Stay in Houston or Galveston

ce_cruise

We have cruised out of Galveston once before and we stayed in Galveston and did the touristy thing before the cruise. We are considering staying in Houston before this cruise but want to get some feedback on things to do in Houston and more importantly where to stay in Houston.

We will arrive 3 sleeps before the cruise so we do have a good amount of time. We are planning to do the space center and then we open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!

We have cruised out of Galveston once before and we stayed in Galveston and did the touristy thing before the cruise. We are considering staying in Houston before this cruise but want to get some feedback on things to do in Houston and more importantly where to stay in Houston.

We will arrive 3 sleeps before the cruise so we do have a good amount of time. We are planning to do the space center and then we open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Three sleeps as in three days? Consider visiting http://www.citypass.com/houston in order to save some money. We always stay in Houston pre-cruise.

I have stayed downtown, near NASA (which is south of Houston), and the northwest side of Houston. It depends what you want to do and how much are you willing to pay.

museum district is in Houston town and is good . Kemah and NASA are half way to Galveston . There is lot to do in Galveston . It is Destination city with many historical and tourist attractions and two convention centers and 32 miles of beach

Edited by ssb

Just stayed at Hilton for one night with no issue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not sure why this is always stated as a fact. I've stayed in Galveston many times and was never required a two night minimum and this was at several different 4 star hotels.

What night was it? I have tried last few years to do a Saturday and always got message that it required 2 night stay ( we cruise RCCL Liberty)

availability and pricing for rooms ,vacation rentals and hotels in Galveston are circumstantial , relative to supply and demand . Deals are available and change everyday. Deals change just like with the cruises lines. Do your homework . Check often with calls besides internet sites . Negotiate.

It's a destination island ! Galveston wants your visit!

Edited by ssb

What night was it? I have tried last few years to do a Saturday and always got message that it required 2 night stay ( we cruise RCCL Liberty)

A Saturday. The issue in Galveston is in Summer they don't need cruises, they have no trouble filling hotels. I don't cruise in summer though.

A Saturday. The issue in Galveston is in Summer they don't need cruises, they have no trouble filling hotels. I don't cruise in summer though.

Interesting , I tried to book Hilton last 3 years all at end of April all required 2 night stay, same goes with San Luis. I like a full service hotel with bar and restaurant and possibly music, we did get a good rate for Moody Gardens for this April which has those features, just tried Hilton again and again could not get that 1 night

Interesting , I tried to book Hilton last 3 years all at end of April all required 2 night stay, same goes with San Luis. I like a full service hotel with bar and restaurant and possibly music, we did get a good rate for Moody Gardens for this April which has those features, just tried Hilton again and again could not get that 1 night

It's spring time and there could be a convention next door at that venue. They may be asking for two nights because of demand. Would you blame them ? Glad you found Moody Gardens one night. Enjoy your stay. Eat at Shearns !

It's spring time and there could be a convention next door at that venue. They may be asking for two nights because of demand. Would you blame them ? Glad you found Moody Gardens one night. Enjoy your stay. Eat at Shearns !

Yes looking forward to dinning at Shearns, we normally eat at steak restaurant at San Luis when we stay in Galveston but this looks similar.

For our July 2nd cruise, we are coming in 2 days early and spending 1 day touring the NASA Space Center then drive in the morning of the cruise. We plan to do self disembarking and drive back to IAH to return the rental. We live in So Calif and our airport doesn't fly into Hobby and we aren't driving over 2 hours to go out of LAX and back home .More convenient for us to go to IAH and not have an additional hotel and food costs. by going to LAX

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering how Houston and Galveston is during October ? I have a sailing late in October on Liberty ... traveling w wife and 3 and 5 years old

Planning to arrive a day or two earlier if there's things to do . Where would you stay ? Which would be ideal for the kiddies? I'm concerned about places being closed late in season ? Appreciate your feedback and suggestions ( in advance )

Thanks ! =)

Just wondering how Houston and Galveston is during October ? I have a sailing late in October on Liberty ... traveling w wife and 3 and 5 years old

Planning to arrive a day or two earlier if there's things to do . Where would you stay ? Which would be ideal for the kiddies? I'm concerned about places being closed late in season ? Appreciate your feedback and suggestions ( in advance )

Thanks ! =)

Look up the Houston children's museum. We went in mid December when my kids were 4 and 6. It was jacket or sweatshirt weather. We stayed a Drury inn and suites that had an indoor pool, but we choose that hotel because of the indoor pool and pet policy. It was a so during a cross-country move. I would expect mild temperatures in October. Probably short sleeves, pants, and a jacket is plenty. Our last move, we stopped in San Antonio at the very end of September, and it was still warm enough to swim in the outdoor hotel pool.

Thanks ! =)

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Thanks ! =)

Nothing closes !

There is also Children's Venue at Moody Mansion , Moody Gardens (massive entertainment complex) and pleasure Pier ( large)over gulf , dolphin tours , candy factory , old town historical Strand , museums , old Victorian homes and many other "adult" and children tourist things to do in Galveston . It is a destination Island with 32 miles of beach . See galvestonhistory.org , galveston.com. Bishops palace and moody Mansion , 1894 grand opera house children events , lone star flight museum , railroad train museum, large sailing adventure venue, energy history and drilling rig museum , restored tall ship schooner Elissa and maritime museum with historical short films (pirate Lafitte , immigration historical port, 1900 Great storm ), JP Bryan Texas Southwestern Art and western artifacts and Texas history museum (large extensive and wonderful), port tours,

Festivals in October . Rainforest Restaurant for children. Free cruise on ferry , noaa and TAM turtle rescue farm. Artist boat events. Kayak tours on water . There are two convention centers . Galveston has second largest preservation society in US .

Galveston is on Island Time and fun place to visit.

All of this in town and very close to one another.

Edited by ssb

We are cruising in April and many hotels in Galveston are requiring 2-nights. Plus, Galveston hotels in April are quite expensive.

Totally agree many have doubled price in last few years, but keep looking we stayed at hotel by Hobby last few cruises some nice hotels about 100, this year, we are going at end of april and Moody Gardens dropped price from over 300 to 170 and I grabbed it. ( We cruise from Galveston every April and sometimes in November also)

• 6 months later...
Nothing closes !

There is also Children's Venue at Moody Mansion , Moody Gardens (massive entertainment complex) and pleasure Pier ( large)over gulf , dolphin tours , candy factory , old town historical Strand , museums , old Victorian homes and many other "adult" and children tourist things to do in Galveston . It is a destination Island with 32 miles of beach . See galvestonhistory.org , galveston.com. Bishops palace and moody Mansion , 1894 grand opera house children events , lone star flight museum , railroad train museum, large sailing adventure venue, energy history and drilling rig museum , restored tall ship schooner Elissa and maritime museum with historical short films (pirate Lafitte , immigration historical port, 1900 Great storm ), JP Bryan Texas Southwestern Art and western artifacts and Texas history museum (large extensive and wonderful), port tours,

Festivals in October . Rainforest Restaurant for children. Free cruise on ferry , noaa and TAM turtle rescue farm. Artist boat events. Kayak tours on water . There are two convention centers . Galveston has second largest preservation society in US .

Galveston is on Island Time and fun place to visit.

All of this in town and very close to one another.

Thank you ! We decided to Stay at Moody, everything is there . Looking fwd to it !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app