Royal in Port Everglades

NoWhiners

Hi all

We are taking a cruise on the Royal next April out of PE. I have read that she uses Terminal 2 and that this area is outside security. This seems a bit odd but it is near the Broward Convention center, so maybe it's tru.

Can anyone verify that this terminal is outside the security checkpoint? Not a huge deal but I want to know for our cab ride from hotel to port--have had too many drivers try to trick us by taking the long way around or other devious routes (which I now address by telling them I know where we are going and they won't get a tip if they screw with us) :D

Thanks

ML

Hi all

We are taking a cruise on the Royal next April out of PE. I have read that she uses Terminal 2 and that this area is outside security. This seems a bit odd but it is near the Broward Convention center, so maybe it's tru.

Can anyone verify that this terminal is outside the security checkpoint? Not a huge deal but I want to know for our cab ride from hotel to port--have had too many drivers try to trick us by taking the long way around or other devious routes (which I now address by telling them I know where we are going and they won't get a tip if they screw with us) :D

Thanks

ML

Terminal 2 is definitely inside the security perimeter. They just moved the guards gate a little so that people could have access to the Broward Convention center.

If you walk outside to go shopping you'll need a government issued ID to get back in.

Terminal 2 is definitely inside the security perimeter. They just moved the guards gate a little so that people could have access to the Broward Convention center.

If you walk outside to go shopping you'll need a government issued ID to get back in.

Thanks, just as I suspected, but good to be prepared. I wonder why another poster said it was outside security?

ML

Have not had any problem with FLL taxi drivers. We also ask hotel front desk the approximate taxi fare to PE terminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, TBH, we only had trouble with one and we do know the fare. Just helps to be prepared. I have read some horror stories on these boards about people being taken for a ride (sorry, couldn't resist the pun :) ).

I remember one in particular where the driver told pax they owed him $25 or something (for the short drive from hotel close to port) and they gave him $20. When the driver objected and said he would call a cop, they said fine. Cab driver took the $20 and left, no cop. So, it can happen.

ML

Hi all

Thanks

ML

I would use UBER as it’s a flat fee nomatter where they drive. I haven’t used a taxi in years because UBER is a better deal price-wise in my opinion.

Tom😎

To gently disagree -- the convention center, the northport garage, and terminal 2 are outside

the security perimiter. I was just there for coral a few days ago.

The security checkpoint has mode south on eisenhower. It is right in from of terminal 4.

This map shows the location of the checkpoint on eisenhower blvdhttps://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Facilties_Map_UPDATED_August_5_2016_967fef41-99cb-400e-a99b-a0bbb8b935be.pdf

To gently disagree -- the convention center, the northport garage, and terminal 2 are outside

the security perimiter. I was just there for coral a few days ago.

The security checkpoint has mode south on eisenhower. It is right in from of terminal 4.

This map shows the location of the checkpoint on eisenhower blvdhttps://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Facilties_Map_UPDATED_August_5_2016_967fef41-99cb-400e-a99b-a0bbb8b935be.pdf

You may be correct but if Terminal 2 is outside the security perimeter then I shouldn't need any documentation to get there, which isn't the case. I once forgot my government id although I had my cruise card & had a heck of a time convincing them to let me back in. The map also shows a separate entrance to the convention center outside the security perimeter.

Hi all

Thanks

ML

Have never experienced the cab trickery you mention. If your hotel is on SE 17th St. (one of the best pre-cruise locations) the cab ride is 5 mins and is the minimum fare, was $10, to any pier at the port. If your hotel is near the airport cabs go directly into the port then over to pier 2. From a driver's standpoint mid-port piers and north port piers (piers 2 & 4), are just mins. apart. If you are staying somewhere else, cab drivers know the way.

While Princess normally uses piers 2 & 4 at times they are at the mid port piers. Pier assignments are posted on the Port Everglades web site 7 days before.

We once had a cab driver go a couple of miles too far and have to turn around when we were staying at a boutique hotel near the beach after a cruise. I noted the fare on the meter when I told him he should have turned and gave him that amount, not the extra that showed up on the meter afterward.

I would use UBER as it’s a flat fee nomatter where they drive. I haven’t used a taxi in years because UBER is a better deal price-wise in my opinion.

Tom😎

I thought Uber wasn't allowed into the port? Has it always been allowed? I could have sworn I read somewhere on CC that they couldn't get into the port? Or maybe that was FLL?

Have never experienced the cab trickery you mention. If your hotel is on SE 17th St. (one of the best pre-cruise locations) the cab ride is 5 mins and is the minimum fare, was $10, to any pier at the port. If your hotel is near the airport cabs go directly into the port then over to pier 2. From a driver's standpoint mid-port piers and north port piers (piers 2 & 4), are just mins. apart. If you are staying somewhere else, cab drivers know the way.

While Princess normally uses piers 2 & 4 at times they are at the mid port piers. Pier assignments are posted on the Port Everglades web site 7 days before.

It's great that was your experience but others haven't had the same luck, as you can see just from this thread. And I have been there many times so I understand the relationship of hotel distance to port and cab costs. And where to find terminal assignments.

We are currently on the Royal ta, if we hear anything towards the end of the cruise regarding late disembarkation I will post it in this thread

I would love to hear your experience with this (and which terminal you disembark at). My question is about the location of the security checkpoint relative to Terminal 2, but it sounds like you boarded outside the US?

You may be correct but if Terminal 2 is outside the security perimeter then I shouldn't need any documentation to get there, which isn't the case.

You don't need anything.

This changed just before the 2016 Boat show. (Maybe 2015?)

Have a look the next time you are in Ft. Lauderdale.

This map shows the current location of the security checkpoint -- between terminal 2 and terminal 4.

https://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Facilties_Map_UPDATED_August_5_2016_967fef41-99cb-400e-a99b-a0bbb8b935be.pdf

You don't need anything.

This changed just before the 2016 Boat show. (Maybe 2015?)

Have a look the next time you are in Ft. Lauderdale.

This map shows the current location of the security checkpoint -- between terminal 2 and terminal 4.

https://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Facilties_Map_UPDATED_August_5_2016_967fef41-99cb-400e-a99b-a0bbb8b935be.pdf

Pablo

This is very helpful for many reasons, thanks.

Is the red line just the perimeter/border of the port area or is this a fence?

Thx

ML

Hi all

Can anyone verify that this terminal is outside the security checkpoint?

Depends on your definition of security.

When you arrive in a vehicle, you need to show ID to a guard at a checkpoint. We just hold up our passports and without closely looking at them, the guard waves the cab on. (The last time we sailed from Fort Lauderdale was two years ago, so it may have changed since then.)

But the real security checkpoint is within the cruise terminal itself where you go through a metal detector and your hand luggage is x-rayed, just like at the airport. (Your checked luggage is also x-rayed, just like at the airport, but not where you can see it happening.)

Pablo

This is very helpful for many reasons, thanks.

Folks should have a look at this thread from 2015, just after the security change

occured:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2293836

This (current) thread shows the beauty of cruise critic.

Nothing is ever new. Factual yes/no questions have more than one answer.

I didn't think they even care about ID (ID's will be vetted to get on a ship). I thought what they look for is a current boarding pass for a departing cruise. (We are shuttled in by rental car company most of the time, so they get waved in with their ID).

You may be correct but if Terminal 2 is outside the security perimeter then I shouldn't need any documentation to get there, which isn't the case. I once forgot my government id although I had my cruise card & had a heck of a time convincing them to let me back in. The map also shows a separate entrance to the convention center outside the security perimeter.

It all depends on which entrance you use to go to Terminal 2. If you go via the entrance that is on 17th, then you no longer go through security. The security is past the entrance to the convention center and Terminal 2 which share the same parking garage.

If you come via the other 2 entrances to Port Everglades, then you still go through the security booths and need to show that you are cruising and show ID.

It all depends on which entrance you use to go to Terminal 2. If you go via the entrance that is on 17th, then you no longer go through security. The security is past the entrance to the convention center and Terminal 2 which share the same parking garage.

I could have sworn that you had to go past the security check point before arriving the entrance to term 2/4. (and that was back in Feb after they relocated the checkpoint.)

Old age is getting to me. ;)

I would love to hear your experience with this (and which terminal you disembark at). My question is about the location of the security checkpoint relative to Terminal 2, but it sounds like you boarded outside the US?

To get to terminal 2 you turn off of Eisenhower Blvd onto SE 20th St. The street goes right to the terminal drop off area. When we were there we just walked out and in right up SE 20th St with no security check point to go through. It is the same for cars. The terminal is only a few hundred yards from Eisenhower Blvd.

If you are coming from the airport the route is straight east on I595 and directly into Port Everglades. There is a checkpoint on that road. Once inside the port you have to get onto Eisenhower Blvd to go over to Pier two. It is a couple min. drive.

If your ship is the only Princess ship in port that day it will almost certainly be at pier two. But, if there are other Princess ships in port it could be at a mid port pier.