P&O - smallish 5% overall discounts apart, do prices vary between travel agents?

Harry Peterson

It's always seemed to me (I may well be wrong on this) that the various travel agents selling P&O cruises all sell a given stateroom/suite on a given date at the same price - the same price, in fact, that P&O would sell it to you at.

You may be able to negotiate a smallish discount, maybe around 5%, but apart from that the prices are the same.

Or am I completely wrong? Does the price vary (small overall discount apart) from agent to agent, or do they all sell at the same price?

It's always seemed to me (I may well be wrong on this) that the various travel agents selling P&O cruises all sell a given stateroom/suite on a given date at the same price - the same price, in fact, that P&O would sell it to you at.

You may be able to negotiate a smallish discount, maybe around 5%, but apart from that the prices are the same.

Or am I completely wrong? Does the price vary (small overall discount apart) from agent to agent, or do they all sell at the same price?

Correct.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

This is the reason that we bok direct with P&O. I think that adding a TA just adds an additional layer of admin and so increases the chance of something going wrong. I know that I am control freak and I don't think that 5% is worth losing control of our booking for.

We prefer to use a TA mainly because we always book with same agent and she handles all our queries and problems very professionally, and she can deal with all cruise lines.

If you only ever cruise with P&O then possibly you could build up the same relationship with an individual, but then if yo do want to try another cruise line you need to start afresh.

This is the reason that we bok direct with P&O. I think that adding a TA just adds an additional layer of admin and so increases the chance of something going wrong. I know that I am control freak and I don't think that 5% is worth losing control of our booking for.

Funnily enough, it wasn't the discount that persuaded me not to book direct with P&O - it was experience of dealing with P&O that did it. I found them utterly hopeless to deal with in every possible way, and on occasion actually obstructive. Having said that, a couple of hundred pounds off the price by using an agent is worth having, and you can still see the actual booking with P&O via the Cruise Personaliser, so you know exactly what's happening. You lose no control - actually you get more control.

I'm just looking at booking a cruise for next year. I know which ship & when I want to go. I've seen the price on the P&O web & I'm getting a price from travel agent (s).

But I'll hold on a bit before booking as all big holiday companies and agents tend to have bonus offers ie extra on board credit or discount price near 'black Friday' and Xmas. Any additional OBC I think is a discount in price.

I'm just looking at booking a cruise for next year. I know which ship & when I want to go. I've seen the price on the P&O web & I'm getting a price from travel agent (s).

But I'll hold on a bit before booking as all big holiday companies and agents tend to have bonus offers ie extra on board credit or discount price near 'black Friday' and Xmas. Any additional OBC I think is a discount in price.

All cruise lines have periodic deals, but the liklihood is that any OBC will be outweighed by the increased price from the previous deal.

We have to book on launch, which is almost 2 years ahead, in order to ensure we can book an accessible cabin, over the last 5 years we have never seen a price for the equivalent cabin grade any lower than our launch deal.

So book on launch of new brochure for the best price.

For anyone who does want to book direct, don’t forget the 4% cashback you can get by visiting P&Os website after clicking through theirs. You the n go on to make your booking wholly on P&Os site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We now always go through a travel agent that gives us the best deal including before and after hotel stays, private transfers and scheduled airlines. However I must admit that that can be difficult with P&O which is why we go with a variety of cruise lines.

Peter and Jenny

For anyone who does want to book direct, don’t forget the 4% cashback you can get by visiting P&Os website after clicking through theirs. You the n go on to make your booking wholly on P&Os site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topcashback? Worth doing if you prefer to book direct but it's by no means guaranteed to pay out and you can get 5% fairly easily from an agent.

I would always use my agent. He is absolutely fantastic at getting the cabin we want. We always get 5% discount from him plus all our other discounts. He is always there if there's a problem. Why would I go without 5%? There is no lack of control in going to an agent, in fact I have been told by some who go direct that they don't always get the choice of ALL the cabins, certainly you don't see all the availability on the P&O website.

Jean is right, the TAs sometimes let you see more and offer more, not just the percentage discount.

For example the P&O site may be offering a balcony guarantee and that is it, take or leave it and no choice re the grade of balcony. On the very same day the travel agent (well known high st brand) will offer a standard balcony or the choice of a deluxe balcony guarantee for almost the same price. This must be done with P&Os blessing and is a way to sell off the better guarantee cabins without P&O admitting on their own site that they have loads and loads left and annoying select bookers if they happen to see the prices being offered late in the day.

I've always booked directly with P&O and have always got whatever I wanted. I have no idea if I'm paying more than I would through a travel agent but I book the select price and as I say have always got the exact cabins I wanted.

If one has not booked far in advance, it can be worth calculating the "90 day" date, when full payment has to be made. I am sure a percentage of "depositors" always cancel leaving PO to offer discounted fares.49 cruises 20 ships 5 lines

For people booking late there can be deals to be had with some of the cruise 'bucket shops'.

As has been mentioned, P&O will sell the cruise through these companies cheaper than their own site. Also for fly cruises these companies use low cost airlines which can turn out cheaper than the P&O flight.

I have booked my last 10 cruises with the same agent and he is great

I am happy with the prices I am getting

I am always very pleased with the service - and though I get discounts from him I am not going to waste my time chasing round to get a slightly lower cost

My last Adonia cruise was a week in July booked as an extra because I saw a deal on a rival agents mailing. Though my agent's price was actually £20 more pp than the ad I had seen he price matched it. I told him to leave it as I wasn't worried about such a small difference and I value his service - but he insisted

I wouldn't book direct - can take ages to get through and can't always speak at a time that suits. My agent is nearly always available weekends and evenings. He always calls before we go on holiday to check all ok, and calls when we are back as well. Great service

Interesting comments - thanks. I've never found a price offered by any agent that hasn't also been available at exactly the same price on the P&O website (and from all the other agents) - but what you don't get from P&O is the 5% (ish) discount that an agent will give you. I've also found the service given by agents infinitely better than the service you get from P&O itself.

I have booked my last 10 cruises with the same agent and he is great

I am happy with the prices I am getting

I am always very pleased with the service - and though I get discounts from him I am not going to waste my time chasing round to get a slightly lower cost

My last Adonia cruise was a week in July booked as an extra because I saw a deal on a rival agents mailing. Though my agent's price was actually £20 more pp than the ad I had seen he price matched it. I told him to leave it as I wasn't worried about such a small difference and I value his service - but he insisted

I wouldn't book direct - can take ages to get through and can't always speak at a time that suits. My agent is nearly always available weekends and evenings. He always calls before we go on holiday to check all ok, and calls when we are back as well. Great service

For once we are in full agreement a good TA is by far the best option for booking cruises. Worth his/her weight in gold.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For once we are in full agreement a good TA is by far the best option for booking cruises. Worth his/her weight in gold.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They do seem to shine for those of us who need to book on launch, and want to specify which cabin(s) we need or want. I simply don't understand why P&O don't offer this service as well, although my TA says they get about an hours access to the booking system before P&O do, so presumably all the prime cabins have gone before they start the booking procedure.

Had to smile at this as I am exactly the same, Josy, especially where my holiday bookings are concerned. :D

I'm not sure what control I am losing by booking with a TA, and if there is any loss of control, the £250 I am saving by going through a TA [our next cruise is £5000] more than makes up for it.

I have just booked a cruise out of Southampton on Ventura direct with P&O. The price was less than agents are charging and the lady I booked with was very pleasant and helpful.

I think you need to look more carefully at the sort of agents you are checking for prices. I have never seen any TA price higher than P&O quote, and if you want a discount you do need to request one, no TA is going to volunteer to reduce his profit without a negotiation.