WHY Indian Food ?

block

Please save the daggers.

What is it with the Indian food on the buffets? Our last cruise had it on the tables for lunch almost everyday. Sorry It's nasty ! We were on Carnival for 5 days. I can understand one day. But 4 out of 5 Come on! And it looks like NCL also has it on there buffet. I just can't take another cruise filled with Curry ...I hope they don't serve in morning noon and night.

Am I the only one who doesn't like it ??

Please tell me I will only see it 1 day on my next trip? (ncl-jewel)

I'm sure there is more on offer than Indian food at the buffet table..

For those of us that don't appreciate pizza's, Burgers, hot dogs and bland casseroles, stews and chicken nuggets etc..

It's a welcome change to enjoy the subtlties and flavors of spices coming together in a taste sensation!! :D

Thank goodness the cruise ships have opened up there offerings to offer more than the typical bland North American Fayre!!

WELL DONE CRUISE SHIPS ... KEEP IT UP !!

Edited by Goldeneye
Needed to add 'and'
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I'm a little stuck on NCL when they serve the indian food because there burgers suck too. What do they soak them in ???

I'm NOT joking when I tell you I was on a 5 day Carnival cruise that served the SAME indian food for 4 days during lunch....NOT joking. and it was the buffet near the pool?

i was on the dream last year and they had this indian buffet..oh my god SO good way better than the normal lunch buffet..im going on the victory in march i hope they started serving it there also! i can understand how it can take a certain palate to eat it tho, if you have never had it start out with something easy like chicken tikki masala.

• Like 1

On Carnival, on the Conquest class ships, they have a "taste of the nations" buffet, which changes daily, ie; one day mexican, next day caribbean, then italian, french etc..., as well as a section with regular buffet offerings. All of the ships, have burgers, hotdogs, fries, pizza, and some have asian, deli, and burrito stations. I think they all provide enough options for someone to find something they like.

I happen to be one of those who enjoy Indian food, as well as other ethnic foods. And I absolutely love the Indian vegetarian dinner offered the first night on Carnival. As someone else has said, it is nice to have an alternative to the regular stuff we can get at home at any buffet style restaurant. And I loved the tandoor grill on the Freedom. JMHO.:)

Edited by sparky8
  • Like 1

On Carnival, on the Conquest class ships, they have a "taste of the nations" buffet, which changes daily, ie; one day mexican, next day caribbean, then italian, french etc..., as well as a section with regular buffet offerings. All of the ships, have burgers, hotdogs, fries, pizza, and some have asian, deli, and burrito stations. I think they all provide enough options for someone to find something they like.

I happen to be one of those who enjoy Indian food, as well as other ethnic foods. And I absolutely love the Indian vegetarian dinner offered the first night on Carnival. As someone else has said, it is nice to have an alternative to the regular stuff we can get at home at any buffet style restaurant. And I loved the tandoor grill on the Freedom. JMHO.:)

Indian food allows the chef a way to provide tasty vegetarian food as well as providing something that is somewhat more "buffet stable" than most other dishes. Vegetable stews can sit on a buffet for a while and still be fresh when served.

Steve

• Like 2

It just looks sloppy....and I do like ethnic foods not just Italian (LOL)... Love thai ! I really don't like curry and indian food just seems like melted mush with curry on it.:eek: I live in NY and have all the finest ethnic food available to me..as well as indian friends...just can't eat the food...or be in a home for that long where it is being prepared.

So...There is more for you to enjoy. please just don't make me eat it 4 out 5 days:mad:

I think one of the reasons is because a lot of british people go on Carnival, and Indian food is really big there. If you notice alot of times in the morning they have beans and some kind of puff pastry meat thing. Very delicious and very british! I was on the Splendor in February, and they have a separate Indian buffet at lunch and that was it. I personally loved it, but for those who don't there where TONS of other options.

I am sorry its not your thing, but for those of us who like it, its a real treat!

• Like 3

It is correct that a lot of British cruisers love Indian food as well as many vegetarians as it is a welcome change from bland pasta every night. We sometimes order the Indian vegetarian dish as a side at dinner. I happen to despise Mexican food, but if they want to serve tacos and nachos every day on the buffet I never have a problem finding something else to eat and certainly don't go around complaining about it.

• Like 1

Please save the daggers.

What is it with the Indian food on the buffets? Our last cruise had it on the tables for lunch almost everyday. Sorry It's nasty ! We were on Carnival for 5 days. I can understand one day. But 4 out of 5 Come on! And it looks like NCL also has it on there buffet. I just can't take another cruise filled with Curry ...I hope they don't serve in morning noon and night.

Please tell me I will only see it 1 day on my next trip?

(ncl-jewel)

Just off the Jewel and although there was some Indian food in the buffet, it was a small section on one side of the station. I wouldn't classify it as "filled with curry".

What I tried was delicious.

One day in La Bistro they had a special brunch of A Taste Of India. It was a nominal fee of $15 pp and worth every penny. Delicious.

I wrote on the Dear John note paper near the Service Desk that the new ships should have a dedicated Indian Restaurant, so we disagree on this cuisine obviously.

To each his own, as I don't like Tex Mex food in any form.

Try to have a nice cruise anyway.:)

• Like 2

Please save the daggers.

I found that the Indian food was only a small offering and was at one buffet station on the Lido. There is plenty of international foods on Carnival including Pasta and other North American offerings....sandwiches too. I love travelling for that reason I am exposed to new food and cultures.

Just avoid the foods you don't like, I assume you did anyways. The world is becoming very global. In fact in the UK curry has become part of the national food identity with many Brits embracing curries, chutnies and other Indian style foods.

Edited by fredman
  • Like 2

I am also not a fan of the Indian food, and it was served on RCCL every single day for lunch and dinner (both MDR and buffet). It was easy enough to avoid, but I found it odd to be so frequently offered. Then I found out the head chef on our cruise was from India! It made sense, but this appears to be a fleet-wide occurance and also across differnet lines.

Please save the daggers.

You are not the only person who does not like Indian Food - but you may be surprised to learn that there are more than 1 BILLION people on this planet who quite like it.

If you chartered your own yacht, you could decide what you and everyone else would have to eat every day.

But when you go Mass Market, you are unfortunately going to have to put up with the Masses - and with what they like to eat as well.

• Like 3