World Cruise Mistakes and Horror Stories

World Cruising
A place for world and extended length cruisers to share advice and experiences.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:07 AM.
1,749 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
There's a crazy cheap price on the Jan 3 2019 world cruise from Chennai (Madras), India to Langkawi, Malaysia.

436 nights on the classy Queen Mary 2 of premium line Cunard at just $47 per day, including port fees and taxes.

Even cheaper through an online TA, who may either give a discount of up to 10% or equivalent OBC.
Virginia
24,439 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by drsel
There's a crazy cheap price on the Jan 3 2019 world cruise from Chennai (Madras), India to Langkawi, Malaysia.

436 nights on the classy Queen Mary 2 of premium line Cunard at just $47 per day, including port fees and taxes.

Even cheaper through an online TA, who may either give a discount of up to 10% or equivalent OBC.
436 nights??? Langkawi to Chennai is only 3 days.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

My Cruise Blogs
World Voyage Blog - http://kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com/
A Winter Crossing - http://cunard2015.blogspot.com
The Sail-Away Gang's Cruise - http://westerdam2015.blogspot.com/
Fall Foliage Cruise -http://fallfoliagecruise2015.blogspot.com/
South Pacific/North to Alaska - http://halcruises2016.blogspot.com/
Around the World Again - https://2018halgwv.blogspot.com/

Evangeline - Nassau - 1960
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt - EB TA - 1962
Queen Mary - WB TA - 1962
Raffaello - Caribbean - 1968
MV Three Gorges - Yangtze River - 1988
Atlas - Nile River - 1995
Olympic - Aegean Sea - 1996
Constellation - Baltic Sea - 2005
Disney Fantasy - Caribbean - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale - 2015

Westerdam - FLL to Seattle with the "Sail-away Gang" - 2015
Liberty of the Seas - Canada/New England - 2015
Westerdam - Hawaii, Tahiti, and the Marquesas with the "Pearls of the Pacific" - 2016
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 2016
Amsterdam - Grand World Voyage - 2018
1,749 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Originally posted by Scrapnana
436 nights??? Langkawi to Chennai is only 3 days.
Yes I think it's a mistake. Sorry
529 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Wow, 104 nights! That's amazing!!
1) How did they manage 104 different shows? Was there a show every night?
2) What about the other gameshows and entertainment for 104 days? Was it different every evening?
3) How many champagne art auctions? How many champagne bottles as prizes?
4) How many theme parties? How many pool parties?
5) How many comedy shows? How many gameshows?
6) How many formal nights with lobster and steak?
7) How many countries? How many visas? How many blank pages are required in your passport for visas?
8) What was the (cruise only) cost per person? How much did you spend in all?

I have great difficulty convincing my wife to come for even a 29 night cruise I booked at an incredible price. She says a 7-10 night cruise is ideal. She even found a 14 night cruise to be too long and tiresome. Even boring. I really envy you!
Pardon me for all the questions and thanks again for for the information!

Well Iíll try to answer your questions :
My answers are based on a 141 day WC taken last year
1. Most every night there was entertainment and MOST shows where quite good . As a note, we didnít book the WC for the nightly entertainment , we booked it for the daily experiences we experienced.
2.Yes it different and not all shows where on the main stage . You have to remember that we where in most cases 1/2 the world away from where we started. Most of the entertainers came from the States and England
3.NONE ! Thank you Very Much and No Art Auctions -Nor photographers taking your pictures ! THAT WAS LIBERATING! To say the least. .
4. Only a few and they where optional but fun. The celebrations involved many of the very hard working crew members as they left us for well earned vacations. The one celebration that I remember well was when we crossed the equator and we all had to kiss the fish and jump into the pool to become shell backs ! Something I never thought Iíd do at the age of 70. In addition , they gave us an official cruise certification of being a shell back. Just a lot of Fun-Even the Captain went along and participated in the celebration minus the grog we had to sample .
5.Not going to answer that stupid question. REALLY -you rate,a cruise on how many comedy shows you get to see. You need to learn how to entertain yourself and not wait for others to do it for you.
6. NO FORMAL NIGHTS IN 141 night . What a breath of FRESH AIR. Sports jacket and tie is about all I can muster! Plus my wife doesnít want to PUT THE DOG ON either . At my age who am I trying to impress.?
7. 60 plus countries, if you go on a Good Cruise line they
Will arrange for visas and entry information and have the additional costs worked into the price. Start out with a BRAND NEW PASSPORT. If you are going on a TRUE World Cruise
you donít NEED to count the pages on the NEW PASSPORT, the visa service will inform you if you donít have enough .
8. First of all ,itís none of your business what I or anyone else pays for something is their business not yours. If you need to ask what something costs ,maybe you canít afford it. Thatís what my DAD TOLD ME!

Find a GOOD HONEST HARDWORKING TRAVEL AGENT . Plan and worK with that person and only with that person. They will work their tails off for you !

Sent from my iPad using Forums
1,079 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Originally posted by Eaches
Well Iíll try to answer your questions :
My answers are based on a 141 day WC taken last year
1. Most every night there was entertainment and MOST shows where quite good . As a note, we didnít book the WC for the nightly entertainment , we booked it for the daily experiences we experienced.
2.Yes it different and not all shows where on the main stage . You have to remember that we where in most cases 1/2 the world away from where we started. Most of the entertainers came from the States and England
3.NONE ! Thank you Very Much and No Art Auctions -Nor photographers taking your pictures ! THAT WAS LIBERATING! To say the least. .
4. Only a few and they where optional but fun. The celebrations involved many of the very hard working crew members as they left us for well earned vacations. The one celebration that I remember well was when we crossed the equator and we all had to kiss the fish and jump into the pool to become shell backs ! Something I never thought Iíd do at the age of 70. In addition , they gave us an official cruise certification of being a shell back. Just a lot of Fun-Even the Captain went along and participated in the celebration minus the grog we had to sample .
5.Not going to answer that stupid question. REALLY -you rate,a cruise on how many comedy shows you get to see. You need to learn how to entertain yourself and not wait for others to do it for you.
6. NO FORMAL NIGHTS IN 141 night . What a breath of FRESH AIR. Sports jacket and tie is about all I can muster! Plus my wife doesnít want to PUT THE DOG ON either . At my age who am I trying to impress.?
7. 60 plus countries, if you go on a Good Cruise line they
Will arrange for visas and entry information and have the additional costs worked into the price. Start out with a BRAND NEW PASSPORT. If you are going on a TRUE World Cruise
you donít NEED to count the pages on the NEW PASSPORT, the visa service will inform you if you donít have enough .
8. First of all ,itís none of your business what I or anyone else pays for something is their business not yours. If you need to ask what something costs ,maybe you canít afford it. Thatís what my DAD TOL
Find a GOOD HONEST HARDWORKING TRAVEL AGENT . Plan and worK with that person and only with that person. They will work their tails off for you !

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Great answers! Any insights how to find this GOOD HARDWORKING HONEST TA who specializes on WC? Unfortunately none of our friends or relatives ever took WC so none can offer any referrals or suggestions. We plan our first WC so finding a trustworthy and knowledgeable TA is a must.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Toronto, Dunedin FL and Ottawa Valley
14,829 Posts
Joined May 2001
So many great comments on different experiences! Not many horror stories, so far.

Here's one. A vocal Cruise Critic poster and cruiser, whom I had met once onboard a Regent ship, talked for a long time about a WC on Oceania. The one he originally booked was cancelled for some reason, can't remember why--damage to the ship I think, or involvement in a hurricane? So he was moved back a year, and sadly, died onboard, somewhere in Asia. Not a great experience for his wife I think.

The cost per person of the 5th Jan 2020 Costa Deliziosa world cruise (112 nights, Venice to Venice) is $14719 + $440 taxes + $1400 mandatory service charges, for an inside cabin, with $1675 OBC
The Viking world cruise is over 5 times more expensive.
How would you compare the two, w.r.t. pricing and value?
Ugh, sorry to sound snobbish, but never would do Costa. Tiny cabins, nickel and diming, lots of add-on costs.

Let me back up. We're considering doing a Regent WC in 2021. All inclusive, including most excursions, the usual inclusions like all alcohol and tips, ship laundry, pressing and dry cleaning service, a visa package, free doctor's visits, ...what have I forgotten? Oh, Business air back from Europe, and First class air in N.A., pre-cruise hotel in Miami, wifi, luggage service, obc's, etc. All that comes at a price, of course. Standard cabin is 250ft plus a 50ft balcony. I've been on the ship so know what to expect. Passenger to space ratio is 50, better than Viking. Wonderful public spaces in Mariner.

But I've been looking at the 2020 Viking package as well--similar itinerary, although more emphasis on Asia and less on Europe--pros and cons for both as far as itinerary goes. Smaller cabin, not as many inclusions, lower pax to space ratio but still sounds good.

The Regent excursions alone make this an outstanding value I think, compared to Viking. Not all excursions are included, you can purchase special value-added ones, but most are included, and in the past we've enjoyed these. But for the price of the Regent minimal cabin, we could get a PH on Viking, marginally bigger than Regent.

My question to Heidi is, how comfortable to you feel taking a WC on a line you haven't taken before? I guess it helps that you've taken other world cruises on lesser lines. I have thought about Viking in the past, but not sure I would be that comfortable with a completely unknown quantity, regardless of how good the reviews are.

Nice to have these choices, eh?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Seabourn Quest Canada, September 2018
⚓Past Cruises:

Paul Gauguin Cook Islands & Societies, October 2017
Seven Seas Mariner, Miami-Lima, January 2017
Azamara Journey, Rome-Rome, September 2016
Uniworld Egypt, River Tosca, October 2015
Paul Gauguin 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2014
Oceania Riviera, Nov. 2013
Seven Seas Navigator, Dec. 2006, Alaska May 2012
Radisson Diamond June, Black Sea 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010
British Columbia
1,173 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by Wendy The Wanderer

My question to Heidi is, how comfortable to you feel taking a WC on a line you haven't taken before? I guess it helps that you've taken other world cruises on lesser lines. I have thought about Viking in the past, but not sure I would be that comfortable with a completely unknown quantity, regardless of how good the reviews are.

Nice to have these choices, eh?
Wendy - As you noted, taking a longer cruise on an unknown Line, especially a World Cruise, is both unusual and a bit of a risk.

However, for a variety of reasons, we are very comfortable with our decision. The length is not an issue for either of us, as I worked at sea for 40 + years and DW has completed numerous longer cruises (> 1 month) + we have 1 previous WC completed.

We wanted 2020, since it is a significant anniversary and the schedule did not permit a quick cruise in the interim. I also note that Viking's WC's are significantly different from their regular cruises, so taking a short cruise may not have given a full assessment of what to expect.

Prior to booking we spent many months planning and researching, developing a statement of requirements and budget. We researched each luxury and premium Line, as we have no desire to return to mainstream lines, even the ones with special classes of cabin. Viking ticked the most boxes, so we research them fairly thoroughly, although I have been following them since 2015.

So to summarise, yes it is a risk, but with research, we are comfortable with the decision.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andy & Judi

World Cruise & RV'ing Blog: www.andyandjudi.com

Upcoming Cruises
2020 - Viking Sun World Cruise - LA to Greenwich

Previous Cruises
1976 Uganda - Meddy
1977 Oriana - Vancouver to Sydney
1978 Oriana - UK
1978 Canberra - UK
1979 Uganda - Meddy
1979 Island Princess - Alaska B2B, Mexico B2B
1980 Sun Princess - Alaska B2B, Mexico B2B
1999 Sun Princess - Alaska
2002 Radiance of the Seas - Alaska
2005 Coral Princess - Panama
2005 Dawn Princess - West Coastal
2007 Dawn Princess - Mexico
2008 Island Princess - Panama
2008 Diamond Princess - Asia B2B
2010 Island Princess - Panama
2011 Diamond Princess - Alaska B2B
2013 Sapphire Princess - Alaska B2B
2014 Emerald Princess - Caribbean B2B
2014 Emerald Princess - Trans Atlantic
2015 Sea Princess - World Cruise
2017 CMV Columbus - Baltic
1,749 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Originally posted by Aldeya
Great answers! Any insights how to find this GOOD HARDWORKING HONEST TA who specializes on WC? Unfortunately none of our friends or relatives ever took WC so none can offer any referrals or suggestions. We plan our first WC so finding a trustworthy and knowledgeable TA is a must.
Yes, he should know the visa requirements for cruise ship passengers (of all nationalities), for each and every country that is accessible by cruise.
He should be able to get you the best deal, in terms of a discount or OBC.
He should also watch out for price drops and automatically pass on the benefit of any price drop.
Maybe I'm asking for too much
USA
5,455 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Any insights how to find this GOOD HARDWORKING HONEST TA who specializes on WC?
Unfortunately, the rules here on CC forbid anyone asking for TA info, asking to be privately emailed TA info and for anyone giving out TA info.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.

Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise - 161 days)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba - 7 days)
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean - 8 days)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam - 14 days)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii - 15 days)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas - 14 days)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean - 7 days)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia - 14 days)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean - 10 days)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England - 9 days)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada - 14 days)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico - 14 days)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska - 7 days)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas - 4 days)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)

1,749 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Any insights how to find this GOOD HARDWORKING HONEST TA who specializes on WC?.
Since we are not allowed to name TAs here on CC, you should ask experienced cruisers you meet on your next cruise, (especially those who have been on long cruises); and then analyze their advice.
You could also ask on TripAdvisor, where there are entire threads on cruise TAs recommended by others. You have to discern which recommendations are genuine and which are posted by the TAs themselves (or their employees).
Self advertising is also banned on TripAdvisor, but genuine advice is allowed in the forums.
Toronto
1,683 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
The Oceania incident that Wendy referred to was their inaugural world cruise in 2015 - about 5 weeks before the cruise the ship had a engine fire while docked in St Lucia. Once the ship was repaired it sailed empty to Singapore missing the first 71 days of the 180 day voyage but continued from there. My wife and I and many others scheduled to be on the 2015 voyage switched to the 2016 voyage and a passenger did pass away on a sea day after Madagascar. While on the 2016 voyage another passenger had a friend on the HAL w/c- they reported several deaths in the first month.

Besides the death, there were other injuries and passengers being victims on crimes along the way which can happen on any cruise.

We also had one passenger that instead of taking complaints to the GM, thought the best way to communicate his displeasure was to yell, scream and demean staff - he got kicked off part way through a 180 day voyage.
Toronto, Dunedin FL and Ottawa Valley
14,829 Posts
Joined May 2001
Originally posted by Waynetor
The Oceania incident that Wendy referred to...

We also had one passenger that instead of taking complaints to the GM, thought the best way to communicate his displeasure was to yell, scream and demean staff - he got kicked off part way through a 180 day voyage.
Good! Glad to see the staff had the gumption to do this. We once had a guy who was staying in the Owner's Suite on Regent Voyager who was obviously at least verbally abusing his wife, a "captain of industry" sort, and who got belligerent one night and clocked another passenger, punching him in the face and knocking him down. Luckily for him, it was almost the end of the cruise, so he only had to stay locked up in his (very expensive) cabin for one night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Seabourn Quest Canada, September 2018
⚓Past Cruises:

Paul Gauguin Cook Islands & Societies, October 2017
Seven Seas Mariner, Miami-Lima, January 2017
Azamara Journey, Rome-Rome, September 2016
Uniworld Egypt, River Tosca, October 2015
Paul Gauguin 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2014
Oceania Riviera, Nov. 2013
Seven Seas Navigator, Dec. 2006, Alaska May 2012