Where's the best port to buy alcohol?

bigchefymikey

Actually, I think the days of deals on alcohol are about gone. Duty free shops are not cheap. And most places where a lot of tourists go, are not cheap.

The exception being local products. I discovered aged cachaca this last spring in Brazil. AMAZING stuff, and quite inexpensive in Brazil.

You typically may legally bring back one liter tax free. There is an exemption for certain Caribbean countries and the USVI to bring back 5 liters. Over one liter may be subject to state excise taxes, but I have only heard of them being applied from crossing the border from Mexico into Texas.

Done almost the same cruise as you, we cruised RCCL, and the cruise was about two years ago. Wife had to work and the cruise was over Easter, only one person would work for her and the condition that he made was that she had to buy him two bottles of White Hennessy, we priced it at several ports and actually found that the price on the boat was better than any we found in the ports. We had 4 ports (Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya, and Cozumel) after the first three we saw the trend and just got it on the ship.

Over the last few years it's been my experience that the ships have better prices on Hennessey Pure White than the ports. And I know Carnival will match port prices if you find something cheaper and can get a sale paper or picture.

For your ports, I'd go with the ship for the Hennessey and pick up some Traveler's 5 Barrel rum in Belize, Tortuga rum in Grand Cayman, and maybe some El Aguijon tequila in Cozumel. All are very good and not available in the US. And if you want a chuckle, get some Big Black Dick's rum in Grand Cayman. Makes a good gag gift and again, not available in the US.

Going Western Caribbean in Dec. and want to know where and what port you can buy pure white Hennessy and was there any problems bringing home to the states.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've only seen it in Jamica at the Duty free at the airport, but I did see it on our Royal Princess cruise in April and the price was decent for 2 bottles.

No problem bringing it home.

Going Western Caribbean in Dec. and want to know where and what port you can buy pure white Hennessy and was there any problems bringing home to the states.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did not answer the second part of your question in my other post, but yes you can bring it back into the USA, without any problems. As in the other post we had two bottles and it made it just fine and without any issues!

What I do is write down the ship's prices of alcohol I want to buy. Then when I get off the ship i have those prices and know which is the best price. I know Carnival will match any price you get off the ship. So, you buy one bottle off the ship, then show your receipt and order same alcohol from the ship. Ask if your ship does this.

And if you want a chuckle, get some Big Black Dick's rum in Grand Cayman. Makes a good gag gift and again, not available in the US.

I recall paying $25 for 2 - 750Ml bottles in Feb 2015. It's the only place I've seen for sale and now the ships are bypassing the port till they're back in business from the hurricane. :mad:

For me, the duty free shop in Cozumel had cheaper prices than the ship. It's the big shop you first hit coming off the ship. The reason is that they haggle depending on how much you buy. If you don't like the first salesperson, go down to the next section of the store and find another person. Here's the thing, the port is very easy and accessible. So, price the Hennessy before you get off the ship. Then, see how much the store sells it for. Buy all the bottles in the duty free shop if it's cheaper. Why try to haggle with the ship's store for a price match when you can just buy the cheaper bottles right in the Cozumel store. Lastly, no problems going through customs with it.