Sailing Past Head Light Lighthouse?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:32 PM.
Fl
993 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Does anyone know if cruise ships sail past the Head Light Lighthouse when pulling into or out off Portland. I think it would be a different picture of it from sea instead of land. If not, maybe some of the other lighthouses in the area?

If it makes a difference, we’ll be arriving from Boston and leaving heading to Bar Harbor.

Thanks

Don
Maine or at sea
13,928 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Yes, this is one of the things I recommend all the time, as opposed to getting on a bus or taxi for the 20 minute ride to Fort Williams Park to see the Head Light. About 45 minutes prior to docking time (and you can ask real nice at guest services the night before if they could call the bridge and confirm) would be best to be on deck, on port side. The ship sails close by the Head and you get a totally different perspective from most stock photos. You can also likely see Rams Ledge light on the other side of the ship (starboard), which is a stone lighthouse from 1905 built on a tiny ledge of rock, with a rickety pier as access. Going out you'll sail close by, but it may be dusk or dark by then. You can also see Spring Point Light and Bug Point Light (Portland Breakwater Light) on the port side as you enter the harbor itself, both are very short, unimpressive lighthouses.
Fl
993 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Great, thanks for the responses. We actually have an aft cabin so I hope to get some great photos.

Don
160 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by Dcoy
Great, thanks for the responses. We actually have an aft cabin so I hope to get some great photos.

Don
We also have an aft cabin for our 9/16 cruise on the Serenade. Hoping to get some great shots, probably still in my jammies. 😏
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
9/2018. RCI Serenade: Canada/New England
12/2013. HAL Westerdam Eastern Caribbean
4/2007. RCI Serenade Panama Canal
7/2006. RCI Empress Bermuda
6/2004. RCI Voyager Western Caribbean
8/1998. RCI Rhapsody Alaska
Maine or at sea
13,928 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
In my opinion, the best shots would be when the ship is almost abreast of the light, and you may not get as good a shot with the ship going away, if trying from an aft balcony. Even going to a forward observation area, will give better shots (with Cushing Island, South Portland, and the Portland skyline in the background) than from an aft looking back towards the light and just ocean in the background.
Fl
993 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by chengkp75
In my opinion, the best shots would be when the ship is almost abreast of the light, and you may not get as good a shot with the ship going away, if trying from an aft balcony. Even going to a forward observation area, will give better shots (with Cushing Island, South Portland, and the Portland skyline in the background) than from an aft looking back towards the light and just ocean in the background.
Thanks for the info. I may forward and my wife can stay on the balcony. We can cover the opertunity at both angles.

Don
Fl
993 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Tillie43
We also have an aft cabin for our 9/16 cruise on the Serenade. Hoping to get some great shots, probably still in my jammies. 😏
We’re on the Serenade 9/17 next year. Let us know how your photos turn out.

Don
Maine
2,176 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
Agree... if you pass close to dawn all of your photos will have the sunrise in the background. Your best photos will be shots facing west. There should still be daylight at sail away in September. The reverse will be true. Be on the bow for pictures then as the sun will be behind you.
Charleston SC
2,491 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Spring Point light is much better from land if taking pics is the goal. Having the rock jetty leading out to it makes a nice photo.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
This message sent using a piece of fruit.
Denmark
2,290 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
I did not see the lighthouse when we arrived into Portland in the morning. In the afternoon when we left Portland bound for Bar Harbor we did sail towards south and did see the lighthouse on our Starboard side before heading north.
This the best I could do with my mobile.
Anthem of the Seas Cruise September 22, 2016.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise blog mogenshallas.com - email: [email protected]
RCCL Diamond Plus and Celebrity Captain's Club Elite member

Past cruises: 25 RCCL and 4 Celebrity - 22 ships and 110 Ports - Two future cruises. Voyager of the Seas from Singapore to Hong Kong and Jewel of the Seas from Rome to Dubai.
Sovereign of the Seas, East Caribbean Nov 1996; Enchantment of the Seas, West Caribbean Feb 1999; Splendour of the Seas, Brazil and Rio Carnival Feb 2001; Adventure of the Seas, East Caribbean Mar 2004; Rhapsody of the Seas, West Caribbean Mar 2005; Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal Mar 2006; Jewel of the Seas,East Caribbean Feb 2007; Brilliance of the Seas, Hawaii Oct 2007; Voyager of the Seas, Mediterranean Nov 2008; Legend of the Seas, Asia Feb 2009; Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean Feb 2010; Briliance of the Seas, Suez Canal and Dubai Jan 2011; Vision of the Seas, 3 nights Berlin Cruise from Copenhegen June 2011; Serenade of the Seas, 7 night from San Juan, February 2012; Vision of the Seas, 4 night St Petersburg from Stockholm, June 2012; Celebrity Millennium, 14 Nt Gems of Southeast Asia from Singapore, Jan 2013. Liberty of the Seas, Western Mediterranean from Barcelona; April 2013, Vision of the Seas, Norwegian Fjords from Copenhagen, June 2013; Celebrity Xpedition, Galapagos itinerary B, November 2013; Celebrity Reflection, Eastern Caribbean, March 2014; Legend of the Seas, Baltic Cruise, June 2014; Quantum of the Seas, TA Maiden Voyage, Nov. 2014; Quantum of the Seas, 12 Nt. Southern Caribbean, Jan 2015; Anthem of the Seas, 3 Nt Royal Cruise from Southampton, April 2015; Splendor of the Seas, 7 Nt. Greek Isles & Turkey, Nov 2015; Celebrity Equinox, 11 Nt.Ultimate Caribbean Feb. 2016; Anthem of the Seas, 9 Nt.Canada and New England, Sept. 2016; Legend of the Seas farewell , 23 Nt. from Singapore to Barcelona, March 2017. Hurtigruten Midnight Sun June 2017. Serenade Wetern Caribbean November 2017, Uniworld River Cruise April 2018.
Massachusetts
602 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
I would also recommend Portland Discovery Tours’ Lighthouse Discovery Tour. I got beautiful pictures of islands, Casco Bay and lots of lighthouses! I learned quite a bit about the area. Highly recommended, only $25 for 90 minutes, and it is very near the pier. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...and_Maine.html
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Peace!
Des...

Norwegian Dawn 8/25/2017 Boston to Bermuda Norwegian Dawn 9/2/2016 Boston to Bermuda
Norwegian Dawn 10/2/2015 Quebec City to Boston Norwegian Jade 4/12/2014 Western Mediterranean
Norwegian Dawn 9/16/2011 Boston to Bermuda Norwegian Spirit 8/27/2010 Boston to Bermuda
Norwegian Spirit 8/28/2009 Boston to Bermuda Ruby Princess 5/4/2009 Grand Mediterranean
Carnival Sensation 8/31/2008 Bahamas Carnival Destiny 8/26/2007 Southern Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 8/26/2006 Western Caribbean

118 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by hallasm
I did not see the lighthouse when we arrived into Portland in the morning. In the afternoon when we left Portland bound for Bar Harbor we did sail towards south and did see the lighthouse on our Starboard side before heading north.
This the best I could do with my mobile.
Anthem of the Seas Cruise September 22, 2016.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
What a lovely shot! I hope to be as lucky on our cruise in October...thank you for sharing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jodi (Scrappycruiser)
Denmark
2,290 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by ScrappyCruiser
What a lovely shot! I hope to be as lucky on our cruise in October...thank you for sharing.
Thank you - enjoy your cruise - you might find some inspiration in my Anthem New England and Canada Cruise Review.
The Lighthouse at 2:52 in my video.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise blog mogenshallas.com - email: [email protected]
RCCL Diamond Plus and Celebrity Captain's Club Elite member

Past cruises: 25 RCCL and 4 Celebrity - 22 ships and 110 Ports - Two future cruises. Voyager of the Seas from Singapore to Hong Kong and Jewel of the Seas from Rome to Dubai.
Sovereign of the Seas, East Caribbean Nov 1996; Enchantment of the Seas, West Caribbean Feb 1999; Splendour of the Seas, Brazil and Rio Carnival Feb 2001; Adventure of the Seas, East Caribbean Mar 2004; Rhapsody of the Seas, West Caribbean Mar 2005; Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal Mar 2006; Jewel of the Seas,East Caribbean Feb 2007; Brilliance of the Seas, Hawaii Oct 2007; Voyager of the Seas, Mediterranean Nov 2008; Legend of the Seas, Asia Feb 2009; Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean Feb 2010; Briliance of the Seas, Suez Canal and Dubai Jan 2011; Vision of the Seas, 3 nights Berlin Cruise from Copenhegen June 2011; Serenade of the Seas, 7 night from San Juan, February 2012; Vision of the Seas, 4 night St Petersburg from Stockholm, June 2012; Celebrity Millennium, 14 Nt Gems of Southeast Asia from Singapore, Jan 2013. Liberty of the Seas, Western Mediterranean from Barcelona; April 2013, Vision of the Seas, Norwegian Fjords from Copenhagen, June 2013; Celebrity Xpedition, Galapagos itinerary B, November 2013; Celebrity Reflection, Eastern Caribbean, March 2014; Legend of the Seas, Baltic Cruise, June 2014; Quantum of the Seas, TA Maiden Voyage, Nov. 2014; Quantum of the Seas, 12 Nt. Southern Caribbean, Jan 2015; Anthem of the Seas, 3 Nt Royal Cruise from Southampton, April 2015; Splendor of the Seas, 7 Nt. Greek Isles & Turkey, Nov 2015; Celebrity Equinox, 11 Nt.Ultimate Caribbean Feb. 2016; Anthem of the Seas, 9 Nt.Canada and New England, Sept. 2016; Legend of the Seas farewell , 23 Nt. from Singapore to Barcelona, March 2017. Hurtigruten Midnight Sun June 2017. Serenade Wetern Caribbean November 2017, Uniworld River Cruise April 2018.
Sunny AZ
24,584 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by hallasm
Thank you - enjoy your cruise - you might find some inspiration in my Anthem New England and Canada Cruise Review.
The Lighthouse at 2:52 in my video.
Great video! Thank you for sharing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ginny

My Bucket List Cruises:
British Isles - Ireland Booked September 2018!
Alaska with My Hubby - Booked! May 2019
Northeast/Canada Fall Colors -Booked! October 2019!
Japan/Asia
Italy & Greek Islands
European River Cruise
Australia/Tahiti
Hawaii - again!

Baltics with London pre-cruise

Happy Memories...
Big Red Boat 06/93 (Bahamas)~ Explorer of the Seas 06/05 (Western Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas 04/06 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Monarch of the Seas 12/06 (Baja Mexico) ~ Monarch of the Seas 04/07 (Baja Mexico) ~ Golden Princess 01/08 (Mexican Riviera) ~ Explorer of the Seas 04/08 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Caribbean Princess 05/09 (Southern Caribbean) ~ Radiance of the Seas 09/09 (Cabo San Lucas) ~ Mariner of the Seas 05/10 (Mexican Riviera) ~ Carnival Spirit 07/10 (Alaska) ~ NCL Pride of America 05/11 (Hawaii)~ Allure of the Seas 04/13 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas B2B 05/14 (Southern Caribbean) ~ Oasis of the Seas 05/15 (Western Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas 10/15 (Panama Canal) ~ Harmony of the Seas 10/16 (Spain/Transatlantic) ~ Freedom of the Seas 10/17 (Italy/Spain/Transatlantic)

Are you an Arizona Cruiser? Come Join The Fun! "Never Ending Circle of Friends"