Royal Caribbean Cruising Hints and Tips Required

This is our first trip on RCI ship...Explorer of the Seas..Dec 24-Jan 4th, so would appreciate any hints and tips with regards to how this cruise line works. Just the two of us. We booked only few days ago and have been assigned late time dining and just wondered how likely would be to get onto My Time as assume early will be busy with families on this sailing. Can I try and swop once on board or is that a no-no?

What are the "paid" restaurants like? Which would you suggest I try? Saw something about a dining package but then couldn't find any further info.

Not having sailed on a ship with this number of passengers or extra activities that require pre-booking not sure how to go about it or if I need to. Is it cheaper pre-cruise? As it's school/festive holiday season does this make a difference?

Other than that this is also our first visit to Fiji so any hints on tours etc would be great. How easy is it to DIY once ashore or does the over three thousand people make it more difficult to "wing" it?

Did try searching the forum but not very successful.

Sure I'll think of other things in the coming days but if any of you helpful and knowledgeable people could respond I'd be most grateful.

Edited by sagittarius

Other than that this is also our first visit to Fiji so any hints on tours etc would be great. How easy is it to DIY once ashore or does the over three thousand people make it more difficult to "wing" it?

You are visiting Lautoka and Suva in Fiji. My suggestion is to get out of town as both places are not very attractive commercial towns and pretty much a waste of time as far as tourism is concerned.

From Lautoka, the best option is to get a day trip out to an island. This is a little tricky to arrange as the cruises normally go out from Port Denaru, not Lautoka, so the only option usually available is a ship excursion. Trips out to the the orchid garden and other places on land can usually be booked on the wharf.

Suva has even fewer options. I don't recall any island trips from there although that was a while back.

This is our first trip on RCI ship...Explorer of the Seas..Dec 24-Jan 4th, so would appreciate any hints and tips with regards to how this cruise line works. Just the two of us. We booked only few days ago and have been assigned late time dining and just wondered how likely would be to get onto My Time as assume early will be busy with families on this sailing. Can I try and swop once on board or is that a no-no?

What are the "paid" restaurants like? Which would you suggest I try? Saw something about a dining package but then couldn't find any further info.

Not having sailed on a ship with this number of passengers or extra activities that require pre-booking not sure how to go about it or if I need to. Is it cheaper pre-cruise? As it's school/festive holiday season does this make a difference?

Sure I'll think of other things in the coming days but if any of you helpful and knowledgeable people could respond I'd be most grateful.��

Use your Cruise planner under Dining to try for MTD they may put you on a wait list if booked out .Having done 28 ea days on Voyager I can recommend Izumi and Chops as enjoyable.Explorer is a sister ship to Voyager

I was on Explorer to New Zealand over Christmas and New Years, and it's great fun. My personal preference is the late dinner seating, because I don't like to have to rush back from port to get ready for dinner. As far as families are concerned, yes there are heaps of kids on these cruises, but the younger families tended to go to the early dinner.

I would highly recommend getting a dinner package. May as well get it on board on day 1. There will be crew selling these packages in the windjammer when you board. Chops Grille and the Italian restaurant were amazing.

Pre booking excursions will not be cheaper. Wait until you are on board, but most South Pacific itineraries that I have seen are really easy to DIY excursions. I would suggest you get up really early on the day the ship tenders to get a ticket, unless you are happy to wait until much later in the morning to get a tender to shore.

Can't comment for Fiji as I have only ever been there on a land holiday, but as for other places in the South Pacific, very easy to DIY.

Enjoy your cruise.

I make some comments below in your post in red.

Enjoy your cruise - I'm sure you'll love Explorer OTS.

I suggest you try & change to MTD now, particularly if you want to eat earlier than 8:30. MTD is our preferred choice, and it seems becoming so for many. You may not be able to change on-board. If you booked direct call RC, if you booked thru TA, call them.

Can't comment as have never done 'specialty' dining - we have always found the dining room food fine for us. We normally have b/fast & lunch in Wnidjammer & MTD dinner.

Maybe 3,500 passengers, but it's a big ship. There will be crowds at certain places/times, but it is fine. Pre-booking for activities/entertainment is not required/available on this ship. There is likely to be a lot of kids on this cruise, but you can get away from them if you want to.

If there is something you really want to do in Fiji, maybe book these ahead, either thru the ship offerings, or on-line with the many providers. That said, we found that there are always operators available on the day if that works for you.

Sure I'll think of other things in the coming days but if any of you helpful and knowledgeable people could respond I'd be most grateful.��

Make sure you see the ice show - it is spectacular. It's free and you will get instructions for you session to attend on-board.

Thanks to all those who replied:

@sinbad...as this may be my only trip to Fiji thanks for suggesting I try an island trip so may have to pay Cruise line prices.

@DT1304. Is the dining package only sold on board as can't seem to find it online, wondered if not available as there is big price jump for the paid restaurants for Xmas day/new year. As we booked a few days ago we were only offered late seating although we are waitlisted for My Time. Did the dining room do a "traditional Xmas meal"?

@mr walker thanks for the comments..we are waitlisted for MTD but it is what it is.. we may prebook tours even tho we're not all that keen on cruise ship tours. Definitely want to see the ice show! And for some reason my hubby wants to try the rock climbing wall!

Does anyone know cost of "specialty" coffee as wondering if the coffee card is value for money.

Thanks all.

Another quick question: re Internet....on cruise planner there are options for one to multiple devices priced per day but needs to be bought for every day..is there a timed package e.g 100 minutes for $xxxx cost? Not sure what everyday just enough to post Merry Christmas etc.

No timed packages for internet. You have to buy for everyday, although you can of course buy it on day 2 of the cruise and pay pro-rata prices.

Not sure about your cruise, but we are cruising on Voyager in January and prices are in our cruise planner for dining packages. You can buy First night done right package, combination drink/dining package and discounted

packages for 3,4 or 5 nights of speciality dining.

I would definitely recommend both Chops and Giovannis. I have also done both the Mystery Dinner and Chefs Table. Both are excellent (and both include unlimited wine if you are drinkers).

From memory, I think the speciality coffees were around $4.50 - $5

Love Explorer but again not much help with specialty dining as we found MDR food is exquisite.

Booking tours either to islands or around these towns is easy as the dock in both ports are lined with tour operators.

Consider a bus trip to one of the resorts where you can laze around or use the water equipment for a small fee.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

@jaspar15. Thanks for info about internet. Can't find dining package in cruise planner which I imagine is because of Xmas/New Year timing and price increase in paid venues for holiday nights.

@banzai....thanks for response and we normally use MDR but cos of our late booking we had no choice but late fixed times and 8.30pm is later than my body expects to eat. We'll see how it goes.

If you are going to try speciality dining Azumis seems to get the most rave reviews from our fellow Royal fans. The steak and Italian do too but are less unusual I guess? I know its not fine dining but Johnny rockets do great all you can eat burgers and things for $7 US or so...great for lunch and the waiters are awesome.

Also Royal's royal promenade is wonderful and great for chilling out and the parties they do there in the evening. Also make sure you look for when tickets for the ice show become available as these are free and go fast as its great. We got ours on the first day for a show on the 4th evening.

Not usually on this forum but everyone has been so helpful here I thought I would add! :)

The specialty restaurants are all pretty solid examples of what would be mid-priced restaurants on land. For me Giovani's was the best and I'm not a fan of Italian food - on land I never go to such an establishment. My view is that the fillet steak at Giovani's is better than the one at Chops (in terms of execution - I am sure it's the same cut at both restaurants). The sushi in Izumi is not great against the standard of a good land restaurant in AU/NZ because they use frozen product - sushi made with defrosted salmon roe is just not that great really. The sides at Chops were never beyond warm for us but the overall meals were good. The murder-mystery dinner menu is the chops dinner menu essentially and the show is not really worth it.

We eat in a speciality restaurant every night and of late there have been packages available for the whole cruise and the price is very reasonable on this basis.

This ship has freestyle coke machines that create drinks in around one hundred flavours. If soda and similar are your thing then the daily soda package on this ship is worthwhile.

The ice show is very good - I think you need to book for this in most cases (we didn't since we were in a suite).

It's nice ship and I expect you'll enjoy yourselves.

re internet on board ships....expensive and very slow

option - have an internet free cruise (gasp!!) or find free internet whilst in port (which is what we do...leading to a very reduced internet cruise...lol)

The ice show is very good - I think you need to book for this in most cases (we didn't since we were in a suite).

It's nice ship and I expect you'll enjoy yourselves.

You don't need to book for the ice show but you do need to watch out for your turn.

In saying that, it is essential viewing. Just make sure you get there nice and early to get good seats as some cruisers brag that they have attended 2 or 3 times while those who do the right thing and wait for their allocated session are left standing at the back - it is that good.

@MrYellowDuck thanks for the info on the paid eateries. May give the sushi place a miss as where we live, due to number of Japanese who live in the area, really good sushi, sashimi and more are to be found! And so we've been spoilt.

@whimsey no problem doing internet free cruise in the past but having young grandchildren would have been nice to connect on Christmas Day, even if only to share photos etc. We'll see the photos etc when we get back...they live in far north WA so we're used to that. Maybe there will be WiFi in Noumea or even Fiji, not hopeful re Lifou. But thinking about it definitely in Noumea as sure the crew will all be heading off to do the same, connect with family back home.

@banzai will look out for ice show slot and take note that we need to arrive early. I am in awe of skaters so really want to see the show. Didn't think one could get in more than once unless allocated passengers didn't arrive. Thanks for the tip.

Got allocated our cabin today and it's as expected, very humble but it's ours for the trip.

Thanks to all who have replied and if anyone thinks of info please post.

Re the ice show.

On the bigger (or fuller?) ships worldwide ice show tickets are given out a day or more beforehand if the staff think its right for the passenger demographic (ie lots of kids or lots of demand at guest services)so look on your daily compass to see if there is a 'getting a ticket time'. If not, then you know it will be a turn up sort of thing.

It depends on the sailing as to what happens with the tickets.

Sorry, been offline for a couple of days

Thanks to all those who replied:

@DT1304. Is the dining package only sold on board as can't seem to find it online, wondered if not available as there is big price jump for the paid restaurants for Xmas day/new year. As we booked a few days ago we were only offered late seating although we are waitlisted for My Time. Did the dining room do a "traditional Xmas meal"?

There was a traditional meal in the MDR. We loved the MDR and chose to eat there exclusively on my first 2 cruises. We tried speciality restaurants on our third cruise, and now buy a package. We always just buy it on board on day 1 when you go to the windjammer for lunch. They will be selling the packages outside the windjammer and also there will be waiters selling the dining packages and drinks packages.

It's strange that you cant book them online as they show up on my booking on Radiance.:confused: After you have bought the package, you can just call through to make a reservation, but it fills up pretty fast.

I am a lover of a great steak, and chops delivers. But I think Giovannis was my favourite meal. Izumi was not my taste, but I dont eat that food, but my family loved it. I bought the package with 3 dinners and a lunch, and they used the lunch at Izumis.

@MrYellowDuck thanks for the info on the paid eateries. May give the sushi place a miss as where we live, due to number of Japanese who live in the area, really good sushi, sashimi and more are to be found! And so we've been spoilt.

@whimsey no problem doing internet free cruise in the past but having young grandchildren would have been nice to connect on Christmas Day, even if only to share photos etc. We'll see the photos etc when we get back...they live in far north WA so we're used to that. Maybe there will be WiFi in Noumea or even Fiji, not hopeful re Lifou. But thinking about it definitely in Noumea as sure the crew will all be heading off to do the same, connect with family back home.

@banzai will look out for ice show slot and take note that we need to arrive early. I am in awe of skaters so really want to see the show. Didn't think one could get in more than once unless allocated passengers didn't arrive. Thanks for the tip.

Got allocated our cabin today and it's as expected, very humble but it's ours for the trip.

Thanks to all who have replied and if anyone thinks of info please post.

Firstly the Coffee Card is good value, saving you $1.20 a cup approx. Secondly I also dismissed Izumi a few cruises ago on the Radiance as just a sushi place. My mistake ,the Hot Rock cooking at your table experience is really superb. We now dine at least once but normally at Izumi.Hope your MTD comes through and enjoy your cruise

Firstly the Coffee Card is good value, saving you $1.20 a cup approx. Secondly I also dismissed Izumi a few cruises ago on the Radiance as just a sushi place. My mistake ,the Hot Rock cooking at your table experience is really superb. We now dine at least once but normally at Izumi.Hope your MTD comes through and enjoy your cruise

Sorry Gremlins , read as normally twiceclear.png?emoji-cool-1690

Love all of the specialty restaurants. If you are dining at Chops make sure you try the warm goats cheese salad, truly delicious. At Izumis our faves are the tuna carpaccio, albacore and the last specialty roll, sorry cant remember what it is called, but staff will recommend. Giovanni’s, anything and everything. You should have no trouble changing to MTD while you are on board, we have never had a problem changing. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Re the ice skating shows, we were on Voyager earlier this year and attendance was based on your muster station. So in the daily Cruise Compass the day of each show, the list of muster stations was listed. so over two days with I think possibly two shows per day all muster stations had a chance to attend the ice show. On our cruise, there were two different shows so we had the opportunity to attend twice.

Leigh

@beatleman thanks for info on coffee places, will probably get a card as sure between the 2 of us we'll use it all.

@KAYTWO thanks for info on paid venues and hopefully we'll get changed to MTD, will ask when we get on if needs be although based on our cabin location we might be last on.

@possum52 the ice show ticketing you describe seems reasonable and most efficient way to cope so will look for notices. Trip has 6sea days so if not too rocky sure there will plenty of chance for all who want to see show.

Thanks again to you have replied, it's been really helpful.