Immigration Issues in Maputo on Nautica 10 Dec 2018

The-Inside-Cabin

That's good to know. Buys us more time to make a decision.

Here is my personal opinion.

I like to visit as many countries and places as I can. You may or may not have another opportunity to visit Mozambique again. Why not take this opportunity to do so. As you have been warned about potential dangers you can now take needed precautions.

We visited Mozambique (and Maputo) on a land trip out of South Africa and had no problems at all. We enjoyed our visit and took in what this country had to offer.

I would not have missed it for anything unless the situation was as bad as it is now in Syria or Afghanistan - and Maputo is nothing like that.

JMO.

I like to visit as many countries and places as I can. You may or may not have another opportunity to visit Mozambique again. Why not take this opportunity to do so. As you have been warned about potential dangers you can now take needed precautions.

We visited Mozambique (and Maputo) on a land trip out of South Africa and had no problems at all. We enjoyed our visit and took in what this country had to offer.

I would not have missed it for anything unless the situation was as bad as it is now in Syria or Afghanistan - and Maputo is nothing like that.

JMO.

We felt the same way. Very slight chance of ever getting back to Mozambique. I bought a simple caftan from a woman sewing in her stall at the FEIMA market and will always remember exactly where I bought it,

JMO.

I agree with you. I have stayed many months in Mozambique because of my work and I think it is worth a visit. I hope the visa issues do not deter cruisers from making their own experience.

Ivi

Been there, done that. Would never go back. I have visited several other countries in Africa and this is the only one I would not go back to.

Thanks for your opinion. Can you tell us why do you think so? Have you been in Maputo only? Do you know Bazaruto and Bengueira islands?

Ivi

JMO.

I appreciate your opinion. Our decision for going off the ship will be based on whether immigration goes smoothly ... not for any other reasons, We’ve done our research and have plans in place to explore Maputo. But our port call is a short one to begin with, and if we are delayed getting off the ship for any significant length of time as has happened earlier this year with many different cruise lines, it may or may not be worth it to us.

I appreciate your opinion. Our decision for going off the ship will be based on whether immigration goes smoothly ... not for any other reasons, We’ve done our research and have plans in place to explore Maputo. But our port call is a short one to begin with, and if we are delayed getting off the ship for any significant length of time as has happened earlier this year with many different cruise lines, it may or may not be worth it to us.

Let’s hope that things work out well for you.

Thanks for your opinion. Can you tell us why do you think so? Have you been in Maputo only? Do you know Bazaruto and Bengueira islands?

Ivi

I have been to Maputo only and realize that this was not the best spot to judge the country. The part that I rally disliked was the hawkers. They were more persistent here than the other countries and kept invading my personal space

Edited by no fuss travel
spelling error

Nautica just stopped there two days ago. Maybe someone will chime in and let us know how immigration went.

Crystal just did same and according to people on board it went very smooth as the immigration did not do a face to face and just let the ship issue the visas.

JMO.

My concern with Maputo is the numerous reports that the local police are participants in the various scams. I will be there in March on the Amsterdam, and we will go ashore and see what happens.

I rather not travel to countries where there is no authority that can be trusted.

My concern with Maputo is the numerous reports that the local police are participants in the various scams. I will be there in March on the Amsterdam, and we will go ashore and see what happens.

I rather not travel to countries where there is no authority that can be trusted.

In a case like that you might just want to take a cruise line sponsored tour which will offer you a fair amount of safety and security vs going to town on your own.

Only you can decide what makes you most comfortable and that is what you should do.

Nautica just stopped there two days ago. Maybe someone will chime in and let us know how immigration went.

Crystal just did same and according to people on board it went very smooth as the immigration did not do a face to face and just let the ship issue the visas.

After the initial issues and the outcry from the locals, the officials may well have decided to make clearing the ship a lot simpler ... one can only hope.