Formal dress on Oceania Nautica July 18

Racquelle

Racquelle, I see you are new to Cruise Critic. So that does mean you are new to Oceania as well? And perhaps cruising?

It would seem so since Oceania "people" well know that there are no formal nights. Even so, we have great times and lighter luggage weights!

But welcome!

Mura

Racquelle,

You will see a mix of evening attire on Oceania, and I would say that most everyone looks pretty nice.

There are those that really enjoy dressing up and would prefer seeing everyone in formal wear, but thankfully on Oceania there are no traditional "formal" nights.

Also, you will not have tacky photographers interrupting your fine meal or holding everyone up going ashore or returning to the ship.

There are so many wonderful things about Oceania, but I would rather you were nicely surprised!

Please feel free to dress up as much as you like, or not.

For the most part, ladies will wear a dress, skirt or nice slacks and blouse to dinner with nice open-toed or closed shoes.

Men usually wear a nice collared long or short sleeved shirt with dress or casual pants such as Dockers.

Some men will wear jackets depending on the itinerary (not many jackets in the Caribbean)

And as I said, there are those who enjoy wearing formal wear such as a gown or tux.

Oceania got it right, and that's why it is so hard to go back to the other cruise lines once you've sailed on Oceania.

Look at their brochures and that will give you an idea of the type of dress you could expect to see on Oceania throughout the cruise.

(I know you weren't asking WHAT to wear, but this will give you an idea)

I've never been on Nautica, but on the Regatta 3 times and love the smaller ship.

We are going on the Riviera this month also for our 3rd time and as you can tell...we love her too!

Enjoy your cruise!

Look at their brochures and that will give you an idea of the type of dress you could expect to see on Oceania throughout the cruise. (I know you weren't asking WHAT to wear, but this will give you an idea)

Whoa! Encouraging a new-to-Oceania-cruiser to take wardrobe cues from the brochures is misleading unless we provide further explanation. The photographs in those brochures -- or the online Oceania photographs -- represent the dressiest end of a reasonable spectrum of choices. Repeat: Spectrum of reasonable choices.

Go to the Cuisine link on the Oceania website. Now click on the links for Toscanna, Red Ginger, and Jacques. Look at the photographs. The men shown in all those pictures are wearing sports jackets -- no ties -- and the women are wearing dresses just one step down from cocktail dresses. That level of dressiness does not represent the majority of cruisers. In fact, if you look beyond the main group pictured in Red Ginger, you'll see a male diner wearing a what appears to be a long-sleeve shirt with no jacket. That's another fine option for men. In fact, a placket collar Polo-type knit shirt with chinos is an equally fine option. For women, there's an equivalent range. An unstructured jacket -- in contrast to the structured pink jacket shown in the Jacques photo -- is much more common. If you go to the Chico's web site, you'll see the type of clothes that you could wear with confidence you'll be appropriately dressed.

I wish Oceania would populate its photographs with a more honest range of clothes options to spare new cruisers anxiety. Until that happens, I recommend new-to-Oceania cruisers do a search on the many, many threads on this topic.

Does anyone know if there’s a formal nite on this cruise.

OceaniaNautica July 18, 2018

No formal nights. You'll se pax in nice slacks & collared shirts at night & standard wear during the day like you'd see on an line.

At night a fair amount of pax do wear a sport coat when dining in the specialty rest. Especially Jacques(Marina/Riviera)Saw no jeans at night on Riviera except on some 20 something. Jeans are not allowed in the dining venues at night(exception: buffet)Some may say this is untrue, but on Riviera there was a sign outside all dining venues(except buffet) that said NO jeans.

seems like the OP has been on O before in one post she states there is lots of drawer space in a PH

So not sure why she started this thread ??

The question was answered so let's move on

JMO

Whoa! Encouraging a new-to-Oceania-cruiser to take wardrobe cues from the brochures is misleading unless we provide further explanation. The photographs in those brochures -- or the online Oceania photographs -- represent the dressiest end of a reasonable spectrum of choices. Repeat: Spectrum of reasonable choices.

Go to the Cuisine link on the Oceania website. Now click on the links for Toscanna, Red Ginger, and Jacques. Look at the photographs. The men shown in all those pictures are wearing sports jackets -- no ties -- and the women are wearing dresses just one step down from cocktail dresses. That level of dressiness does not represent the majority of cruisers. In fact, if you look beyond the main group pictured in Red Ginger, you'll see a male diner wearing a what appears to be a long-sleeve shirt with no jacket. That's another fine option for men. In fact, a placket collar Polo-type knit shirt with chinos is an equally fine option. For women, there's an equivalent range. An unstructured jacket -- in contrast to the structured pink jacket shown in the Jacques photo -- is much more common. If you go to the Chico's web site, you'll see the type of clothes that you could wear with confidence you'll be appropriately dressed.

I wish Oceania would populate its photographs with a more honest range of clothes options to spare new cruisers anxiety. Until that happens, I recommend new-to-Oceania cruisers do a search on the many, many threads on this topic.

What we saw on Riviera in Jan. was the following 1 tux(gone after the second night)a few pax in sport coats in the GDR. Otherwise just nice slacks & collared shirts. Surprising amount of sport coats worn in specialty rest.(especially Jacques)some with ties (most no tie), like in the brochures. No jeans really to speak of at night except one 20 something. Thee was a sign that said no jeans. This was seen outside all venues except Terrace. Overall, every one was pretty nicely dressed without being over the top or too casual.

We left Riviera on May 25th and never noticed that "no jeans" sign at any restaurant.

I'm NOT saying it wasn't there. We just didn't notice it. Since we never wore jeans to any restaurant at dinner time (well, we probably did so at Terrace) it didn't pertain to us so we might well just not have noticed.

Mura

P.S. I posted elsewhere about a foursome that we saw in Polo early in our cruise who were all wearing "well worn" jeans. No holes, just obviously old. They were more casually dressed than anyone else we saw that night, but clearly were not sent home to change.

We left Riviera on May 25th and never noticed that "no jeans" sign at any restaurant.

I'm NOT saying it wasn't there. We just didn't notice it. Since we never wore jeans to any restaurant at dinner time (well, we probably did so at Terrace) it didn't pertain to us so we might well just not have noticed.

Mura

P.S. I posted elsewhere about a foursome that we saw in Polo early in our cruise who were all wearing "well worn" jeans. No holes, just obviously old. They were more casually dressed than anyone else we saw that night, but clearly were not sent home to change.

This note was on our cruise this past Jan.It was posted outside all the dining venues.(except Terrace) Not sure if it was policy of a C/D or not.

Several possibilities here. We just didn't notice. Or they changed the policy. Or as you suggest, it may have been the CD's decision. Actually, I think it's a good idea to post that sign. This way no one can say, "I didn't know."

We did have a change in CD's mid-cruise for what that is worth ... maybe not much.

Mura

This note was on our cruise this past Jan.It was posted outside all the dining venues.(except Terrace) Not sure if it was policy of a C/D or not.

Several possibilities here. We just didn't notice. Or they changed the policy. Or as you suggest, it may have been the CD's decision. Actually, I think it's a good idea to post that sign. This way no one can say, "I didn't know."

We did have a change in CD's mid-cruise for what that is worth ... maybe not much.

Mura

I’m pretty sure the dress code is not the cds call.

Funny, in 19 Oceania cruises I’ve never seen such a sign, yet Keith saw it on 1.

If it was a decision by anyone on board, it would have been the GM or the F&B manager or the dining room manager. The CD doesn't run the dining operations.

I’m pretty sure the dress code is not the cds call.

I guess we will have to start looking at things more closely

I just wander through the ship & look at things that matter to me

I know I pass the minimum dress code so I do not pay much attention to others unless they really stand out

Like the girl with her designer ripped jeans or the guy with cowboy hat & boots on a hot summer day in the Caribbean :evilsmile:

There are NO formal nights on any Oceania cruise or ship - EVER.

Thank goodness for that :)

We have just come back from a cruise with MARINA from London to London. I agree that there are no formal nights, which I too think is a good thing. However, on this cruise we saw quite a few people at dinner wearing cloths more suitable for a hike than in the GDR or even the speciality restaurants. A little bit more of dressing-up and style would have been suitable in these cases. We also saw jeans, which doesn't bother us, as long as they are nice and well-fitting. Tux and long evening gown would definitely mean to be over-dressed. As this was our sixth cruise with Oceania, it seemed that the dress-code was slightly going down the drain. Or maybe it was just on this cruise?

I wish Oceania would publish photos of what is unacceptable dress for evenings

Then there would be no problem trying to decide what it proper or not

Maybe they are doing that already in the brochures ;)

people take "Casual" to new levels ;)

We didn't really see much violation of the standards on our May cruise on Riviera (other than the two couples in Polo that I have already mentioned). But I've read enough comments here to believe that there is indeed a slipping of standards. Perhaps more enforcement would be the answer.

Mura

Does anyone know if there’s a formal nite on this cruise.

OceaniaNautica July 18, 2018

Hi R,

Welcome to the board.

Oceania is a "Country Club Casual" line.

The most they ask for is that gentlemen wear a jacket at dinner.

You will probably want to join the Roll Call for your voyage.

Enjoy your trip.

Ira