Princess Australian Itineraries

I wish Princess would start putting a bit more variety into their Australian cruises. You can only do NZ and/or Pacific Islands just so many times. I note that Melbourne get a few round trips which include Kangaroo Island and Adelaide - why can't we get these round trips from Sydney to include those ports. Even if they were to be part off an extended Tasmania cruise it would be better than present. Yes I know can get Adelaide to Melbourne and Melbourne To Adelaide also which includes Kangaroo Island, but I think they could start looking at round trips from Sydney. Surely there would be a market. What do you think?

They do a lot more than just the islands and NZ, they do Wld Coast, PNG, Tas all As round trips. Circumnavigation of Aus, Hawaii round trip, half circ Aus, top and bottom, I’m not sure the can offer that much else and while ever the current itineraries sell out repeatedly they need more capacity to accomodate hem, ad from Sydney that s currently a major hurdle

I have to say, Sydney gets a lot more cruise lines in than else where in Australia, not just princess, I would be very happy with the choice from Sydney..... But Melbourne gets nothing during the middle of year.. Then only two ships do regular return trips, the golden princess and the pacific jewel... and the ferry to Tassie .. And another thing.. not everybody can or likes flying... so you should feel luck Sydney has a lots of options ..

Cheers Don

At the end of the day if you want the better Princess ships and better itineraries, you need to fly to your port of embarkation. Once you have done Australia Circumnavigation, Pacific Islands, PNG, NZ etc, you need to go further afield to the Americas or Europe. If you cannot or don't want to fly, then you are missing out on a lot, I can assure you.:(

Yes. I hear what you are all saying. I have done, South America, Round trip Sydney to Hawaii, Tasmania, PNG, Asia, Pacific, NZ but I still think they can be a bit more inventive. I am sure there would be a market from Sydney to Kangaroo Island etc. just as an example. Yes I know I can go to UK, Baltic, Med etc etc etc All I am suggesting is that a bit of variety here would be of benefit to us all.

At the end of the day if you want the better Princess ships and better itineraries, you need to fly to your port of embarkation. Once you have done Australia Circumnavigation, Pacific Islands, PNG, NZ etc, you need to go further afield to the Americas or Europe. If you cannot or don't want to fly, then you are missing out on a lot, I can assure you.:(

Yep but when flying is out you make do best you can.

What would nice it Princess did more circumnavigation of Australia, as they seam to sell out quickly..... yes I know it leave from Sydney... but it is on the bucket list.

Cheers Don

It was on our bucket for ages, did it loved it, hoping to do it again, with a few different ports, in the not to distant future.

I believe a couple of factors are in play here. First the size of Australia provides a big challenge to the cruise lines, sea days are costly and as others have said, having to run 3 days at sea on a 7 day cruise, without it being a one way cruising. While many may think Princess makes more money on sea days, it really doesn't. The running cost of the fuel more than eats up any added bar profit. Also staffing costs, and food costs because everyone is on the ship.

The second factor here is (again others have posted this too) Princess Ships are sailing full, they need more capacity just to cover the routes. The cruise lines are still developing the market so the goal is to bring many new to cruising onto the ships. That is why they do so many short cruises, and short cruises means repeating ports.

As the market grows the capacity will also grow and longer cruises to give more and different ports.

Yes. I hear what you are all saying. I have done, South America, Round trip Sydney to Hawaii, Tasmania, PNG, Asia, Pacific, NZ but I still think they can be a bit more inventive. I am sure there would be a market from Sydney to Kangaroo Island etc. just as an example. Yes I know I can go to UK, Baltic, Med etc etc etc All I am suggesting is that a bit of variety here would be of benefit to us all.

We have booked a Golden Princess cruise from Sydney B2B with a cruise Melbourne - Kangaroo Island - Melbourne. Not quite a return to Sydney, but near enough. ;) This cruise departs Sydney on 25 Oct 2019.

I actually think Princess and P&O have the most diverse itineraries of any lines operating here. There's some repetition as there has to be, but there's also a lot of variety.

While such an itinerary would suit some, it would also mean taking away a different itinerary. I don't think there's overwhelming demand for such an itinerary that makes it better than alternatives.

There could be an argument for the opposite view , in that if the cruise ships set up regular ,year round , ports of call , tours and traders could set themselves up to cater to the demand rather than trying to cope with an onslaught of customers on a one day wonder call ,followed by weeks /months of no calls.

I think that the reason Australian itineraries are fairly limited is due to two things.

Firstly, passengers generally hate tendering.

Secondly, there are very few suitable docks in the region. Which is why Vila and Noumea get such heavy workouts.

I would like to see more tender ports like Nuie and Tonga. If someone offered a cruise from Brisbane or Sydney to the Cook Islands, I'd grab it for sure.

There is talk of upgrading the ports at places like Coffs Harbour and Eden. You would think there might be some potential for similar things at King Island and Flinders Island or even Ceduna.

Edited by SinbadThePorter