info please for the area around Newark

sgmn

Hello, we are arriving from the UK around 1.40 at EWR on 19th Sept for our cruise leaving on Anthem on 20Sept. We are booked into the Best Western Robert Treat. Think by the time we get to the hotel and with the time difference we won't have a lot of time to do much sightseeing/be to shattered. Can you advise what there is to do around this area. Is it safe to walk, any sights to see etc. Also roughly how much a taxi or Uber would be to the port and can Uber drop us off right by the drop off point.

Thanks for any insight you can give me

Sue

Have stayed there. There is not much to do in the immediate area. The hotel is fine. You are on the border of a not really great area.

That being said, walking around, and staying up as late as possible is our standard plan for adjusting to the time change. You can scout the area for restaurants (there are a couple of pretty good, budget friendly ones in the area).

What port is Anthem sailing out of? There are 3 choices in the NYC area. Use Uberestimate.com for the approximate fares.

Hello, we are arriving from the UK around 1.40 at EWR on 19th Sept for our cruise leaving on Anthem on 20Sept. We are booked into the Best Western Robert Treat. Think by the time we get to the hotel and with the time difference we won't have a lot of time to do much sightseeing/be to shattered. Can you advise what there is to do around this area. Is it safe to walk, any sights to see etc. Also roughly how much a taxi or Uber would be to the port and can Uber drop us off right by the drop off point.

Thanks for any insight you can give me

Sue

Hi Sue,

I'm assuming you're arriving at 1:40 pm?

You will have to clear customs and then take your luggage on the free Airtrain to go to the P4 station to connect with your hotel shuttle. https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/travel-guide-airtrainnewark.pdf

What are you paying for the Robert Treat? Is your reservation cancellable? I have stayed at the Robert Treat and liked it, but there could be other options for you if you're interested. Trinityreservations.com offers a sleep cruise package at the Ramada for $193 tax included for a room and round trip port transportation.

Downtown Newark is a highly urban area. Wandering around on foot after dark is not recommended. However, the hotel is on a nice quieter side street fronting on a park - just office buildings and no stores or shops. The Ironbound area with many Spanish and Portuguese restaurants is a short cab ride away.

Uber will drop you off at the terminal drop off area. Pricing is difficult to estimate - folks have posted a whole variety of prices in the $25-40 range.

I'm assuming you are on the BA flight that arrives 1340. Just so you know, if you are returning with BA from EWR, the check in desk does not open until 1530, as all the flights are late afternoon/evening, so don't turn up really early thinking you can dump your bags and 'do something' in the airport. BA check in desk is on the lower level at the far left end (looking from the road) at the end of the baggage carousels.

Simon

Hi Sue,

I'm assuming you're arriving at 1:40 pm?

You will have to clear customs and then take your luggage on the free Airtrain to go to the P4 station to connect with your hotel shuttle. https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/travel-guide-airtrainnewark.pdf

What are you paying for the Robert Treat? Is your reservation cancellable? I have stayed at the Robert Treat and liked it, but there could be other options for you if you're interested. Trinityreservations.com offers a sleep cruise package at the Ramada for $193 tax included for a room and round trip port transportation.

Downtown Newark is a highly urban area. Wandering around on foot after dark is not recommended. However, the hotel is on a nice quieter side street fronting on a park - just office buildings and no stores or shops. The Ironbound area with many Spanish and Portuguese restaurants is a short cab ride away.

Uber will drop you off at the terminal drop off area. Pricing is difficult to estimate - folks have posted a whole variety of prices in the $25-40 range.

Thanks for the info. Especially about the free train to hotel bus and the link. We are paying around $150 including breakfast for hotel, only need transport to the port as getting a ship's tour back to airport to try and waste some time as homebound flight is not until evening. We may jump on the path train to WTC as it looks easy to do, just see how we feel after the flight .

I'm assuming you are on the BA flight that arrives 1340. Just so you know, if you are returning with BA from EWR, the check in desk does not open until 1530, as all the flights are late afternoon/evening, so don't turn up really early thinking you can dump your bags and 'do something' in the airport. BA check in desk is on the lower level at the far left end (looking from the road) at the end of the baggage carousels.

Simon

Thanks Simon, we flying back from J FK. Travelling airline staff on my husband's firm tickets but we could still be taken off flight and there are more options from JFK . We've booked the ship's tour/transport to try and use up some of the hours. Pity eastbound transatlantic is either very early in morning or evening time

Thanks for the info. Especially about the free train to hotel bus and the link. We are paying around $150 including breakfast for hotel, only need transport to the port as getting a ship's tour back to airport to try and waste some time as homebound flight is not until evening. We may jump on the path train to WTC as it looks easy to do, just see how we feel after the flight .

Sounds like a plan. It is easy to take PATH to the WTC - $2.75/pp. Ask at the hotel desk about the shuttle schedule. They will drop you off and pick you up at Newark Penn Station. However coming back you will have to call them and if you don't want to wait, just take a cab back to the hotel as walking the few blocks at night is not recommended.

Sounds like a plan. It is easy to take PATH to the WTC - $2.75/pp. Ask at the hotel desk about the shuttle schedule. They will drop you off and pick you up at Newark Penn Station. However coming back you will have to call them and if you don't want to wait, just take a cab back to the hotel as walking the few blocks at night is not recommended.

Thanks again Carol, you always,give such great info. One other question is there somewhere near the hotel to pick up our two bottles that Royal Caribbean allow? I see on Google maps there is a whole food market nearby but don't know if they sell wine, otherwise we will get it at the departure lounge at Heathrow before we leave

Thanks Sue

Thanks again Carol, you always,give such great info. One other question is there somewhere near the hotel to pick up our two bottles that Royal Caribbean allow? I see on Google maps there is a whole food market nearby but don't know if they sell wine, otherwise we will get it at the departure lounge at Heathrow before we leave

Thanks Sue

Wine and liquor are sold only in wine/liquor stores in the state of New Jersey. The Whole Foods market near the Robert Treat would not sell wine. I'd do the easy thing and buy it at Heathrow.

There is no easy answer to the buying wine question for folks flying into Newark and cruising from Cape Liberty. There is no liquor store at the airport or within walking distance of any of the airport hotels. I'm sure you can find a liquor store in downtown Newark, but do you really want to wander around looking for one?

Thanks Sue

I’m sure you can find a liquor store in the area. It’s an urban area, but not a war zone. My daughter attended theater camp for a few summers at NJPAC in high school, kids took public transportation there, Rutgers University is right there, Saint Benedict’s Prep, DH just had a couple days of jury duty in the area and wondered around during the 1 1/2 hour lunch breaks.

Thanks Sue

There's a wine and liquor store near Cape Liberty , Wine Warehouse, in the South Cove Commons shopping center. Stopping there will tack on some cost (not sure exactly how much) to your Uber or taxi ride from your hotel to Cape Liberty, but you can buy your wine there.

Wine and liquor are sold only in wine/liquor stores in the state of New Jersey. The Whole Foods market near the Robert Treat would not sell wine. I'd do the easy thing and buy it at Heathrow.

There is no easy answer to the buying wine question for folks flying into Newark and cruising from Cape Liberty. There is no liquor store at the airport or within walking distance of any of the airport hotels. I'm sure you can find a liquor store in downtown Newark, but do you really want to wander around looking for one?

Carol, FYI, while it appears that the Whole Foods in Newark doesn't sell beer, wine and liquor it's not impossible in NJ for supermarkets to have an adjacent attached liquor store. The supermarket has to obtain a liquor store license. The supermarket we regular shop in has a license, and supermarkets now are even permitted to break through the wall and have direct access between the two stores. Our supermarket now even has a selection of wine displayed and for sale in the main store that you can pay for at the supermarket checkout.

Edited by njhorseman

That's a step in the right direction!

The problem in NJ is that there are a finite number of liquor licenses, they are super expensive and hard to get (because another store has to sell it). Each municipality gets a certain amount based on a formula, and one can’t sell one to another municipality.

While I would love to be able to buy beer and wine in the grocery store, I love the fact that the majority of restaurants are byob.