Orchestra Greek Cruise: Which Balcony? Aft or Starboard (right)?

volcomstone821

I am traveling on the MSC Orchestra through the Mediterranean and Greece.

From what I can tell, the starboard side (right side) of the ship will be traveling along the coastline for the majority of the cruise. While this sounds great, I am also interested in an aft balcony because they are larger and aft views offer a different cruising experience.

Any thoughts or opinions on what YOU would consider for this itinerary on the Orchestra? Balcony size vs. direct coastline view. Maybe I am wrong and the ship travels much further from the coastline than expected.

Photos are attached of the cruise path AND balconies.

ccquestion.jpg.00c8b914cb19b25ee3a1414343c2c9e4.jpg

I am traveling on the MSC Orchestra through the Mediterranean and Greece.

From what I can tell, the starboard side (right side) of the ship will be traveling along the coastline for the majority of the cruise. While this sounds great, I am also interested in an aft balcony because they are larger and aft views offer a different cruising experience.

Any thoughts or opinions on what YOU would consider for this itinerary on the Orchestra? Balcony size vs. direct coastline view. Maybe I am wrong and the ship travels much further from the coastline than expected.

Photos are attached of the cruise path AND balconies.

The main point would be if there is a day at sea , which I doubt looking at the itinerary.

edit: just checked and you have 3 mornings and 1 afternoon at sea which makes a starboard cabin worth considering, There will be sun on the balcony for part of the day every day, afternoon outward morning homeward

As the ship sails at night and is docked mostly during daylight hours views of the coastline will be limited as you'll either be in dinner or at a show in the early evening when there will be residual light.

It would be nice to know the departure times from the port and which month you are sailing.

On the southerly run there will little or no sun on aft balcony but on the homeward northerly run there will be sun all day on an aft balcony

I'd have an aft balcony, particularly decks 8 and 9, in preference to a side facing balcony any day, but that is a personal preference.

my second choice would be a starboard balcony if there are no sea days or half sea days.

Avoid deck 11 aft balconies as they look minute

They are the top row of balconies in this image

orchestra.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52

It is the Sept. 4th cruise and I would be on deck 10.

So there will almost equal amounts of day and night as the equinox is only 18 days later. This means that that sunrise in Venice on 4th sept 2016 is 06:36 and sunset is 19.42 and in Athens on the 8th Sept 2016 sunrise is 07:01 and sunset is 19:44.

So as you sail into Bari 5th Sept and dock at 13:00 you will have no sunshine on either a starboard or aft cabin during the morning cruise., Leaving at 18.00 gives you ~ 1.5 hours to admire the coast from about 3 -5 miles out to sea if you are on the 2nd sitting dinner and may mean missing the show in the theatre.

It is just the same on the following day at Katacolon.

Sailing to Corfu, arr. 12:30, on the 9th Sept you will have sunshine all morning on both a starboard and an aft cabin.

At Kotor , arr. 07:00 dept. 13.00 you will have no sunshine in the afternoon , cruising, on a starboard balcony and sunshine most of the afternoon on an aft balcony..

So based on sunshine on the balcony an aft balcony will win out.

The deck 10 aft balconies look to be a little larger than a standard balcony but nowhere as big as decks 8 and 9,

So i'd still opt for an aft balcony over a starboard one but it is quite as close run race.

Pete

PS

I'm doing the trans Atlantic crossing in April and have a starboard cabin, on orchestra, and expect to have sunshine on the balcony every day of the 6 days at sea.

Edited by Skier52

Thanks Skier for the photo and info. We are sailing in May on the Orchestra and have booked an aft balcony on deck 8. Just wondering why you say preferably deck 8 and 9? Are they larger?

looking at the deck plans the balconies appear bigger and this is backed up by looking at images of the stern. you can see in the image below the length of the partition walls. though on careful looking the balcony on deck 10 looks to be a decent size about the same as deck 9.

Deck 8 definitely has the largest balconies.

orchestra%20aft%20balconies.jpg

Pete