MSC Opera leaving Havana

Mapleleaf5

Ok..I posted a long review but will try to condense it for you...I have cruised 14 times and have never experienced a cruise like this....the ship was nice...on a smaller scale....very clean...the food was typical...we really enjoyed the dinners in the restaurants...except very loud...as everyone seemed to be trying to talk louder than the next....the ports were the saviour...Havana is beautiful!!! You have 2 days...explore ...we took a taxi...1953 Ford Victoria...pink converable and had a nice tour and lunch for 50 pesos....Jamaica is very laid back...and there are several companies off port willing to take you on a day tour for approx 100 us....grand Cayman is absolutely my favourite beach port...7 mile beach is a local bus ride away for 2.50 us or a taxi for 5 us per person...you can hang there and just enjoy the beach...it's heavenly ...Cozumel...we got a tour from "island marketing" on line before we left...I would highly recommend it...a tour in your own Volkswagen buggy ...takes you right around the island with several stops...and your guide will prepare you a traditional Mexican lunch with fresh salsa and guacamole ...was awesome!!! Our guide was Omar ...if you could get him you would be ever so lucky...he is very professional and fun...and will mould your tour to your liking.....it cost 74 us pp...best money we spent on this trip ....and on my last note....please be prepared for your sea days and ship time...the majority of passengers are European...I would say the ship was 90% ...and 10 % Canadian....loud...aggressive and absolutely no social skills...or maybe it's just the culture...not sure but it was overwhelming...the Buffett and pool deck was total chaos...the bartenders and servers worked so incredibly hard but never seemed to keep everyone happy......my advice...get breakfast early...and wait a bit to get off the ship or you will be trampled...and be ever so grateful for the allegrissimo package...it's a saviour!

The itinerary was pretty amazing but I can honestly say I would not Cruise with MSC again...ship time was very stressful...and not what a vacation should be...I hope this was helpful....if you have already booked...you will enjoy your ports !!! Find a quiet spot on the upper deck...sip your drinks and make the best of it as we did....cheers.....Deb and Wade

Perfect! Thanks for all the tips

Can't wait to see Havana.... I also have booked vintage car tour for the day.

Was going to book a ship tour for Jamaica but sounds like a lot of options at the port for tours.

I have been to Grand Cayman couple of times, We are booking ship tour to stingray city because only in port until 2pm. :eek:

Cozumel, we are doing the Cozumel Bar Hop but the Volkswagen buggy sounds fun. I will keep that one in mind for next time. Which port did you dock at?

Yes, we have the beverage package ..... :D

Thank you,

Joanne

Ok..I posted a long review but will try to condense it for you...I have cruised 14 times and have never experienced a cruise like this....the ship was nice...on a smaller scale....very clean...the food was typical...we really enjoyed the dinners in the restaurants...except very loud...as everyone seemed to be trying to talk louder than the next....the ports were the saviour...Havana is beautiful!!! You have 2 days...explore ...we took a taxi...1953 Ford Victoria...pink converable and had a nice tour and lunch for 50 pesos....Jamaica is very laid back...and there are several companies off port willing to take you on a day tour for approx 100 us....grand Cayman is absolutely my favourite beach port...7 mile beach is a local bus ride away for 2.50 us or a taxi for 5 us per person...you can hang there and just enjoy the beach...it's heavenly ...Cozumel...we got a tour from "island marketing" on line before we left...I would highly recommend it...a tour in your own Volkswagen buggy ...takes you right around the island with several stops...and your guide will prepare you a traditional Mexican lunch with fresh salsa and guacamole ...was awesome!!! Our guide was Omar ...if you could get him you would be ever so lucky...he is very professional and fun...and will mould your tour to your liking.....it cost 74 us pp...best money we spent on this trip ....and on my last note....please be prepared for your sea days and ship time...the majority of passengers are European...I would say the ship was 90% ...and 10 % Canadian....loud...aggressive and absolutely no social skills...or maybe it's just the culture...not sure but it was overwhelming...the Buffett and pool deck was total chaos...the bartenders and servers worked so incredibly hard but never seemed to keep everyone happy......my advice...get breakfast early...and wait a bit to get off the ship or you will be trampled...and be ever so grateful for the allegrissimo package...it's a saviour!

I have been the ports couple of times..... Havana and MSC is new for me.

Sound like it's going to be interesting.

ship time was very stressful ???

Going at the end of March.... upper deck and drinks sound good!

Joanne

The itinerary was pretty amazing but I can honestly say I would not Cruise with MSC again...ship time was very stressful...and not what a vacation should be...I hope this was helpful....if you have already booked...you will enjoy your ports !!! Find a quiet spot on the upper deck...sip your drinks and make the best of it as we did....cheers.....Deb and Wade

I'm about to post my review, but to respond to your questions:

IMO the stop in Grand Cayman is too short. We were one of the first off as black card - tender was easy, no queue, but decided to just wander around the port area and about 10-15 minutes walk, stop and have a coffee at Cayman Coffee Club (good place, take dollars and have free wifi!) and then a beer or two once the bar/ restaurants opened up about 11. Went to Rackams waterfront and the other one by it - might have been called something shack?

Gala nights were the first night at sea and the evening after leaving Grand Cayman. More people dressed up for the first one - I would say about 90% for that one, more like 75% for the second.

Found the food not hot enough, the best was pasta if you could get it fresh and hot.

There were a lot of Italians on this cruise who were very loud (and I have travelled to Italy a lot). However, I didn't find their behaviour or the ship stressful at all. But you will notice a lot of pushing in line, and shouting in Italian!

Anything else in particular please ask. Havana is amazing :)