Advantages and Disadvantages of cruising Europe vs. doing a tour through Europe

I am researching RCI cruises sailing in Europe and I am worried that the hurried pace won't allow for enough actual time to experience the cultural and historical sights of a country, take Italy for example.

I have been to Europe along time ago, and would love to go back. My family, including my wife, has never been to Europe.

In your opinion would a cruise, on the Serenade or Splendour be more ideal for experienced travelers to Europe?

I am most interested in cruising in places I want to experience, but not necessarily stay in such as the middle east, parts of Asia and Europe. However I would be interested in learning the experiences of others regarding the traditional European capital cities, such as Rome, London, and Paris, to see if it is fulfilling enough.

Depends whether you want to experience a few cities of your choice or do the ship equivalent of "if this is Tuesday, this must be Belgium".

If it were me, I would do the former, not the latter. I basically figure that if you can't spend at least 2 days in a city (preferably more), it is not worth going to the city.

Imagine a tour of the US where you spend 1 day in Boston, 1 in NYC, 1 in Philadelphia, and 1 in Washington. Would it make any sense?

DON

Depends whether you want to experience a few cities of your choice or do the ship equivalent of "if this is Tuesday, this must be Belgium".

If it were me, I would do the former, not the latter. I basically figure that if you can't spend at least 2 days in a city (preferably more), it is not worth going to the city.

Imagine a tour of the US where you spend 1 day in Boston, 1 in NYC, 1 in Philadelphia, and 1 in Washington. Would it make any sense?

DON

You can always go back, but the most important thing is the cost. You pay an amount and you have a cabin and food included. If you do a city alone it's going to cost you much more. I have lived in Europe for 9 years and have seen a lot, so maybe the reason I'm thinking so.

I have done 2 Mediterranean cruises, with a 3rd in July. Can you fully experience a city like Rome in a day? Short answer is no. What you do get is a nice taster of what the cities are like. I would much prefer spending a day in Florence to sitting on some beach in the Caribbean all day.

I have been to Florence and Rome on both the cruises, and there is still plenty more for me to see, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. In a day you can visit most of the usual attractions, but it is definitely a hard day, and I was exhausted after. For that reason I have chosen some alternative excursions in Civitavecchia and Livorno this year.

What is nice about cruises in Europe is the huge variety in the ports. You can go from being in an ancient city in Italy, to the next day somewhere on the beautiful French riviera, with a stunning beach. It is definitely a satisfying experience.

I prefer self guided land vacations in Europe. There are places in Europe, especially in Italy, where you could spend a week and still not see everything. IMHO cruises do not give you enough time to truly experience the things Europe has to offer.

Of course you need time to really see an area, but you can see a lot of incredible stuff if you do the 12 night Serenade Med/Greek Isles cruise. It was my kids' favorite cruise.

It was intense but at the end of each day, we looked forward to our air-conditioned cabin and getting served dinner without having to worry about our bags and money.

Europe is one place I do not see a need to see by cruise ship. The exception would be the Greek Isles since you they're difficult to get to except by ship.

You're limited to port cities or to a 1-3 hour trip one way to get to a city. I can't imagine docking at Le Havre, spending hours on a bus, and then trying to experience Paris in a few hours. I could spend months in Paris and be happy.

Europe is so easily traveled by train or using a cheap airline like RyanAir. To hop cities would be easy and would allow you to spend 2-3 days in each city. But our favorite thing to do is stay a week in an apt or a cottage and then have a couple of side trips during the week. When you stay in apt, you get a better feeling of the country. We love going to grocery stores and seeing the differences between what we get in the US. Each country or region has its own character and you're more steeped in it when you're staying in a residence.

We've also found it's cheaper than a cruise would be to stay in an apartment. As much as I love cruising, this is much more fun for us. I've converted a friend who used to prefer tours.

So my vote is to see it by land. Europe is something to be savored.

I prefer self guided land vacations in Europe. There are places in Europe, especially in Italy, where you could spend a week and still not see everything. IMHO cruises do not give you enough time to truly experience the things Europe has to offer.

That is pretty much true of anywhere you cruise not just in Europe. If you really want to learn about any destination in any depth you will need to spend more time than you will usually have while on a cruise. However, countering that you will at least get a good, basic introduction to several different destinations on a cruise and may, based on those short visits, help you determine which are worth returning to for a longer period of time. One of the advantages of a cruise, for less experienced travelers especially, is being able to visit those several locations without packing and unpacking, checking into and out of different hotels along the way. Being able to use your ship as your hotel and the dining rooms for you daily meals (especially if you are not the adventurous type when it comes to eating foreign foods), can be a comforting factor as can the fact that you are less likely to experience language problems onboard the ship. Cruising isn't for everyone, but then again, not everyone is able or willing to devote extensive time to exploring some locations in the depth that some feel is necessary in order to "truly experience the things that Europe has to offer.

I just got off the Serenade a few days ago. I felt that it was a good way to see quite a few different cities in the region. I equate it to a bus trip across Europe, except that you don't have to unpack/pack each day. It was tiring. Some of the commutes were long. I don't think anyone believes that they can "see it all" in a day (or part of a day), but I found the cruise to be a very reasonably priced way to see the Med.

That is pretty much true of anywhere you cruise not just in Europe. If you really want to learn about any destination in any depth you will need to spend more time than you will usually have while on a cruise. However, countering that you will at least get a good, basic introduction to several different destinations on a cruise and may, based on those short visits, help you determine which are worth returning to for a longer period of time. One of the advantages of a cruise, for less experienced travelers especially, is being able to visit those several locations without packing and unpacking, checking into and out of different hotels along the way. Being able to use your ship as your hotel and the dining rooms for you daily meals (especially if you are not the adventurous type when it comes to eating foreign foods), can be a comforting factor as can the fact that you are less likely to experience language problems onboard the ship. Cruising isn't for everyone, but then again, not everyone is able or willing to devote extensive time to exploring some locations in the depth that some feel is necessary in order to "truly experience the things that Europe has to offer.

You are right but the OP did not seem to want a basic introduction. They said they had been to Europe before and wanted to know if a cruise would be suitable to experience the cultural and historical sights of traditional European capitals such Rome, London & Paris. The short answer to that is no way. I spent almost a full day just wandering around Vatican City. I also spent a good part of a full day exploring the Roman Forum. I spent three days in Paris and could of easily stayed a few more days. Using the ship as your base for daily meals and lodging is going to restrict your movement to the areas close to the ship. You would also be depriving yourself of some excellent dining experiences and really unique places to stay.

Last year we did a seven day cruise on Voyager OTS it of Venice. W flew in a few days early, stayed a few days after, and arranged a long overght layover in Germany. It was a great compromise for us, we got to concentrate some time in Venice, it also got to enjoy the variety of different cruise ports.

Since my DH is a very picky eater and really doesn't like most ethnic food, cruising the Med has made it possible to visit countries that we wouldn't do on a land trip. It is really difficult for us to find food he will eat in some areas, so cruising has been great for us.

I used my Med cruise as a way to get a taste of some cities/areas that I wasn't sure I wanted to visit. I refused to book one that did Rome/Paris/London in a day. Instead, we left from Rome and spent 9 days in Rome before the cruise. It was perfect!

Yes, we were exhausted at the end of each day, but it was worth it.

I do think that you can get a good "flavor" of a place in a day provided that you hire a great guide.

Also, some places are not hours from the city....you just need to choose the right itinerary. The Acropolis in Greece was not far from the ship and Ephesus in Turkey was also close.

A European cruise is great for ports you can do much or all of in a day (Valleta, Taormina, Split, Corfu, Ravenna, Bergen, etc.). Not good at all if you use it to take a long train or bus ride to see Paris, Rome, Berlin, and other cities that merit several days, or if you want to see an entire region or country. It's good for the Baltic/Scandinavia region because it's hard to do a land tour there other than in Norway and Denmark.

We've done both a few times. This summer. a Western Med cruise to see mostly ports new to us, next summer, an Ireland land tour.

Les

I think I agree with the other posts that suggest that if you really want to see more than just the highlights you need to do a land vacation in Europe. Paris, as an example, from the boat might not even give you enough time to climb the Eiffel Tower, and see the Louvre...not to mention the dozens of other sites in the city. After all, the sites you want to see are also the sites everyone else wants to see so they are usually crowded.

We've done both land and cruise trips in Europe, I agree, on land you get a better feel of the culture but with careful planning a cruise can offer a lot to see.

We did a 12 day Med cruise on Brilliance with extended family who had never been to Europe. After lots of research on the boards, we booked private tours in Rome, Florence and Naples. Our driver met us as we got off the ship and got us to all the sights before the tour buses, we typically got closer to sights and they helped us with advance tickets/ reservations for museums and other must see sights. We had the best dining experience ever in a hillside restaurant overlooking Positano, Italy.

Either way you decide to go, expect to be exhausted at the end of each day, at least on the cruise we had a sea day now and then to relax and reflect on the places we'd been. ;)

We just got back from a cruise on the Splendour of the Seas and flew in early to explore Venice a bit more extensively. I fully agree that a land tour will let you experience a bit more of a region. I have been asked by friends basically the same question about cruising in Europe and why I like it so much. I tell them I get a "Readers Digest" version of an area or city and that I now know which places I would like to go back to and investigate a little further and also know which places I really would prefer not to go back to...

I have spent some time in Europe and honestly I would not even consider a European cruise. Even a week in Paris or London or Rome is a short time, and since your wife and family have not been anywhere in Europe, to me a cruise would just be a blur with not a lot to remember.

How does your wife feel about it, does she want to spend time actually seeing cities in Europe, or does she like the idea of the cruise?

There are places I would cruise, and other places I would only tour on land.

JMHO :)

Since my DH is a very picky eater and really doesn't like most ethnic food, cruising the Med has made it possible to visit countries that we wouldn't do on a land trip. It is really difficult for us to find food he will eat in some areas, so cruising has been great for us.

Virtually every town has a McD or an equivalent American fast food place. Your DH can tour through Europe or anywhere else in the world and never have to eat anything but Big Macs.

DON

We have done all kinds of touring Europe. The bus tours were great when we were young. You get to see the countryside and the cities, but it is just a taste. Not long ago we took a Med cruise, which was fabulous. We did private tours in the big cities, but again it was just a taste.

However, our most enjoyable touring has been on river cruises. You see the countryside, get a better taste of the towns you visit, and the food is outstanding. Not too many big cities, but Amsterdam, Budapest, Vienna, Prague, etc are wonderful. Our only problem is that the river cruises are not long enough. It's a great way to travel.

I am researching RCI cruises sailing in Europe and I am worried that the hurried pace won't allow for enough actual time to experience the cultural and historical sights of a country, take Italy for example.

I have been to Europe along time ago, and would love to go back. My family, including my wife, has never been to Europe.

In your opinion would a cruise, on the Serenade or Splendour be more ideal for experienced travelers to Europe?

I am most interested in cruising in places I want to experience, but not necessarily stay in such as the middle east, parts of Asia and Europe. However I would be interested in learning the experiences of others regarding the traditional European capital cities, such as Rome, London, and Paris, to see if it is fulfilling enough.

I got got back from a 12 night European cruise. For me, I picked the cruise that suited my likes, which included embarkation in Venice and debarkation in Barcelona. This allowed us extra time to tour both cities on our own.

As for the stops, choose a cruise that gives you 10-13 hours in port or overnights, as mine did. Do not book cruise ship excursions. We did this in 2 ports and while we don't really regret it, the dynamics of a bus load of people of all sizes, ages and inability to be on time can and will affect your time at attractions. Book private tours or taxi excursions. They are less expensive and you can manipulate them as you wish.

:cool:A cruise to Europe, no matter where is a great overview to determine where and what you want to see later. Went on 12 day med years ago. His Barcelona, Nice, Florence, Rome, Venice, Dubrovnick, Naples. You many never get back so a day in each place is better than nothing.\

Rome - you need three days. Have now been there 3 times. Venice to days. Florence one day. Barcelona one day. France - Paris 3 days, one day to Versaillas (sp). Going on 12 day baltic next year. Still have Ireland and scotland, and eastern Med cruise to go. You cannot do Europe and see everything in once vac. You could take a baltic, eastern Med and Western Med and see a lot. Depends on how much time and money you have:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Euope on a cruise ship is a mixed bag I found if you want to see the flavor of a country it pays to do a land door. What you will get on a cruise is just a taste and can always go back at a later day..

I honestly never thought I would do a European cruise until I found Azamara club cruises which is a destination cruise line actually owned by RCL.. We are doing a Spain cruise where we have two days in Seville, two days in Barcelona and the rest of the cruise has extended days and evenings at the other ports...It was an easy decision to make on booking this cruise since it was destination oriented and spend so much time in each city and had a couple of sea days so we could be refreshed and have some down time to refresh our batteries. I would not say it is totally perfect but it fits the bill for us

I have been traveling back and forth to Europe since the 1970's and I still have not gotten to the point that I feel I have totally experienced all the culture, art, history, architecture, etc. that is has to offer. Most people have only 2-3 weeks at most for a vacation. How much can you experience in that short time frame? My 23 year old daughter landed a teaching job in Florence, Italy when she graduated last May. She's been living in Italy for nearly a year and says she's only skimmed the surface! So my point is, one short vacation to Europe, whether it's by land or by sea, is going to offer you only a sample. If you like cruising, which it appears you do, why not bring your family on a European cruise? Think of it as a cruise vacation that has the wonderful bonus of allowing you a glimpse into more than one European culture, and allows you to see far more than you ever could if you'd chosen a land vacation.

We use European cruises as a way to find out what places we'd like to return to for longer stays. You never know what's going to grab you and what will make you snooze. When we were on the Indy, we went to Lisbon, which neither my husband nor I had ever been to before. We loved it on first sight. Would we have made a special trip to Lisbon if we were doing a land vacation? Probably not. It's a little out of the way. But the Indy brought us there and now we know we must go back. On the other hand, I dreamed of going to Madeira for years and years and when I finally saw it, it wasn't what I expected. I was glad to spend a day there, I enjoyed it, but will I go out of my way to return there, as I would Lisbon? No. If you think of European cruises as a sample plate, you will be satisfied.

Archived