked there I would definitely call.

Which Comfort Inn is this? I just called the Comfort Inn in the Condado area yesterday (10/23/17) and confirmed our reservation for November 10 through 12, 2017.

Just spoke with Hotel El Convento in Old San Juan and they DO NOT have electricity restored yet. I was told they are expecting electricity to be restored within a week to 10 days. She said to call back in a week for an update. Talked to a friend that owns a business in Old San Juan and she does not have her electricity restored either. Only businesses that have generators are open in Old San Juan.

Called Condado Vanderbuilt and they are open and honoring all booked reservations.

Called Ciqala Luxury Suites and was told if you show an "active" reservation you are good to go as of today. FEMA is using their hotel and they are calling people if they need to cancel your reservation. She recommended calling to confirm any reservation prior to arrival.

Here's an interesting new angle to the hotel saga.

It's been clear that a number of hotels in San Juan are operating, but are cancelling existing reservations and not accepting new ones because they're housing emergency workers. Makes sense.

What hasn't been clear up to this point is what about the thousands of Puerto Ricans who's homes have been damaged or destroyed.

FEMA has a program called TSA - Transitional Shelter Assistance - where FEMA will pay for hotel rooms for folks who's home has been damaged or destroyed. Hundreds, or perhaps thousands of Texans have utilized this program in and around Houston since Hurricane Harvey hit this summer - and their hotel stays have been recently extended until Nov. 7th.

But up until now, no Puerto Ricans have received hotels rooms from FEMA's TSA program...but that may be about to change.

CBS reporter David Begnaud has been on this story the last couple days. Puerto Rico's governor needs to formally request activation of the TSA program...once he does, thousands of Puerto Ricans would be eligible to apply for FEMA-paid hotel rooms...including the 3897 Puerto Ricans that remain in emergency shelters today, more than a month after Maria hit.

So if you think it's hard to find a hotel room in Puerto Rico now...just wait until thousands of locals start trying to book them too.

Here's more from David Begnaud - his reporting is a great source for the status of progress on the island: