Review - My Carnival Cruise from... Paradise

Curt Jerome Wild

Great review. Interesting that your steward 'customized' your towel animal repertoire -- I'd assumed every cabin got exactly the same animal on a given night. The novelty's worn off for us at this point, so we left our steward a note telling her not to bother if it would save her time, but they kept coming. Don't know if they have to do it, or if they're so fast at it that it takes them no time whatsoever...

Just a quick answer for you as I see you're still online...

I totally think Paradise (or Elation from San Diego now) would be a great buddy turning 21 cruise...

(I'm an expert, sailing since I was a kid, so been there done that several times)...

Here's the deal...

Pride (which is an "artistic" ship) and the other Spirit Class ships like it, don't have the best nightlife...

Major reason is that the design is bad for that.

The nightclub/danceclub is in the basement/boonies, and all of the clubs are really far away from each other...

So, it washes out any energy of the people for the nightlife...

Fantasy Class ships (like Paradise or Elation) have all the clubs on the same floor in the same area...

So, people go "club hopping" from one lounge, to the live band lounge, to the disco, to the pizza station for quick snacks energy, etc.

And it just kind of snowballs from there...

That being said, YES, absolutely on that one night (which I've experienced several times before) it was going until 5 AM!

But, they stay open according to the crowd, so it happens.

The first night, like I said in my review, it probably closed at 2 PM.

Hope that helps...

More info later.

CJW

yea it really helped

thanks for all the info the review and the caper scans.

Sorry, the boards totally SUCK for us on the west coast at this hour...

I wrote a big long thing for you, and it's gone now...

So quickly for now...

Pizza and Room service I get late the night before and stick in ziplock type freezer bags and stick on ice (either in my fridge in Cat 11 or 12) or in my cooler filled with ice like this time.

Then, it's there ready to go and good for me for the morning...

Maitre'D, they're changing before you get there, so I don't know...

Currently there's two because there's 2 dining rooms...

Elvis Brkyacic and Jean-Pierre...

Both great, but I prefer Jean-Pierre, because he sings and croons (very well) old 40s tunes once in a while during dinner

"Whoot whoot" (makes sense if you get him)...

CJW

Thanks! Was Jean-Pierre in your DR (I'll also have 8:00 dining, guaranteed because I'll be platinum!)? I'm familiar with Elvis, I guess he'll be off when I get there?

Hey fool, how's it goin'? Jojo and I are undergoing major cruise withdrawal, and your review gives us flashbacks!

Much fun was indeed had hanging out with the legendary CJW on this cruise, and the review is more in-depth than I could ever imagine coming close to in my forthcoming review.

Jo and I spoke briefly with Elvis on the last night and he said he'll be moving on to Freedom, but didn't say when.

Time for a nap, but there's more to talk about when I return!

Thanks CJW for a GREAT review! I love reading your posts, and after reading this one I'm even more excited to go next month. I wish I could have gone on your sailing and met you. You sound like you are so much fun.

One question for you - where is that secret door you mentioned???

Okay, so this is going to be an extremely detailed version of getting to the "Secret Door" on Paradise, but it will also apply to all other Fantasy Class ships as well...

Save this to your favorites people, as I'm providing a printable map at the end...:D

Step one...

Front door of the lounge...

2658080280079337728rmAGat_th.jpg

Look forward towards the stage and go around the stairs either right or left, in this case we're going to the right (Starboard)

2210384410079337728ElgzOL_th.jpg

Countinue around to the closest between the very edge of the stage and the front row of the "couches"

2719850320079337728DhhsKZ_th.jpg

Keep going forward, although it doesn't look like there's much there...

2058051310079337728EkwgDa_th.jpg

...continuing

Crew door to the left, don't go in here...

2665560320079337728xtFiEL_th.jpg

View to the right for perspective, handle is right there below you...

2353936250079337728VEqZPr_th.jpg

Go through, and there will be a second door, that protects the showroom from getting gusts of wind from the deck...

2272450910079337728hyczkV_th.jpg

Through the secret door, keep going forward...

2268491650079337728pdbzKr_th.jpg

Keep going and make a little curve...

2224544550079337728AZlIKH_th.jpg

...and you're on the deck!

Hopefully you have it all to yourself...

2029918130079337728aptLJY_th.jpg

Look at the Starboard view...

2664318760079337728SwpYiG_th.jpg

Look at the Port side view...

2224673540079337728rcFnks_th.jpg

Go very forward, and look down over the "railing"...

It's the crew working during sailaway!

Ring the bell Mr. Crew Guy! (And he did!)

2097347550079337728NJYjfH_th.jpg

Finally, yes, I love having this deck all to myself...

2180762700079337728gMAqab_th.jpg

So here is my Marauder's Map for the secret door...

This will work for all Fantasy Class ships...

It will print out about 5x7 (although you could set it for larger)...

Bear in mind, the lounge is not always open, so you have to check during times when it is on your particular cruise...

Enjoy and have fun...

2868301310079337728rWFZXW_th.jpg

CJW:D ;) :cool:

PS You know that for any of these pictures in my review, click on them and they will take you to a larger version...

Day One:

Now it’s sailaway, so I check to see if the main showroom is open to get to the secret door…

And it is, and no one is there…

So, I get through there, and have this deck to myself for sailaway!

Where is the secret door?????:rolleyes:

Day One:

Now it’s sailaway, so I check to see if the main showroom is open to get to the secret door…

And it is, and no one is there…

So, I get through there, and have this deck to myself for sailaway!

Where is the secret door?????:rolleyes:

Nevermind:D I read further down!

:D:D Thanks for the great review!! im going to be going for my 21st bday celebration on the 8th(my bday is on the 6th so ill be able to drink)

and your review was very helpful and humerous!

Wish my work would send me on a cruise to get work done, they just send me to my desk :(

I wish I'd known about the Secret Door on my Fantasy & Elation cruises! :(

One of the best things about our Empress cruise was that there were deck areas at the front of the cabin decks that were only accessible through small doors. There was rarely anyone out there. There were even deck chairs. We spent an entire day out there reading in the sun. It was like having a private ship all to ourselves. We'd take turns going to get cool drinks and bringing back a plate of something to munch on. It was glorious!

One of my only complaints about the Carnival ships (other than the little Jubilee) is the lack of areas to stretch out and relax if you want to get away from the crowds by the pools. I want a lounge chair by the railing away from everyone where I can sit, read, relax, watch the horizon, whatever.

Great, great review. Thanks so much!

• 1 year later...
  • 8 years later...

Curt - in case you ever return here, I just want to say thanks for the review. Very funny and easy to read... and I've already been on this cruise on the Inspiration last year and Imagination in about a week. I'll try to remember to look for that secret door. This all started when I was looking up henna review, saw your response on that thread where you had a link to this one.

• 1 month later...
Debarkation Day...:mad:

9:45 AM!:eek:

Knock, knock!

Nelson: "Mr. Curt! Wake up! Last call!"

Me: "Waking up now Nelson, thanks!" (all this through the closed door)

I jump up, put on the debarking clothes, double check the cabin to see if I forgot anything…

Carry on, rolling suit case and re-fixed back pack in hand.

Elevators for second time…

No line.

Bing bing, final sail and sign card for security so they know I’m debarking…

Tiny line for customs (customs form as well as major comment card for naming all of the crew who did such a great job filled out)…

10 minutes, and I’m in my car, driving back home.

Munched on a slice of De Chevre and a slice of Marguerita pizza for breakfast on the way home…

AND, I have several slices of pizza in freezer bags in my freezer for whenever I get PCD!

(Ahhh, the benefits of sailing from your hometown cruise port)…

Okay, that’s it for now…

I will add more and do specific food reports on the Foodie Board (to attach to and from here), and fashion report on the Fashion Board (to attach to and from here) later with more specifics for those of you who are interested.

I will also update later (gotta find the info I wrote down) Capers scans, and info on CD, Maitre’Ds, etc.

Hope you vicariously enjoyed!:D

CJW

Hey Curt,

Can you answer a few questions? First, does the Paradise still have the Mongolian Wok for lunch? Also, what was the charge for the sushi? Reference the deli, do they still hand make all the sandwiches or are they on the "NEW" Carnival deli menu were everything is already prepared?

Thanks.....JD

Debarkation Day...:mad:

Reference the deli, do they still hand make all the sandwiches or are they on the "NEW" Carnival deli menu were everything is already prepared?

Thanks.....JD

Just off the Paradise last month and they still hand make the sandwiches at the Deli.