Carry On Luggage Advice

Keith1010

We travel frequently and usually it is independent travel. Physical capabilities was one of the main reasons to go with carry on

Our decision was re-enforced when we first started to spend winters travelling through Thailand/SE Asia and saw many people struggle to lift 25 and even 29 inch bags across ferry decks, over the side of fast ferries. Also in Italy up and down the stairs in train stations or onto train baggage racks. Cruises are typically an add on to our land travels so that this is what we typically end up with on a cruise.

At first we wished we could take more clothes. Now we are thankful that we are restricted because it make our travel and our travel preparations so much easier.

We are doing it both ways lately - I prefer to have carry on only, but once in awhile I splurge on extra stuff, usually toys like extra camera equipment and never shoes, lol. But if we are going to spend any time on land travelling around, then I will happily sacrifice stuff for ease of transit.

iancal, like most things in the end each person will figure out what works best for them.

I only shared what we ended up buying since I started this thread, asked for input, got a lot of input and just wanted everyone to know that the input was appreciated and that I did follow through and got the carry on. In my case I originally asked about a carry on but also got the back pack which meets most airline requirements for a personal bag.

The good news is I am very pleased with both bags.

Keith

I am happy that you are pleased! What are the dimensions of your backpack? We often end up on BA, who have cut the size of the personal item to 6" deep.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't have a specific suggestion of a particular bag, but try looking at ebags.com. They have literally hundreds of styles and brands and you can narrow the search pretty easily to the parameters you want. I looked for a bag a few years ago and my main concern was weight. I recall pretty easily finding a lightweight bag there.

I agree about ebags.com. I bought a great "international" spinner carry-on last year for Europe. European size requirements are sometimes less, and this one was perfect. Two outside pockets, and super lightweight. Get the pockets that are zippered straight across, not curved. You lose space inside the pocket with the curved one.

Also, get ultra-lite, so the suitcase is easier to handle.

I packed for a 15 day European trip, including an 11 night cruise, with this super little suitcase. I love it!