Cold Oatmeal Breakfast Cereal Recipe

seamare

We have taken several NCL cruises - we were on the Pearl last week, my husband loves that cold oatmeal cereal - does anyone have the recipe? Would love to make it for him. I can't remember the exact recipe name - I think it was something like Bucher Mieulex.

Museli is a traditional Swiss cereal. They have the dried mix in my cereal isle or I've seen it in health food stores. Basically, it's a mix of whole grains. You add milk or yogurt, dried or fresh fruit and allow it it sit overnight in the refrigerator. I make a "mock version" of my own by mixing oats into fruit flavored yogurt with berries and let it sit overnight. In the morning, I add some toasted almonds. But, check out your cereal isle - it's usually labeled "Swiss Museli".

• 1 year later...

Don't know THE recipe but I can tell you my version:

6 cups regular (not quick cook) oatmeal

2 cups barley flakes

1 cup oat (or wheat) bran

1 cup wheat germ

1 or 2 cups of your favorite nuts. I use slivered almonds and pecans

Seeds - raw sunflower, raw pumpkin, flax

Bake in a 300 degree oven for 30 mins. I stir half way through

Add 1 to 2 cups dried fruits. My favorites are raisins, cranberries, and cherries

For breakfast I mix 2/3 cup cereal, with a good dollup of plain yogurt and some milk. If I have fresh berries or bananas those go on as well. Yum, yum :D I like my version so well I even took it on my last cruise.

This isn't soft/mushy like NCLs version and it doesn't have any sugar. Not sure if NCL has sugar or honey on theirs. I consider the version I use to be low fat and high fiber. Good way to start the day.

Don't know THE recipe but I can tell you my version:

6 cups regular (not quick cook) oatmeal

2 cups barley flakes

1 cup oat (or wheat) bran

1 cup wheat germ

1 or 2 cups of your favorite nuts. I use slivered almonds and pecans

Seeds - raw sunflower, raw pumpkin, flax

Bake in a 300 degree oven for 30 mins. I stir half way through

Add 1 to 2 cups dried fruits. My favorites are raisins, cranberries, and cherries

For breakfast I mix 2/3 cup cereal, with a good dollup of plain yogurt and some milk. If I have fresh berries or bananas those go on as well. Yum, yum :D I like my version so well I even took it on my last cruise.

This isn't soft/mushy like NCLs version and it doesn't have any sugar. Not sure if NCL has sugar or honey on theirs. I consider the version I use to be low fat and high fiber. Good way to start the day.

Golden.. This sounds DELICIOUS.. I'm going to give it a try.

Golden's recipe sounds really good!

Here's mine:

4 cups old fashioned rolled oats

1/2 cup raisens 0r 1/2 cup dried cherries or cherries and berries

1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, lightly toasted (you can use any kind of nuts, but I think hazelnuts work best)

1 quart yogurt (sometimes I use Dannon light vanilla, sometimes plain)

Splenda to taste

Stir in enough apple juice until it looks right. It gets thicker as it sits, so you want it soupy to begin with.)

Serve with any kind of fresh or thawed frozen fruit. If it's too stiff, thin it out with milk or more apple juice.

This is very good and keeps at least a week. Sorry my measurements aren't exact - I'm a "handful of this and a handful of that" type of cook.

I think this is a simple recipe....Make as usual.

Take off burner and let sit in bowl for 30 minutes before serving....

Cold oatmeal.......

Sorry...I just had to do that.......:D

• 4 weeks later...

I like your attitude, Jessemom. :)

The other day when I was in a Safeway, I saw that Bob's Red Mill has a packaged Museli, with directions on how to serve it hot or cold. If you're not familiar with Bob's Red Mill products, they're many times found in the health food section of the baking goods aisle. There're many really nice products from these folks, and they have a website where they sell online. I suppose it's probably bobsreadmill.com, but I don't remember for sure.

We have taken several NCL cruises - we were on the Pearl last week, my husband loves that cold oatmeal cereal - does anyone have the recipe? Would love to make it for him. I can't remember the exact recipe name - I think it was something like Bucher Mieulex.

I first had Bircher Museli at a hotel in West Palm Beach over 20 year ago and loved it but never saw it again until about 6 years ago when we sailed on Holland America. They had it on both the Maasdam and the Zuiderdam. I truly loved the stuff but I couldn't get anyone else to even try it.

Here is a recipe I found on www.recipeland.com that looks pretty close:

Bircher Muesli

A delicious muesli mix made of rolled oats, seedless raisins and bananas.

Ingredients

1 large apple medium-coarse chopped

1/2 cup raisins, seedless

1 banana cut into 1/4 inch slices

1 orange chopped

1 cup rolled oats or more

1 package yogurt, non-fat fruit flavored

1 cup fruit of your choice, chopped

Directions

Muesli is definitly and art, not a science. Let your creativity roam free, and you will have the most tasty results.

Mix ingredients together and serve.

Sea Hag,

"I suppose it's probably bobsreadmill.com, but I don't remember for sure."

That's Bobsredmill.com, but you knew that.

"This is very good and keeps at least a week. Sorry my measurements aren't exact - I'm a "handful of this and a handful of that" type of cook."

Don't apologize for that, you're in good company--Rachel Ray cooks like that and, according to Forbes she earns $18 million a year.

• 4 months later...

I love muesli. Here is my favorite recipe:

1/2 cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oats

1 container Dannon Non-fat Original (Plain) Yogurt

1/4 cup skim milk (more or less, depending on your consistency preference)

2 tsp sugar

1 small Granny Smith Apple, chopped bite-sized

1 small banana, sliced bite-sized

2 tbsp raisins

2 tbsp currants

2 tbsp dried cherries

Mix the oats, yogurt, milk and sugar in a bowl and allow to sit for an hour. Stir in the remaining ingredients and refrigerate overnight.

Check on the grocers shelf for Kellog's Muelix. It is very good. We eat it with yogurt.

• 8 years later...

We were on the Viking Grand European tour at the beginning of the summer. They offered a cold oatmeal as part of the breakfast option on the Aquavit terrace. Does anyone have the recipe? If not I will write to Viking. Thanks!

Jeanie