Manhattan cruise terminal confusion

Grandma Rambo

We disembarked from Oceania Insignia a few days ago, the same time as one of the very large Carnival ships. The terminal was a madhouse and the agents working there were rude and refused to even tell us where the Oceania luggage was. Once outside the terminal with our luggage. we were told that we couldn't stay in that area, but had to cross 12th Avenue to the corner. We are in our 80s and have difficulty walking with a cane, let alone with luggage. We explained that we simply couldn't drag our luggage across six lanes of traffic and then stand on the corner with hundreds of others with their luggage. Because our driver was stuck in traffic, we waited about an hour, being repeatedly screamed at for being there.

This was our first time in over 30 cruises that we arrived in NYC. We have two more cruises booked for next year and I'm seeking an alternative way so as to avoid what we experienced. If we took a shuttle tour or something of that nature where would we get picked up?

I am hoping some of you more experienced folks will chime in and give me some ideas. My husband wants to "pull the plug" on any cruise arriving in New York. We've done NJ and Brooklyn with no problems.

With many thanks for any advice,

Jennie

We disembarked from Oceania Insignia a few days ago, the same time as one of the very large Carnival ships. The terminal was a madhouse and the agents working there were rude and refused to even tell us where the Oceania luggage was. Once outside the terminal with our luggage. we were told that we couldn't stay in that area, but had to cross 12th Avenue to the corner. We are in our 80s and have difficulty walking with a cane, let alone with luggage. We explained that we simply couldn't drag our luggage across six lanes of traffic and then stand on the corner with hundreds of others with their luggage. Because our driver was stuck in traffic, we waited about an hour, being repeatedly screamed at for being there.

This was our first time in over 30 cruises that we arrived in NYC. We have two more cruises booked for next year and I'm seeking an alternative way so as to avoid what we experienced. If we took a shuttle tour or something of that nature where would we get picked up?

I am hoping some of you more experienced folks will chime in and give me some ideas. My husband wants to "pull the plug" on any cruise arriving in New York. We've done NJ and Brooklyn with no problems.

With many thanks for any advice,

Jennie

Dear Jennie,

You truly have my sympathy. I would not have allowed my parents to have to experience your tale.

We sail on Cunard out of Brooklyn and find it a true pleasure even though some do find fault but not like those experienced in Manhattan. We have never had a problem in our six years of sailing out of Brooklyn.

I know Princess sails out of Brooklyn but have not experienced that line.

We had in the past had to use the terminal in Manhattan before it was restored and found it a lot of work to take a cruise and also returning from one. I know of your experiences even as far back to those days in the 80's and 90's. Yes as far back to then. The rushing, disorganization, yelling and struggle one experience coming off a relaxing cruise..

Best Wishes on your Future Cruise Planning may be out of Brooklyn....

I would just avoid cruises that end in NYC

YMMV

Thank you, LHT28. That's exactly what we've decided to do. Yesterday we cancelled our Oceania cruise for next year and might do the same with MSC. As suggested, I'll check the terminal schedule.

Keep it simple, right?

Thanks again

Jennie

Dear Jennie,

You truly have my sympathy. I would not have allowed my parents to have to experience your tale.

We sail on Cunard out of Brooklyn and find it a true pleasure even though some do find fault but not like those experienced in Manhattan. We have never had a problem in our six years of sailing out of Brooklyn.

I know Princess sails out of Brooklyn but have not experienced that line.

We had in the past had to use the terminal in Manhattan before it was restored and found it a lot of work to take a cruise and also returning from one. I know of your experiences even as far back to those days in the 80's and 90's. Yes as far back to then. The rushing, disorganization, yelling and struggle one experience coming off a relaxing cruise..

Best Wishes on your Future Cruise Planning may be out of Brooklyn....

BKLYNBOY8, thank you so much for your kind words. Living in Connecticut we thought it would be perfect cruising out of NY because we could avoid the chaos at airport terminals and fatigue of flying. This turned out to be much worse. We will be looking into other options and will avoid Manhattan like the plague. We've already cancelled one of the cruises. Our two cruises on Princess out of Brooklyn were a pleasure and seamless.

Thank you for your warm and caring words.

Jennie

Thank you, LHT28. That's exactly what we've decided to do. Yesterday we cancelled our Oceania cruise for next year and might do the same with MSC. As suggested, I'll check the terminal schedule.

Keep it simple, right?

Thanks again

Jennie

We avoid sailing into NYC for the same reason

getting a taxi to the airport seems like a nightmare

I cancelled a Canada/NE cruise last year when I read about the dragging luggage across the road & line ups for taxis

We are sailing OUT of Manhatten in April so hopefully that works out OK

BKLYNBOY8, thank you so much for your kind words. Living in Connecticut we thought it would be perfect cruising out of NY because we could avoid the chaos at airport terminals and fatigue of flying. This turned out to be much worse. We will be looking into other options and will avoid Manhattan like the plague. We've already cancelled one of the cruises. Our two cruises on Princess out of Brooklyn were a pleasure and seamless.

Thank you for your warm and caring words. Jennie

Jennie,

Thank you for your kind words. Having traveled with seniors, my parents taught me common sense and making the right decision.

As mentioned, we have used Manhattan in the past before the restoration and thought that work would have made the process more streamlined in it's operation. Doesn't sound like it did.

Within the last month there had been a accident with a cruise ship crashing into one of berth disabling it. Hope they fix it by the time next cruise season starts up. It effected the ship's berth and the parking lot next to it. Can't see it happening that quick.

Great you'll be coming out of Brooklyn with Princess. As mentioned, Cunard has sailings out of Brooklyn besides Trans Atlantic crossing. We are going on a 4th of July sailing that's been fun besides Caribbean and NE/CANADA..

Whatever you select, please start and end the sailing with the relax full rest you've are looking for.

Edited by BklynBoy8