Tricks to getting a good deal on the flight?

Crazy4Camping

You want a deal to Alaska?

Sign up for an Alaska Airlines-branded Signature Visa card (Bank of America) and you'll get 30,000 Alaska miles (good for numerous airlines) and an annual $99 ($121 after taxes/fees) companion certificate. One passenger pays the going price, the other pays $121. It's only good on Alaska metal and only in economy, but it includes any Alaska route - to Alaska, California, Hawaii, Mexico...

So for example say a round trip from DC to Anchorage costs $700. For two pax, the total would be $821, or $410.50 per person. Good enough deal?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/credit-card/visa-signature

Excellent information, thank you Edited by drsel

You want a deal to Alaska?

Sign up for an Alaska Airlines-branded Signature Visa card (Bank of America) and you'll get 30,000 Alaska miles (good for numerous airlines) and an annual $99 ($121 after taxes/fees) companion certificate. One passenger pays the going price, the other pays $121. It's only good on Alaska metal and only in economy, but it includes any Alaska route - to Alaska, California, Hawaii, Mexico...

So for example say a round trip from DC to Anchorage costs $700. For two pax, the total would be $821, or $410.50 per person. Good enough deal?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/credit-card/visa-signature

Thanks for the information!

OK, folks, take a look at these airfare results from Kayak with filters applied to flights with only one stop (no non-stops available) and a departure time on the 24th no earlier than noon. Now, tell me which flight you would select. From what I can see at this point, you have a choice between a good priced airfare but bad flight times, or pay more for a flight with decent times.

From what I can see at this point' date=' you have a choice between a good priced airfare but bad flight times, or pay more for a flight with decent times.[/quote']Well, there's a surprise! Isn't that what the law of supply and demand will tend to produce?

In addition, I've got no idea what you mean by "bad flight times". If I were flying from California to Florida, I'd regard an 0011 arrival as OK, but you may think that just after midnight local time is a "bad" time to arrive.

Well, there's a surprise! Isn't that what the law of supply and demand will tend to produce?

The laws of supply and demand combined with the free market. And since we can't add additional gate capacity, runway capacity, or additional planes, the price goes up.

In addition, I've got no idea what you mean by "bad flight times". If I were flying from California to Florida, I'd regard an 0011 arrival as OK, but you may think that just after midnight local time is a "bad" time to arrive.

It is a subjective opinion depending on what your definition of "normal" is. 0011 arrival doesn't mean mean you are leaving the airport at that time. You have to go through baggage claim first. Most likely, I've skipped the meal on the flight, so I'm likely to grab a bite to eat before hitting the sack. Most restaurants and supermarkets are closed by 11 PM-midnight. Getting a ride from the airport? None of my friends are up past midnight, so it's a shuttle service. By the time I get home or at the hotel, it's already past 1 AM.

• 4 weeks later...

Once again, checking Kayak for a flight "just for fun"... since I'm about 60 days out, and this is actually a decent flight....

Book_now_SMF_to_FLL_910_924_Google_Chrome_2018_07_08_14_55_44.png

While there are lower-priced flights, all have not-so-great times...

Book_now_SMF_to_FLL_910_924_Google_Chrome_2018_07_08_15_00_03.png

In checking the flight that I actually booked....

Book_now_SMF_to_FLL_910_924_Google_Chrome_2018_07_08_15_03_21.png

Moral of the story... when booking your cruise... Step 1: Book your cruise. Step 2: Get travel insurance. Step 3: Get airline tickets.

The laws of supply and demand combined with the free market. And since we can't add additional gate capacity' date=' runway capacity, or additional planes, the price goes up.

It is a subjective opinion depending on what your definition of "normal" is. 0011 arrival doesn't mean mean you are leaving the airport at that time. You have to go through baggage claim first. Most likely, I've skipped the meal on the flight, so I'm likely to grab a bite to eat before hitting the sack. Most restaurants and supermarkets are closed by 11 PM-midnight. Getting a ride from the airport? None of my friends are up past midnight, so it's a shuttle service. By the time I get home or at the hotel, it's already past 1 AM.[/quote']

If traveling on business I am will regularly pick flights that let me do business in the morning leave in the late afternoon early evening. Being based on the west coast that frequently means a late night arrival. Great option if you have left your car at the airport and avoids an extra day on a business trip. If I was going a cruise would I do the same thing? Probably not.