Soot issue in aft cabins on Regal Princess

Fletch1

We were on the Regal in September on a transatlantic in B734 for 14 days. It is a aft suite. We did encounter the soot issue once we got warmer weather. In Europe when it was cooler, no issue but once we got to the states and the warmer weather there was shoot buildup on the balcony

A little bit of soot is definitely worth dealing with to have that fantastic view of the wake and the soothing sounds of the water. We have booked these aft cabins in the past and look forward to another on the Regal for our TA in April.

eclue:)

We booked an aft on Regal and found the soot to be very exaggerated. We had some minor issues which the steward took care of very promptly. Anytime you have ship with cabin decks that are stair stepped, you will have the potential for soot. Whether soot is an issue is dependent upon a complex set of issues including temperature, humidity, etc. The biggest issue will be the wind direction and speed relative to the ship's direction and speed. A wind blowing across the ships course will blow the soot to the side. A wind blowing against the direction of ships travel will blow the soot far astern. A wind blowing in the same direction and at the same speed of the ship will allow a large amount of soot.

BTW, next time you're on a ship, find a place where you can see a long way aft from the ship. Preferably with the ship sailing into the sun. On almost every ship you will see a plume of smoke trailing a stern. Depending upon the factors i mentioned, the plume will trail to one side, contact the surface far astern or just off the stern. While the smoke isn't exactly the same as soot, it does demonstrate the factors involved.

My mom just got off the Regal after a 7 day New England trip and said the soot problem on the aft Carib deck was terrible. Every morning it was unusable until the steward cleaned it.

I was quite surprised as I had heard the problem was fixed.

My mom just got off the Regal after a 7 day New England trip and said the soot problem on the aft Carib deck was terrible. Every morning it was unusable until the steward cleaned it.

I was quite surprised as I had heard the problem was fixed.

That's very interesting and I am glad you posted as I chose a Deluxe Balcony on the starboard side, so I am glad I did that.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Not the Regal but the Royal had big cobs of soot on the aft deck most mornings, some the size of a small peace of popcorn. All the tables had brown stains on them, the tops of the balcony dividers were all stained too

• 1 month later...

We were on the Majestic in an Aft cabin B739 (partially covered), in the Mediterranean, and found the soot issue very minimal, and when there was some the Stewart cleaned it, it just looked like a bit of dirt. We have book an Aft cabin on the the a Royal and later on the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums