MyTimeDining--reservations??

flyer4fun

Hi, we are sailing on the oasis for the first time. We are scheduled for the 5:30 traditional dining but are considering switching to MTD. Online it says that we must make a reservation for MTD every evening. On other ships we just went to the main dining area and waited in line without a reservation. Is that still OK? We don't really want to be bound to a time or have to deal with making daily reservations. Any pros/cons to switching?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First rule is be weary of advice from folks that have not recently cruised on your specific ship (or at least a ship of the same class). On many lines there is no reason to make reservations for the Open Dining scheme (different names on different lines) but one should consider that there are over 6000 passengers on the Oasis Class ships and My Time Dining, without a dinner reservation, can involve waiting in a long line...which is not something that makes every passenger a happy cruiser. Personally, we like My Time (on any line) since it fits our evening lifestyle on not having a commitment. But Mega Ships present unique dining situations and one needs to keep that in mind. We would be less inclined to make a dinner reservation if dining late (after 8:15)....but if you want to dine during the prime hours from about 6-7:30) you might consider a reservation.

Hank

First rule is be weary of advice from folks that have not recently cruised on your specific ship (or at least a ship of the same class). On many lines there is no reason to make reservations for the Open Dining scheme (different names on different lines) but one should consider that there are over 6000 passengers on the Oasis Class ships and My Time Dining, without a dinner reservation, can involve waiting in a long line...which is not something that makes every passenger a happy cruiser. Personally, we like My Time (on any line) since it fits our evening lifestyle on not having a commitment. But Mega Ships present unique dining situations and one needs to keep that in mind. We would be less inclined to make a dinner reservation if dining late (after 8:15)....but if you want to dine during the prime hours from about 6-7:30) you might consider a reservation.

Hank

Thank you, that makes sense!

• 2 months later...
Hi, we are sailing on the oasis for the first time. We are scheduled for the 5:30 traditional dining but are considering switching to MTD. Online it says that we must make a reservation for MTD every evening. On other ships we just went to the main dining area and waited in line without a reservation. Is that still OK? We don't really want to be bound to a time or have to deal with making daily reservations. Any pros/cons to switching?

Also to be considered is the size of your party. My next cruise, this coming summer, we are going to be a group of 10. To make sure we have a table big enough for us I made reservations

• 2 months later...

We were just on Oasis in December and used My time Dining. We did make reservations and I'm glad that we did. After you make your entertainment reservations, decide what time you want to eat and make reservations for dinner. You'll be glad you did. There was quite a waiting line when we left after our meal. Plus, be sure to make entertainment reservations. And go on time. I got the time wrong for one of our reservations and ended up standing in the back because there were no seats left. There are a lot of people on that ship.