Kids and purchases

Twow

I am cruising in January with 4 kids. I do not necessarily need them to have all access on their cards being able to charge onboard using my credit card account. Is there any way that I could put like $50 cash on each child's card that they use on the ship? That way they can do their own purchases with their own money? Or do the cards have to be set up using my credit card or no access to buy anything at all. I just wondered if there was an in-between option?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

You can set the kids with cash accounts, but you have to sign financial responsibility for them....meaning that the ship does not access the account to see if money is there before allowing them to purchase and if they spend over their account, you have agreed to make up the difference. A minor cannot have "charging" on their card unless an adult signs for financial responsibility (unless things have changed very recently). The other thing--if they have their own accounts, any excursions and tip amounts will show up on their account. We handled this by going to Guest Services and paying off their tip and excursion amounts on my credit card, so what showed up on their account really did reflect their spending.

There's definitely no way to put a spending cap on unless something has changed very recently. If they have charging abilities and go over their cash amount (to a point) it will show as an owed balance. When we took my nephew I just pulled up the bill every night so he knew I was looking.

SOME places on the ship (gift shops, typically) can accept a Visa gift card or regular Visa. Using a gift card can limit what the kid can spend there because if they attempt to spend over the card amount it will be declined. However, these cards are not accepted at bars or other outlets where they might want to purchase a smoothie or some such thing.

Fortunately the Arr-cades are gone--there are horror stories of big kids tricking less sophisticated kids into recharging their arcade cards for them!

I'm pretty sure the arcades are still there, or do you mean the old point system as opposed to charge per game (it's been a while, I vaguely recall the old system).

The only shop that still takes credit cards is the duty free/jewelry type I think, because of the larger transaction sizes. The new candy/ice cream shops do not.

I'm pretty sure the arcades are still there, or do you mean the old point system as opposed to charge per game (it's been a while, I vaguely recall the old system).

The only shop that still takes credit cards is the duty free/jewelry type I think, because of the larger transaction sizes. The new candy/ice cream shops do not.

None of the food type shops take credit cards. On the Magic, both Mickey's Mates (now Mickey's Mainsail) and the fancier, more adult one (now WhiteCaps) would take them.

I was under the impression that QuarterMaster's was closed as part of the last dry dock on the Magic and that it was eliminated on the Dream during that dry dock. I could be wrong as this is not a space that my family has ever had an interest in. It is not shown on the interactive deck plans on the DCL web site....at least not in the original location.

Vanellope’s Sweets and Treats replaced the Arr-cade on the Dream and Sweet On You replaced the Arr-cade on the Fantasy during their last dry docks.

What replaced it on the Wonder's dry-dock? I didn't recall seeing an Arr-cade there either.

According to current deck plans its called Quarter Masters and is on deck 9 on magic and wonder.

Moki'smommy is correct, at least on the Wonder (which I just disembarked a week ago). Where Quarter Masters used to be is now the Edge.

and now going totally off topic - for really delicious ice cream, try vanellope's!!

my daughter and son in law bought one of those car sundaes as a surprise thank you to me (for planning our august family extravaganza)..

it was delivered to our dinner the last night....

it would have been great even had it tasted horrible - such a lovely thought..

but the ice cream was scrumptious..

and we had a comparison, as i'd ordered the regular dining room ice cream for dessert...

after we ate the venellope's ice cream, i couldn't touch the dining room stuff after trying it....

night and day difference....and it was so cute....and such fun having it delivered to dinner that way...

i was totally surprised...had no idea they'd ordered it..

Weird. You would think Disney would update their own site.

And have to admit I am surprised they would remove an Arcade overall. Those things are revenue farms.

Moki'smommy is correct, at least on the Wonder (which I just disembarked a week ago). Where Quarter Masters used to be is now the Edge.

The problem was that it wasn't a big money maker on DCL. The arcades at the resorts at WDW are constantly busy, and the kids are usually with a parent. The only time we saw the ones on the ships look "busy" was when the Edge group (and in the old days, the Lab group) was having "Invade the Arcade." During that hour, all games were set to "free play" for anyone in there, whether part of the group or not. Other than that, it was typically a small number of kids. Add to that the maintenance issues, sorting out issues of big kids "tricking" younger ones into recharging their cards (this usually resulted in GS issuing a refund to the parent of the younger kid if the security cameras confirmed their story), and the usual stuff that can go on when tweens are in an enclosed space with no parental supervision, and the arcades were adding up to one big headache for DCL.

If the space had provided the revenue stream that those on land do, there's no way they would have been eliminated. DCL is well aware of income earned from various outlets on board. Those that don't measure up are re-purposed.

FYI, the old "Edge" space on deck 2 has been converted to additional guest cabins....the space has had several incarnations since 1998.