Is cruise Jan 1 from LA to Ensenada worth it? Will it be warm?

w@ntonsoup

I had a great idea to surprise my wife with our first cruise (with the kids) the first week of January to Ensenada out of Long Beach. I'm about to book... but second guessing that it will be warm. I'm thinking if it's 55 or 60 degrees, that's not really a Mexican Riviera cruise that she'd love.... And kids might be really bored if they're not able to spend hours each day in the pool and on the deck in their swimsuits.. Thoughts?

Ensenada is not considered the Mexican Riviera. It's Baja California, so the weather will be comparable to San Diego. You won't get warm tropical weather until you get further south.

I googled Ensenada weather for Jan/2017 and it looked to be high 50's and mid 60's most of the month, with just a sprinkling of 70.

Hi,

That's so lovely that you want to gift your family with a cruise. :) Ensenada is not the Mexican Riviera. The Carnival Miracle or equivalent do those 7 day cruises. Which might be better suited for a Family Cruise. But, you know your family better than any of us!;)

That said, my Mom & myself are taking the Inspiration for a Halloween 4 day cruise next Monday. And, our first cruise we took our son was the little Baja cruise. We didn't know if he'd like it. He loved hanging out with the teens in their own Teen Club! :cool: Check out and find out if your kids would be interested in hanging with kids their own age.

Weather wise.....if I have the oppty to cruise....:D:D

Bobbi

I had a great idea to surprise my wife with our first cruise (with the kids) the first week of January to Ensenada out of Long Beach. I'm about to book... but second guessing that it will be warm. I'm thinking if it's 55 or 60 degrees, that's not really a Mexican Riviera cruise that she'd love.... And kids might be really bored if they're not able to spend hours each day in the pool and on the deck in their swimsuits.. Thoughts?
I've done that itinerary 4 or 5 times. Older Fantasy Class ships without all the bells and whistles, but we'll maintained and make for a great "sandwich" cruise for me. Weather should be excellent ashore,but maybe a little nippy at sea. You'll have a great time I'm sure.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Depends on where you live and what weather you are acclimated to. We are taking this cruise Dec 11. I live on the Oregon/ California border. We are in our 40's already and nights are down to 20's some teens. By the time Dec rolls around 60 degrees is gonna be warm for us. Maybe not warm enough for us adults to swim but definitely warm enough for the kids to be in the hot tub. ( from past experience on this cruise the kids took over the Lido deck hot tubs) We have a 15, 13,10, 8, 7 and a 2year old going on this cruise. They will have fun even if they don't swim, Your wife and yourself will too. There is nothing better than a cruise!!! especially your first cruise!! What a great present to be surprised with. We talked to the kids and let them know this is their big present from us for Christmas even though it is before Christmas

January is part of cold/rain season here in cali... not sure how warm ensenada will be. We went in Jan 2009 and I remember being in jeans and long sleeve shirt but nothing unbearable.

There are lots of good climate sites on Google that should provide you w all the information you need. Look them up..

DON