LIVE From the Jewel of the Seas 5 - 14 April 2012

Good Morning Everyone,

It is still dark here in Palm Coast, FL and I am busy with final preparations for our departure for the Port of Tampa, FL later this morning.

Judith and I will be doing a 4-night and a 5-night Back-to-Back on the Jewel starting tomorrow.

Jewel4Night.gifJewel5Night.gif

2012AprJewelItinerary.jpg

We will be spending the night at the Hampton Inn Tampa-International Airport / Westshore tonight. They provide free parking for up to 14 days and will take us to the Port tomorrow morning in a shuttle. We will have to hire a taxi when we debark for the trip back to the hotel to pick up the JudithMobile for the trip home.

This will be the first time for Judith on a Radiance Class Ship. So far we have sailed together on the Freedom, Oasis, and Allure.

When we married last July, Judith was awarded my Diamond Plus C&A Status.

We are looking forward to meeting CC'ers from our Roll Call and other C&A members on the ship.

My last cruise on the Jewel was about three years ago on a Partial Transit of the Panama Canal with my former wife, Carol, who died almost two years ago.

Jewel-04.jpg

Judith and I both lost spouses but we are lucky to have found each other and we are able to talk openly and easily about our times with our former spouses.

Here is a photo of Carol and I on the Jewel three years ago with the Hotel Director who was a great guy! I can't recal his name and am wondering if he is still on the Jewel.

DSCN8840.jpg

I have had some recent health problems that are explained on the thread below but I am doing better now and on the South Beach Diet. So far I have lost 49 pounds.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1606166

I had hoped to board the ship weighing less than 280 but I didn't make it. My weight this morning was 281, down from 330. My target is 220 so I still have a long way to go and lots of new (skinny guy) clothes to buy!

That's all for now.

I will post later on this afternoon or evening from the hotel in Tampa and then start the "Live Report" Thursday once we are settled in on the ship.

I have had some recent health problems that are explained on the thread below but I am doing better now and on the South Beach Diet. So far I have lost 49 pounds.

I had hoped to board the ship weighing less than 280 but I didn't make it. My weight this morning was 281, down from 330. My target is 220 so I still have a long way to go and lots of new (skinny guy) clothes to buy!

10 days on a cruise ship can me tough to continue to lose. Perhaps your going to try and stay steady? I lost 70 pounds prior to my Navigator 5 day and felt good only gaining 3 pounds, but I think that was getting stuck at FLL airport for a day where I gained most of it. Good luck. I think on Oasis for 7 days I also gained 3 pounds.

Trainman: You and Judith have a very safe drive to Tampa, and so looking forward to your "LIVE" review. Excited to see how Judith likes the Radiance class. The Solarium is so nice and quiet, and all that glass to watch the ocean go by. We sailed with you on the Jewel . . . had some lovely conversations with you and Carol in the nightly Diamond event.

Good Luck with your weight. One of the ways I maintain my weight on a cruise is to stay away from the bread at meals. I know they are delicious, but I prefer to have the fabulous desserts, so I deny myself the breads!

Where are the puppies staying this trip? Do they get to stay "home alone" and someone comes in, or do they get to go visit the "doggie hotel"?

Good Luck with your weight. One of the ways I maintain my weight on a cruise is to stay away from the bread at meals. I know they are delicious, but I prefer to have the fabulous desserts, so I deny myself the breads!

Agreed, but I'll avoid the bread all day and then get one or two "savory bites" with dinner. But maybe that is why the best I have done is only gain 3 pounds on a 7 day cruise. :o

That's all for now.

I will post later on this afternoon or evening from the hotel in Tampa and then start the "Live Report" Thursday once we are settled in on the ship.

49 pounds is such an accomplishment! Keep up the good work.

We are packed and loaded and as soon as I hit "Submit" I will shut down the computers and we are on our way to Tampa.

But first a wonderful breakfast at the Waffle House at I-95 and US-1.

We have three Wiener Dogs and two Cats now and to cost to board them would be about the same as the cruise. We were lucky to have found a fantastic young man who comes by every day and cleans up, feeds & waters everyone, and gives them some loving play time.

Next post will be from Tampa... :D

I wonder if he is onboard yet? I wonder how long it will take to get his internet setup! (I'm kidding folks!) but looking forward to it as this is his first review where I'm getting on when he is getting off, or should I say leaving?

Archived