Carnival Splendor transferring to P&O

tidecat

The latest cruise I could find open for booking on Carnival Splendor was the December 1, 2018 Long Beach-Hawaii Carnival Journeys cruise. Does Carnival make it an Australian cruise after that to get it drydock, or does it go into drydock immediately and begin service for P&O thereafter?

Splendor's last drydock was this year. She should be due for some maintenance.

It will be interesting to see if P&O names her "Pacific Splendor" or comes up with a completely different name.

Well, Long Beach is going to have an opening in late 2019. The only ships larger than Splendor are the Dream and Vista classes. The Conquest class ships are 3000 GT smaller, but only have 32 fewer berths.

Keep in mind Carnival will have new ships in 2020 and 2022 in addition to Vista 3.

Sent from John Heald's eye phone.

What class is the new build? Could this potentially be a west coast ship with all the other new builds in the next few years going to the east coast? I can't imagine expansion of Long Beach to just serve the Splendor temporarily and 2 fantasy class ships .

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I loved the Splendor. Everybody keeps talking about how pink it is. I just didn't see it. I saw a beautiful ship. I loved the retracting dome over the main pool. I have only sailed her once to Bermuda in May of this year and found her to be a lovely ship.

Funny Carnival stole it from Costa and now they are stealing a boat from P O to replace it.

Wonder if it will get an extensive refurb to remove all the pink.

It was inevitable to leave the fleet, even though they went out of their way to say it would never happen.

It's the only Concordia Class ship in the Carnival fleet.

Funny, We just saw the Splendor docked next to us on the Triumph in Cozumel.

I told DH that it was the next ship we'd be getting in Long Beach our closest to home port!

Now I see she'll only be here for a very short time before going on to Australia.

Not sure they'll give us a large shiny new ship as they've always said the California market cannot fill those cabins but I guess we'll soon find out??:eek:

Same guy who SWORE it would NEVER happen.

From JH

Name: Hank------------

Message: John. You have been caught!! You are on Cruise Critic now ??? There are posts by someone called Tidecat that says he is posting from “ John Heald’s Eye Phone” Only you call it that so I guess your cover is blown you --------head ROFLMAO.

another great advertisement for these boards.

I also think it's hard to get ships to sail full from California. Princess doesn't seem to have that problem, but Carnival sure does. Different demographic? I'd be very surprised if we got even a Conquest class ship on the west coast due to the number of available berths. My biggest fear would be a Fantasy class ship taking over the Mexican Riviera cruises with a seasonal ship cruising through the Panama Canal for Hawaii. I love the Fantasy class, but not for longer cruises.

Although the ^%#&^%# once-a-day cleaning is being "tried out" on the Splendor, I'll have to book a MR cruise on her for old time's sake before she goes. Pepto Bismol pink, here we come!

I think Princess has a really strong reputation in California. They are definitely the dominant player. It may be because of the reputation made by the Love Boat...they always sailed out of LA in the show. So maybe the Princess demographics combined with reputation?

Sent from Tapatalk

I just cant imagine Carnival tripling th size/making huge investment in Long Beach only to have a couple small fantasy class ships. There is obviously go into be something to replace the Splendor and Miracle.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This was not sent from JH's eye phone. This guy is a fake.

I am not John Heald. I guess I should change my signature to something else; on another board I actually set it once to "This is not a signature", which was fun for a while.

I never had a Galaxy Note 7 either.