scuba vs. snorkel

80/80 Girl

We are going on the 10 day on 10/18. We have not dove in 10 years. We cannot decide if we should dive or not.

Of course we would take the refresher course and stick with the beginning dives.

Both are bit skittish since it has been 10 years and for me I sometimes can have issues clearing my ears. But willing to overcome those feelings since this is a trip of a lifetime.

On the other hand the water seems so clear that by doing the beginning dives is the experience going to be any different than snorkeling? If not then maybe we should just stick to snorkeling.

We are indifferent and would like any feedback to help our decision making. ;) Especially since I am booking our tours so late. :D

Thanks everyone!

We've been on the PG 5 times and usually dive. The best diving will be in the Tuamotus but you really need to have decent experience as these are usually fast drift dives. Since you have not been diving for 10 years I would not recommend diving on those two islands. On both Moorea and Bora Bora the diving is easy. I prefer Moorea as you usually will see sharks and turtles during your dive.

If you have the time and $$ to refresh prior to your cruise then I would suggest one dive in Moorea. I would not loose a day by refreshing on the ship.

The snorkeling in most areas is spectacular. On Bora Bora consider booking privately with Pure Snorkeling by Reef Discovery.

We've been on the PG 5 times and usually dive. The best diving will be in the Tuamotus but you really need to have decent experience as these are usually fast drift dives. Since you have not been diving for 10 years I would not recommend diving on those two islands. On both Moorea and Bora Bora the diving is easy. I prefer Moorea as you usually will see sharks and turtles during your dive.

If you have the time and $$ to refresh prior to your cruise then I would suggest one dive in Moorea. I would not loose a day by refreshing on the ship.

The snorkeling in most areas is spectacular. On Bora Bora consider booking privately with Pure Snorkeling by Reef Discovery.

Thank you so much for the response! Exactly what I needed especially about the fast drift and also losing a day.

I was concerned about losing the day for refreshing and of course now have run out of time to refresh locally.

I am definitely leaning towards just snorkeling and will look into Pure Snorkeling.

Fun side note: last time we refreshed our diving for a cruise, we were stationed in Key West and used the pool at the Army's special forces underwater operations school. That tall building is 50-foot free ascent dive tower and can also simulate getting in/out of sub.original.jpg. Before we were stationed there I never knew Army did anything in the water.

Very cool. Snorkeling in the Tuamotus is also spectacular. On the PG motu in Taha'a the snorkeling is not great but the motu is out of this world. Full day with lounge chairs, barbecue, drinks, crystal clear water, tons of sea cucumbers to navigate around, etc. I usually would not do any excursion that day as I prefer to get the first tender to the motu and hang out all day. This past July our "special" reunion cruise had 2 separate days on the motu. This was the first time we did an excursion on Taha'a and while it was pretty good we did not get back to the motu until almost 1:00 pm. For a new cruiser I would not want to lose that time on the motu.

Very cool. Snorkeling in the Tuamotus is also spectacular. On the PG motu in Taha'a the snorkeling is not great but the motu is out of this world. Full day with lounge chairs, barbecue, drinks, crystal clear water, tons of sea cucumbers to navigate around, etc. I usually would not do any excursion that day as I prefer to get the first tender to the motu and hang out all day. This past July our "special" reunion cruise had 2 separate days on the motu. This was the first time we did an excursion on Taha'a and while it was pretty good we did not get back to the motu until almost 1:00 pm. For a new cruiser I would not want to lose that time on the motu.

Thanks for that info. Many have said do not miss the drift snorkel on Taha'a because it is incredible. However, now with your input I think hubby would be happy with a no excursion day and just relax.

I am really looking forward to kayaking and getting drinks from the floating bar. :D I think that bartendar is going to be my favorite guy. Will I have to fight for a kayak (hence maybe getting there early) or are there plenty of kayaks to use?

The refresher course takes a couple of hours; not a whole day. I believe it is in the afternoon with plenty of time to take an excursion in the am (Huahine), have lunch and refresh. You will be looked after by the PG marina staff so also recommend sticking to their dives rather than outside operator. After refresh, recommend taking the BoraBora Toopua dive, easy dive, inside the reef, still lots to see, kind of an aquarium, really. If you like it/feel comfortable then could take Tapu the next day. Very good dive outside the reef, large napolean wrasse, turtles, large lemon sharks, etc. Any of the dives on Moorea also good, all located in close proximity to the others, sharks and turtles. Good strategy to sign up in advance for all dives, you may always cancel later (not sure as to exact policy now, used to be 24 hours)

Although the information both of you provided (Flightmedic555 and Sita) made us more comfortable to choose diving, we have decided to snorkel and play it safe.

Thank you both for your insight. I really appreciate your responses.

They bring about 4 kayaks to the motu and they seem to be available very, very frequently. Most people seem to use them for only about 30 minutes - 1 hour.

Thanks! That is good to know as it doesn't seem like many kayaks. We'll be mindful and not hog them. :D Or we'll just stand around the floating bar all day.