Getting bumped without consent

Got2Cruise

Hi all. For all of our cruises I have always followed the advice of experienced air travelers on CC especially Greatam, who had explained it so precisely. Well, for this past cruise we used the cruiseline Business Class. It was very affordable and for going across the pond I need it.

We were booked on AA 0095 Mad-JFK. All checked in the night before. When I checked the app the morning of instead of the AA flight, there was a later IB flight. (Not the code share of the AA0095).

Personally we were happy because the AA plane didn’t even have screens in the seats. Business class is given preloaded IPads. The AA agent said that the original 0095 had to change equipment and the new equipment had fewer seats in Business.

I’m guessing that our bulk seats are the first to get bumped? The flight wasn’t technically overbooked and a nonbusiness flyer Im not privy to all the rules.

So anyway we hung out in the Iberia lounge which was very comfortable and an excellent selection of food choices and drinks. We were treated very well in business class. The dining and entertainment including free WiFi was first class. Here’s a snap of the starters for dinner. Authentic Spanish food. 362b702393f0d77e93db6b5292c7e43f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m guessing that our bulk seats are the first to get bumped?
I'm not sure that there's any universal rule amongst airlines, or even within the same airline on different occasions. Sometimes, events like this mean that the airline just has to take a pragmatic approach about trying to get everyone out somehow, and considerations like frequent flyer status and fare paid may take second place or worse.

How long were you delayed for? Off the top of my head, I think that you may be entitled to IDB compensation, but whether it's €300 or €600 depends on the times at which your replacement flight actually operated.

Which date did you fly?

I see that AA95 on Thursday 12th was operated by a 757, rather than the usual 767. The 757s have 24 seats in business class but they do have full screens for IFE (on longhaul flights, they are removed when the 757s do domestic/shorthaul services), whereas the 767s have 28 seats in business class.

If you were moved off AA and put on Iberia that's a minor upgrade, IMO.

Which date did you fly?

I see that AA95 on Thursday 12th was operated by a 757, rather than the usual 767. The 757s have 24 seats in business class but they do have full screens for IFE (on longhaul flights, they are removed when the 757s do domestic/shorthaul services), whereas the 767s have 28 seats in business class.

If you were moved off AA and put on Iberia that's a minor upgrade, IMO.

It was yesterday 12 July. I sent an email to AA customer service regarding the EU regulations with the details. If we’re entitled, we’ll get something, if not, we’re home safe and sound and had a pleasant flight home. I was just a little shocked that I was automatically bumped without consent.

I was just a little shocked that I was automatically bumped without consent.

Don't be. When there's a an aircraft swap to a plane with fewer seats in your booked cabin, it's simple math- someone isn't going to get a seat. The airline will use whatever method they use to determine who that is, but your guess that it's because you had discounted 3rd party tickets is as likely as any. The airline will then automatically rebook those passengers. If you don't like the rebooked itinerary, you can usually suggest an alternative that is more to your liking for whatever reason.

This is different from an oversold situation, in which the aircraft doesn't change but the airline has booked more passengers than there are seats. This is common, as there are usually some passengers who don't show up or change their plans at the last minute. When it doesn't quite work out, this is the situation when you normally hear the airline ask for volunteers in exchange for some form of compensation, and it's only if they don't get enough volunteers that they will involuntarily deny boarding to someone (and rebook them, of course)