MSC Orchestra to Mediterranean next March - help? New to MSC

TupeloHoney

This is perhaps an annoying post, and I apologize. I’ve just been turning this over and over inmy head and doing research, but wondered if it would be more efficient to justask you, the experts!

I’m contemplating taking an MSC cruise for the first time next March tothe Mediterranean. I’m not sure exactlywhat my question is, I guess I’m just wondering what I should be thinking aboutwhen deciding on this cruise.

Here’s some info on our group. It would for sure be my husband and me and our two kids – they would be10 and 6 by then. It would probably alsobe dh’s mom, she would be like 84 maybe. And possibly also dh’s sister, her husband and their 20 year oldson. We’re Americans (if that’s notalready obvious).

We’ve cruised together a fair amount, as you can see in mysignature. But always in the Caribbeanor the Mexican Riviera. We’re doingAlaska for the first time this summer.

Most of us have traveled quite a bit outside of cruising as well. DH lived in Europe for 4 years before we gottogether and traveled extensively. MILhas also traveled extensively on cruises and not – also living in Europe andAustralia for periods. The rest of ushave varying experience in Europe, but none of us has been to the Mediterraneanbefore (except dh and possibly mil). Most of our European travelshave been in Northern Europe.

We’ve mostly sailed on Princess. What is different about MSC that might be of concern? Or I should at least be aware of. I’ve been reading and searching on this boardfor the last week since we started thinking about this. I’m a little confused by the different experiences,but can probably figure that out. Rightnow I’m thinking the Fantastica experience makes the most sense. If we’re booking a year our, what are thechances we’ll get first seating for dinner? I see ship prices are likely to be in Euros. I see the experience will be more European –I’m not sure what exactly that means – but that’s probably just fine (in factgood, we are hoping to expose the kids to new stuff – thus the point of thistrip!)

I am reading the weather will be cool in the Mediterranean inMarch. Highly in the 60s? That’s also fine.

I’ve read about that status matching, so we’ll look into that as we’vegot some sort of status on Princess – can’t remember which, not the highest…

We typically like to get cabins all in a row. I can’t tell if that’d be possible with MSCor not. We usually put our 10 year oldson in with grandma, but he wants to be next door to us. It’s ideal if the balconies can be opened upso we can share one balcony and go back and forth that way.

The ship going next March is the Orchestra, that appears to be an oldership. Don’t know if that makes anydifference…

Anything I need to think about with the ports? SIL and MIL have some mobility issues. Mostly they can’t walk long distances. Will they find things they can do?

What else? I’m the oneinstigating this cruise, and I’m the one who will be held accountable if it’s aflop! lol So what do I need to think through before wego ahead and jump in and book it!

A million thanks!

Our last cruise was on the Orchestra from Venice to Dubai, like all MSC ships it was spotless, we have also travelled on Poesia one of the sister ships from Barcelona to FLL, we prefer this class of ship to the Divina.

You are likely to get the cabins you want if you are booking so far out, not sure which cabins you have been looking at but at the top of the boards there is a thread with lots of info there by Skier.

MSC are different to the other lines as I am sure you may have read, going with an open mind and accepting that those in Europe do things differently and you will not go far wrong.